<p>Truthfully, I’m not sure that actually making a spreadsheet for choosing a school is that important. I think it’s more important to have the dialogue on which items are most important to the student and how each school matched/didn’t match those items. I remember that DS didn’t really know how to think about each school in relation to the others so asking what really is/isn’t that important was critical. With DD we have learned a lot more and did a lot more questioning up front so the choices are better.</p>
<p>When we visited with the Honors college director at Tulane a few weeks ago he asked DD where she was applying and said that at least her list made sense. Many of the students he sees apparently have lists that just don’t match anything.</p>
<p>*I’ve *kept spreadsheets for info like size, scores, deadlines, costs, etc. But when Son narrowed his list from 8 schools to 4, he didn’t look at a spreadsheet. He went by his feelings; I knew which ones he would eliminate even before he said it. Now that we’re down to 4 and have made second visits to 2, one has fallen off because as between the 2, he likes one more than the other. </p>
<p>One thing that makes it easier for us is that he has a very common major, so we don’t have to judge a school he loves without his exact major against one with the major but without the love.</p>
<p>So my nervousness got the better of me in regards to merit aid notifications for D2. Since nothing came in the mail by March 1st as promised I had her send an email to FA office over the weekend. She was appalled that she had to do it…sheesh! Anyway the school responded first thing this morning! I was impressed with that. Very nice note saying “first round of offers went out Friday” and that she would hear either way sometime this month. If she is in the first round I think it would come today or tomorrow since we are OOS. Can I say again how I hate to wait!!! I worry because she is an OOS student at a public and is already getting big athletic money. Do you think that would put her further down the list even though her stats are at the top for the school???</p>
<p>S1 talked to us a LOT through the whole process. It was only those two weeks in April when he clammed up. I suspect he was going through various phases of trying on each school, weighing it all and mulling it over, and just listening to the voices inside his head.</p>
<p>Lindz, I did all the FA/IDOC stuff – what a pain THAT was!</p>
<p>I think my D already has a rank order of her colleges in her own mind. If all the stars, planets and their various moons align, which basically means they accept her and give her enough money, I think she already knows which school she will attend. I doubt very much if a spreadsheet is in her future, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if she proves me wrong. </p>
<p>The one major thing I have learned during this process is that there are a lot of great schools out there. I think most kids can be happy at a number of schools, and hopefully they have picked a good list to apply to. My Freshman D will have a different list of schools, but I hope that she also picks schools she would be happy to attend.</p>
<p>I think that is the hardest thing to remember…there is no one perfect school (even though they think there is) and nothing is perfect! We visited 2 schools this weekend. One of them is in my d’s mind her dream…except she decided she didn’t like where the dorms are relative to the campus. The other school (where I would personally love to be) is in too “boring” a place for her. I think for kids who don’t have a major academic area upon which to judge it is more difficult because it has to do with “feelings”, all of which are fleeting. Bottom line…she could be happy at lots of places given a chance!</p>
<p>YEAH!!! She got the letter from the University and she got the merit scholarship! My stomach had been in knots! What a relief and a blessing! I am so grateful that her COA will be covered with the combination of athletic and academic scholarships! I cried and she took it in stride.</p>
<p>NM, that is fabulous! You’ve been ahead of the rest of us through the journey, and I hope you keep leading the way for our kids to go to the right place in the right way for the whole family. I’m thrilled for all of you.</p>
<p>You’re right Crzymom, there isn’t just ONE place the kids could be happy, and my S is like your D, there isn’t the focus on a major to drive the process. Two months from now we’ll all be exhaling (well, except for the part about how we’ll pay for it with a crashing economy, but that’s a discussion for different forums)!</p>
<p>Oh my goodness North MInn that is such wonderful news! Congratulations to your D. I hope she is giving herself credit for her work ethic and enormous brain! I hope you are giving yourself credit for all the shuttling about, camps, tournaments watching her play and cheering her on in 100+ degree heat (and perhaps the occasional nag session )</p>
<p>lindz how nice that all is pretty much decided. I am sure that both of mine will feel good about their decisions when they make them, it’s just the getting there that may be tough ;)</p>
<p>Thanks for all the kind words! I had to take a zantac to calm my stomach nerves! It seems like it has been a quick decision process for our family and I think it is because of the early comittment required for the sports part. She has worked hard both in the classroom and on the field. I am proud of her for showing others that you can be a “smart” athlete. Whew…exhaling ! I am sending positive thoughts and prayers for everyone still waiting for acceptances and merit notifications. You all have been great support when I felt I was going crazy waiting! Thanks again my virtual friends! Cheers to you with my virtual glass of wine! ;)</p>
<p>Jolynne, how was the trip to 'Bama and Austin? I’ve been dying to know! Can you bump the old thread so people see it and let us know how you/ds liked the schools?</p>