<p>If I recall, #theorymom’s S really liked WPI, but it was a lot more $$$ and she was going to be number-crunching. Hope it works out #TM!</p>
<p>You’re right.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Question for those who know FA/scholarship info. D2 was awarded a small local scholarship and just received the check made out to her, not the university and her. She wants to use the cash for her new laptop. Is that ok? Can’t find anything that says it has to be used for direct school costs. I should also call NCAA to make sure it is ok with them, right?</p>
<p>Fireflyscout
It’s WPI here too!
S had been reacting to my concerns on cost so had tried not to be overly enthusiastic with “awesome” only crossing his lips once, but when I asked him last night how certain he was that WPI was the place for him he said " like a 100%"
They had upped his merit by about half and I just sent in the CCS Profile (on the suggestion of their Financial Aid counselor - largely an exercise in futility I suspect)
But the decision has been made (unless S totally blows off his work) to make the financial effort to send him where he fits. Sure wish it was closer and less expensive, but it is what it is and if he blooms there it will be well worth it.
Hope to meet you there on parents day Firefly (or whatever they call it when we drop off our students and they whisk them away) And gee whiz school starts early! Practically mid-August. We may already be east on summer visits, will have to plan ahead somehow and get his stuff shipped early, or just plan to buy most everything there (probably the best plan)
Congrats to all who have come to their decisions. It is all bittersweet in some ways - having to say goodbye to the schools that were so generous and truly seemed to want him, but I suspect they are used to it and it is part of the drill for them.
S feels bad too and has agreed that personal notes from him are in order - especially to the departments that offered him scholarships over and above the admissions awards. I guess when that is done, we are truly “done”.</p>
<p>OK, let’s hear it for WPI! #theory & firefly – I’ll see you on August 23 at 1:00 PM in the center of the Quad!!!</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Congrats on the decision. Is WPI “winning” with three decisions?</p>
<p>Are there really still schools where you drop them off and then go home? S’s top schools all just expect the parents to stay for a few days. My friends say the same thing about their kids’ schools. </p>
<p>It’s got to be different with the huge schools, right? I can’t imagine what they’d do with everybody.</p>
<p>They give the parents some sort of presentation I think, but they want you to “leave” your kid. This won’t be a problem for my kid (might be a problem for <em>me</em>)</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>yes you me firefly and about 750 other pairs of parents - I’ll be the one trying to act like I don’t care that I’ll not see my son again until Christmas :-/</p>
<p>Seriously though it would be cool to meet up with my CC cyber pals</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>At Son’s school, you’re supposed to move them in on a Friday, then they have “parents’ orientation” on Saturday and Sunday, then the parents leave and the freshmen are there all that week before the other students move in the following weekend. I guess it sort of makes sense…students who choose a school with 1200-1400 students are likely looking for a nurturing environment…</p>
<p>Thanks to these posts, I remembered to book our hotel for that weekend…#1 (out of 6!) on Trip Advisor!</p>
<p>missypie–I like that your son’s orientation was the weekend…</p>
<p>at my son’s school last fall we went up on a Friday to shop etc, however dorms weren’t open for students to move into until Sunday, so after a busy morning of moving in we attended a brief, (1 hr) orientation for parents and students, then students go off to a group experience on the campus grounds while parents are supposed to leave…</p>
<p>our “official” goodbye was outside of the bldg where the orientation was, for 15 minutes. This was tough for me…thank goodness for sunglasses.</p>
<p>Missypie, if your contact picks Trinity, you’ll be sure to get a cybermargarita from me as a finders fee. :-)</p>
<p>For my D at UC Berkeley (wow, weird to even say that; it’s so new!) orientation takes place for 1-1/2 days in June or July and there is a parent orientation at the same time. “Welcome Week” occurs before classes start and parents basically drop off, hug and kiss and go off sobbing to their homes. When my son attended a different UC, it was basically the same thing.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>I want a real margarita. We can meet some day in San Marcos for outlet shopping and drinks!</p>
<p>^^^ I wanna come tooo!!!</p>
<p>Congrats on the WPI decisions.</p>
<p>I’m not sure how our orientation works–now all you guys are ahead of me! For S1, it was just a drop off and leave. You were lucky if you could even park the car it was such a zoo. WVU is bigger so I’m not expecting to be there longer than it takes to drop off the suitcases and clean the room (my contribution wherever I go is deep cleaning).</p>
<p><a href=“my%20contribution%20wherever%20I%20go%20is%20deep%20cleaning”>quote</a>.
[/quote]
</p>
<p>Note to self: Bring cleaning supplies (esp if he ends up in the “boys’” dorm instead of coed). Hmm…maybe it’s time to start the next checklist!</p>
<p>I admit that I looked through the Pottery Barn Home catalogue yesterday for bedding…as if Son cares at all what his bedding is. Now, in two years when Daughter goes away…</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>LOL, I know how the orientation at S’s 95% school works, just not sure if he’s going there. Fingers are still crossed that he’ll ask us to write the check as both of my stepdaughters live within 15 miles of the school so there’d be no hassling with hotels for orientation!</p>
<p>Congrats, #TM, I’m thrilled that your S found the fit and that you could make it work for him.</p>
<p>Congrats Chintzy! So glad your D is happy with Wake. We’ll honk as we pass each other on the way to NC over the next 4 years.</p>
<p>Hobie</p>
<p>chintzygirls’ bday made me think of my own kids’ b-day. I had been in labor for about two days and ultimately my mindset was “I don’t care if it’s my Doc or the janitor, just get these babies OUT!” </p>
<p>I think I am there again only this time it’s “I don’t care if it’s This U or That U just please make a blasted decision!!!”</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Sounds like me. Son weighed 11 lbs at birth…My mindset was, “I don’t care if you use a rusty saw, just get this child out of me.”</p>