<p>CountingDown, ALMOST to his elbows. (He did get the ends trimmed.) </p>
<p>And nobody online has WHITE, white chinos. “Stone” is not okay, alas.</p>
<p>CountingDown, ALMOST to his elbows. (He did get the ends trimmed.) </p>
<p>And nobody online has WHITE, white chinos. “Stone” is not okay, alas.</p>
<p>Senior proms - how can that BE already?! HMW and Missypie, I think your S’s and mine would get along just fine with the hair. I have friends who look aghast when they see his hair in his senior pic…to me, it’s never been anything worth a battle.</p>
<p>Good news to share here (I’ve realized nobody IRL really cares until the final decision is made). Spoke to S last night about his safety, and whether he had any interest, as I need to send a deposit to secure a spot in the very small LA program he was accepted into. He said no, he’d rather go to the LAC in the midwest where he received good merit aid! This is the one he wasn’t at all interested in previously, but has been showing him a lot of love. I don’t understand why all schools don’t do that, at least the small ones. It works!</p>
<p>
Oregon101, I’m glad you asked this, because I am wondering the same thing. I don’t remember what we did for S1’s senior prom! Actually, S2 told me he thought prom is a waste of money. I am encouraging him to go, though, as you only have a senior prom once…(he missed his junior prom because he was at the State Forensics Tournament). He doesn’t have a steady gf, so there are no issues there.</p>
<p>Do y’all actually have two separate proms - one for juniors and one for seniors?</p>
<p>D’s big public h.s. = yes, separate proms. Interestingly the girls seem to have decided that one wears short dresses to junior prom and floor-length to senior prom. </p>
<p>S1’s small private = one prom.</p>
<p>We just have one prom, but it’s pretty much Seniors and their dates (whatever class they’re in.) The bigger deals are the end of year/end of season banquets that the ECs have…the choir banquet is the biggest and by most accounts, is more fun than prom. D has her first varsity drill team banquet coming up. For JV drill team (mostly freshman) the director has a “no dates” rule that all the girls secretly love. By varsity, many of the Jrs and Srs have steadies…some of the Sophs are dredging up dates but D refuses.</p>
<p>D’s school has junior and senior proms + a winter formal. ALL require (according to some of the girls) long dresses, fancy updo’s, shoes, nails, tanning, etc. We don’t go all out, but some girls in her school do.</p>
<p>Prom coincides with an accepted students event OOS so mine aren’t sure what they will do yet. I hope the girls will borrow dresses. </p>
<p>Last year the moms made dinner at one of their friend’s homes and the kids all came there. It was fun and I think, since only one of their friends had a bf, I think they enjoyed it as much as they would have enjoyed a dinner out. We waited on them and made the whole thing feel special. </p>
<p>This year I think more boys will be involved so am not sure how that will change the mix</p>
<p>oh and the Juniors put on the prom and Jrs and Seniors and their dates can go. No limos here but DH borrowed his parent’s Escalade to chauffeur the kids last year. He even dressed up and wore a tie.</p>
<p>historymom, that sounds lovely.</p>
<p>The fairly routine deal (as if any of this is routine) at the public h.s. involves massive photo sessions late afternoon; huge group limos or party buses; a trip into the city for a comedy club after prom; sleepovers; and a trip the next day to the beach or an amusement park or somebody’s beach/lake/Berkshires house.</p>
<p>I would love to do dress shopping, etc., again, but am content to live without the “prom-a” surrounding all the rest. </p>
<p>It remains to be seen whether S1 will go to his prom. I’d kind of like for him to, but it isn’t something I’ll push hard for.</p>
<p>Those of you shopping for prom dresses, don’t forget to add time for alterations, if necessary. I’ll never forget when D found a homecoming dress for $29 on the sale rack, then charged up $100 in alterations.</p>
<p>Prom is huge here. Groups are formed in January/February - couples and singles - to plan limo, dinner, pictures location, afterprom plans (usually a beach house), whose parents are chaperoning, etc.</p>
<p>When I was in high school, a group went to McDonalds for dinner, taking with them tablecloths, candles, silver, and china!</p>
<p>Jr. Prom the juniors can ask anyone. Typically long dresses. Dinner is included as part of the prom. For the seniors we have Senior Ball. Dinner is not included. We have indicated that we would host a sit down dinner if that is what the group decides. Still waiting to hear if that is a go and how many. I did limit it to 20 since parents will probably stay for picts etc. and any more than that would just be too many. Typically someone will host a before part – that was us last year and probably us again this year for dinner. Another parent hosted (for our D’s group) an after party and yet another parent (who happens to work at the HS and who knows the kids) hosted a co-ed sleep over for the group. Kids understood that there would be NO hanky-panky going on. They know the mom!!! Everything went great. The limo package was for 8 hours and took the kids every where which made all the parents breath easier. Hoping that the limo is in this year as well but waiting to hear. Prom and Ball are also hot here.</p>
<p>Another hurdle I need to over come is that sectionals are that day. Not sure when D will be done with her events (she always seems to make sectionals). Getting the hair done could be iffy. Oh well.</p>
<p>Hi all. It’s been quite awhile since I posted. Feb was a busy month with ECs every weekend and a scholarship interview thrown in one weekend. </p>
