Parents of the 60's70's80's

<p>How was high school/life back then? It seems really great and awesome in movies/tv/culture/books. It seems like all those decades were super cool and magical/surreal. In the basics was life better then than now? How was it? I wish I could experience them. Please be detail specific =)</p>

<p>Things are almost always better in movies/tv/culture/books. AND they always look better in retrospect. Plenty of us had plenty to worry about. The Vietnam war was going strong when I was in high school and so was the draft.</p>

<p>Though it was "super cool" that MC-5 played a concert at my HS in suburban Detroit.</p>

<p>Well, girls couldn't wear pants to school until I was in 7th grade, even if it was below zero. There also were no sports for them. Kids had the same cliques. We didn't do any social networking except the telephone and most people had only one of those in their houses. No computers, video games or smart phones so we were able to self entertain more. We didn't (or at least no one I knew) didn't go on college visits. Most of us just applied to the local schools. </p>

<p>I wouldn't say the times were awesome. I have no urge to relive my high school days. School was much more structured then than it is now. We sat at desks in straight rows and our parents backed up the teachers. No one worried if it wasn't fair. Special ed kids were rarely seen as they were confined to a classroom. </p>

<p>I do often miss the more innocence times. There wasn't the deluge of information that there is now. There was more optimism. But I do remember my parents being scared about the hippies at my sister's school. And the race riots that broke out the night the same sister was at a Monkees concert.</p>

<p>
[quote]
It seems like all those decades were super cool and magical/surreal.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Magical? Surreal? No, it just seemed like regular ole "life." </p>

<p>I went to high school in the late 70's. I had a great time in high school, not because of the particular era, but because I went to a nice school with supportive faculty and basically good, friendly students, had some really close friends, and made good memories. Nothing particularly special about it. I was lucky to have good experiences; I was not hungry, my parents didn't beat me, other kids treated me well, and I had adults around me who looked after my welfare.</p>

<p>The music was good but that was about it (graduated hs 1980). I did manage to see nearly all the legendary rock bands in concert.</p>

<p>I do agree that without the deluge of information out there, things didn't seem so threatening as they often do now. As kids we roamed the neighborhood for hours, often the whole day without anyone being concerned. Parents were not nearly as overprotective as they are now. And we had to entertain ourselves. Without all the electronic stuff we have now. People didn't seem as materialistic back then either. Wait, maybe those * were * the good old days.....</p>

<p>Late 60's and early 70's were pretty magical. New music that still endures, new lifestyles, youth culture, not much restriction on just taking off and going across country at the drop of a hat. No AIDS, "shacking up" after 3 weeks, gas $0.35/gallon, cigs $0.50/pack. Very much a sense that anything you wanted to do was OK.</p>

<p>I started high school in 1971 and graduated from college in 1979. The fashions were pretty awful (the colors of the decade were browns, oranges, yellows...and avocado green for appliances) but on the other hand, the movies were terrific - the '70s were a golden age for film. There was a lot more crime (I grew up in a major city), but it was much less expensive, even relatively speaking, to see those movies, or plays/concerts. There was a lot more discrimination: racial, sexual, etc., which is something that’s improved greatly since then, even though it hasn't disappeared.</p>

<p>The drinking age in my state was 18. There were no ATMs - if you needed money, you had to get it from your bank, which was only open M-F from 9-3. Few stores were open on Sunday or late at night. Some baseball games were played in the late afternoon/early evening when kids could actually go see them, rather than being scheduled to get the most TV ad revenue. </p>

<p>TV viewing wasn’t nearly as fragmented, since most people had only the basic broadcast channels to watch. Although there was some good music, radio stations played a lot of disco. Then again, there were actual DJs at radio stations, rather than Clear Channel-programmed computers. The architecture was pretty hideous. Watergate made us very cynical about politics. Terrorists hijacked planes, but mainly in order to take hostages to negotiate for something, not to crash them into buildings.</p>

<p>As with any era, the '70s had some wonderful things I wish we could get back, and some others that I'm happy to see gone.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Although there was some good music, radio stations played a lot of disco.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I remember in the late 70's thinking I'd been born a decade too late. I thought the music of the late 70's-early 80's sucked, with a few notable exceptions. I much preferred the great stuff which came out in the 60's.</p>

<p>I weighed 126 pounds and I must say that was pretty nice.</p>

<p>Loved the music of the early 70s. I always feel sorry for people who were born after 1970 because they missed The Beatles. I do wish sometimes that I was younger during the 80s so I could have enjoyed more of the New Wave music. I'm sorry I missed Nirvana, but I am loving the Foo Fighters in my old age.</p>

<p>Growing up in the 70's, I really enjoyed watching Happy Days and wishing we lived in the magical and surreal 50's :)</p>

<p>rfav32, have you seen the film Midnight in Paris?</p>

<p>The area I grew up in and went to high school in inspired the movie, "Footloose." I don't recognize or relate to those movies from the 1980's because they are so far removed from my actual experience. I love Fast Times at Ridgemont High and The Breakfast Club, but they were nothing like what I experienced growing up in the 1980s. Mine was a very Wonder Years meets Little House on the Prarie experience.</p>

<p>Let's see I was in grade school in the 1960s. We spent all our time, when we weren't in school, outside running around the neighborhood on foot and on bikes. TV had 3 channels. The Brady Bunch was on in prime time. Disneyland really was the happiest place on earth. That stuff was great. On the other hand, the "colored" kids had to attend a different school in a poor part of town literally across the tracks. We girls were not allowed to wear pants to school.</p>