<p>DD did receive a small scholarship as a result of the interview. Also received money from another school yesterday. At this point it doesn’t matter much though. The bottom line, this year, seems to be about the money. No one place is as affordable as the state U (with a scholarship large enough to pay tuition) </p>
<p>She did an overnight in the honors dorm at State U recently. Liked it for the most part. She didn’t like the food. Loved one class she attended and liked the other. </p>
<p>A confession here—Harriet–my favorite word of the day–“prom-a” LOVE IT! </p>
<p>DD’s public school also has one prom for Jr/Srs. Like others the Jrs host it. It’s big here, but few students do limos, etc. We’ll find D’s dress over spring break as we’ll be visiting a larger city with many more options! Now the question is does she have a date? If so, will she be invited to the prom at the other public school in town? If she is, will she need 2 dresses?</p>
<p>RochesterMom - that is a shame with the sectionals conflict! For years our prom was the same weekend as the state meet, and there are a couple of runners that never got to go to prom because of that, so it was moved a couple of years ago…this year it is the day after the county meet…no heels allowed!!!</p>
<p>What class meet will your D be in? Both my D’s will probably be in the Class A meet (fingers crossed - no more injuries!!)</p>
<p>HMW, I didn’t think my son would go as he had eschewed most of the typical HS social activities (didn’t attend one football game, didn’t go to the junior prom, etc.) and he had been sick for a lot of the year and was trying to catch up in BC Calculus and AP Physics, among other things. But, he told me he had decided to go to the prom. I wondered, at this late date, where would he find a date. He’d pretty much ignored blissfully unware or intentionally the obvious interest of several girls over his HS career. So, I had no idea what to expect. He called a girl who had been in all of his classes freshman year and they had talked almost daily about homework (he knew had to do the problems and she was very organized and reasonably bright and very driven so he could learn what the homework was and could help her with the hardest of problems). According to parents in the know, she was the “hot” sought after girl in the high school that year, though because of her semi-professional/professional avocation as a ballet dancer, she didn’t appear to have time for a lot of socializing. She left the high school to go to a private school and then home schooled so she could have good academics and have time for dancing. So, he called her and sure enough, she said yes and off they went. We paid for prom tickets, a tux, boutoniere, flower thingy for her. She’s tall and thin and with heels, she sort of was tall enough for his 6’4"+ frame. They drove themselves with friends. I don’t recall what happened for dinner. After the prom, instead of going to an after-prom party, we ended up with three couples in our family room, and ultimately three boys and two girls sleeping in our house. Unlike Joy mentioned above, no one became pregnant, and my son’s date is a freshman at an Ivy. We were glad that he was going to the prom, although like you, HMW, we wouldn’t have pushed it. We were happy to pay for it under the circumstances.</p>
<p>Hm. My daugther’s prom dresses were her favorite parts of high school. I am not telling you what I spent.</p>
<p>Another mom here who S needs size 28 waist which he can’t usually find. We have had success at SYMS (discounted – found a gorgeous Ralph Lauren tux for $60.00, less than the cost of rental) and Urban Outfitters has many 28’s.</p>
<p>Don’t know about white chinos, though I do think we bought a pair at GAP, a stray 28 perhaps? Can’t remember.</p>
<p>Last year, my son came back from a spring break choir trip with a girlfriend - she was a senior, he a junior. After a couple of dates he said he was going to ask her to the choir banquet. I said, “Don’t be surprised if she asks you to prom.” Sure enough, that is what happened. I was so thrilled for her, because she hadn’t really dated in high school and there at the last minute, she had a date. (Being female, I identified more with her situation than with Son’s.) They’re still together and they think they’re going to prom together again this year. Both are on the spacey side and I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s in the middle of finals during prom, but I’m afraid to look up her school’s exam schedule.</p>
<p>D’s Prom is the last weekend in May. Sounds like you all have prom coming up sooner. I know by the time we go shopping for dresses, it seems like they’re mostly gone … so maybe we need to get going earlier this year!</p>
<p>Sweet story, shawbridge! Sounds like the ideal prom experience for both of them.</p>
<p>rrah, thanks.
I wish I could take the credit for prom-a - I first heard it from my D and her friends.</p>
<p>myth, alas, the problem (in addition to the size issue) is, the pants sold by the Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic, LLBean, Land’s End, etc. etc ad nauseum are not WHITE. They may be “stone” or some other variant that looks darn near white, but the boys are required to graduate in Blinding White Dress Pants (not jeans, not scrubs, not chefs’ pants, etc.). It comes down to what our parents knew as “white ducks” (because it’s going to be much too hot for white flannels). </p>
<p>And my 34 inseam guy isn’t QUITE as skinny as yours, CountingDown! We have a hard time finding pants in general but your quest must be nearly impossible.</p>
<p>oh myth…any size 3 leftovers from your D’s day floating around?<br>
We should do a dress exchange ya’ll</p>