<p>Graduated high school in 1978. Teenagers were about the same back then and getting up to the exact same mischief, but life was a bit simpler without the internet.</p>

<p>High school in the early 70s. No jeans allowed. No short skirts. No sandals. Cigarette vending machines everywhere and yes I think they were 50 cents. Teachers smoked, parents smoked, kids smoked (but 2 feet off school property). I remember gas at 28 cents a gallon. We were called young men and young women by the teachers and staff. No ballcaps inside. I think minimum wage was under $2 an hour. I participated in a sport...on the boys team. You took the ACT and the SAT once and applied to three or four colleges. Rich people had a "kids" phone number. But all the drama, angst and stuff still existed so in many ways, the kids dress sloppy or the other s word, gas is half of minimum wage instead of 20% of an hour's pay, you can get money (if you have it) anytime anywhere, there is fast food (my town didn't have a McDonalds) and you don't have to go to a theater to see a movie... but in many ways life isn't so different.</p>

<p>I went to HS in the late 60s and college in the early 70s. Some things were better then. Some things are better now.</p>

<p>Better Then
Mostly the music - from the coming of the Beatles in '64 until the beginning of Disco in the mid-70s was without question the greatest era of popular music ever. There also a cultural/social excitement in the air that is missing today - the space program, the civil rights movement, social change, the possibilities seemed to be opening up. Today the possibilities seem to be shrinking and closing in around us. </p>

<p>Better Now
Computers - spreadsheets, word processing, communication - e-mail, texting, PDFs, cell-phones, even FAXes. None of that existed back then. Neither did the internet. I love the internet and it's vast wealth of knowledge and ability to find and buy things at my fingertips. Television picture and sound quality is much improved now. But I guess it didn't have to be all that good back then since there were only three channels to choose from and only a handful of shows broadcast in color.</p>

<p>Airline travel was far more comfortable and glamorous back then, but it was far rarer and way more expensive too. Most kids in my high school had never flown on an airplane in their lives. Back then, unless you were rich and could afford to fly, traveling from coast to coast didn't take all day. It took all week.</p>

<p>Smoking is far less common now, and that's wonderful. Women's sports didn't exist to speak of then, and their career choices in general were very limited. But now the opportunities for girls are much, much better.</p>

<p>Food is also better now. More variety. More interesting and spicy ethnic food is available now. Food that was not common or totally unavailable back then includes: Bagels, tortillas, salsa, guacamole, sushi, salads consisting of much more than iceberg lettuce, past much beyond bland spaghetti, Chinese food much beyond bland chop suey and bland sweet & sour pork, Thai food, Indian food, Greek food, etc, etc. </p>

<p>I'm kinda sad that I won't live to see some of the wonders of the future that young people today will eventually come to know. Some day all the whiz-bang gadgets we have today will look just as antiquated as rotary dial telephones and 8-track tape decks do now. But overall I wouldn't trade places. I'm feel fortunate that I grew up in the era of JFK, The Beatles, and Muhammad Ali. It was great.</p>

<p>High school in the 80s here. It was a lot like the Breakfast Club in terms of the main groups at my high school. There were over five hundred people in my graduating class, and less than 10% of the class went on to a four-year college. People never talked about college, and no one did any preparation for the SAT. My guidance counselor told me when I turned in my recommendation forms for her to fill out that she really didn't think it was a good idea for girls to go to college, because that took spots away from boys, who needed to earn money.</p>

<p>
[quote]
My guidance counselor told me when I turned in my recommendation forms for her to fill out that she really didn't think it was a good idea for girls to go to college, because that took spots away from boys, who needed to earn money.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>^^^Well, that might have seemed "surreal," but I doubt it was magical, was it?</p>

<p>I spent most of the 70's in HS and college.</p>

<p>Times Square was a sleazy, squalid place which we used to sneak down to hang out in.</p>

<p>Race riots existed and a street gang had its HQ in the vestibule of my building.</p>

<p>I loved my striped, stacked patent leather platform shoes, Huckapoo shirts and bell bottom jeans. I combed my Jewfro with an Afro pick and was SO happy that there were no boys in my gym class although I had doubts about some of the leaders. </p>

<p>It was a slower, more innocent time or so I thought until I learned 20 years later that I was about the only girl NOT molested by one of my teachers. Although my friends said it was because I didn't exude victim, my first thought was I wasn't even pretty enough for HIM!</p>

<p>I was in high school and college in the '80s. I grew up in a very suburban middle class area. There were about 5 black people in my high school.</p>

<p>I wore gloria vanderbilt jeans, carried a le sac purse, and if I wanted to talk on the phone - and I did! I had to stretch the kitchen phone extension across the kitchen into the laundry room. The cord was a long tangly mess.</p>

<p>My first job paid me $1.85/hr My first concert in 1st grade was David Cassidy and my first album was Andy Gibb. I saw Wham! in 8th grade.</p>

<p>I thumbed through a college book to find a few colleges and applied handwritten applications. I went out the night before sat's and never imagined actually studying for it.</p>

<p>Seems to me no one was that concerned with kids drinking beer in high school and drunk driving was not talked about yet. I remember when the seat belt law came in and people had fits over it. </p>

<p>I saw mtv on it's first day back when they had vj's and video killed the radio star. My cable tv had a long cable attached to a box. </p>

<p>I played outside as a kid all day outside with the neighbors - kick the can, ghost in the graveyard, stickball. I flipped for baseball cards. (clearly I was a tomboy) Moms yelled out the door when it was time for dinner. Someone getting an appliance delivery was the height of excitement to snag the big cardboard box.</p>

<p>thanks MDMOM....now I remember the best thing about the 70's</p>