Parents of the high school class of 09

<p>:) @ myth and shawbridge.</p>

<p>Congrats sb. I think that a week from today we may have answers but what in the sam hill do I know.</p>

<p>well-Hmom–if they don’t decide you will not have to be sad about them going…there is that :rolleyes:</p>

<p>It is so nice to read everyone’s posts about final choices (and subsequent relief!), I am sure all the S’s and D’s are happy with their choices, and I am happy for the parents as well!!</p>

<p>We are with choice here too, but gotta keep it on the down low until D contacts the other coaches that were actively recruiting her, I wouldn’t want any chance of one seeing it here or on the choice’s site before they heard from her. </p>

<p>Loved the due date stories - D had her “arrival date” changed to two weeks earlier after the ultrasound, OB thought I had to be farther along, but she did arrive four days after the original due date. I ended up being out of work a full month before she finally showed up!</p>

<p>Hmmmm…going to have to separate you two, Shaw and Myth. Historymom, one step forward, two steps back? Any steps closer to me?</p>

<p>And for the record, S2 was a month early, 2.5 hour labor and has been in a hurry ever since!</p>

<p>Too funny about labor and delivery stories. D2 was 3 weeks early and a 45 minute labor! And as you know she verballed last year as a junior and accepted right away as soon as apps could go in. She is also always quick to get things done. ;)</p>

<p>D1 9 days late- always late. D2 8 days early -always early. D1 came out screaming really loudly always screaming. D2 came unusually quiet- remains the same. ??? D1 would not apply early D2 prob will, already has talked about it.</p>

<p>I’m loving these labor and delivery stories - another way of bonding as our chicks leave the nest.</p>

<p>On another topic, I just had an email from D’s college in response to my query about orientation schedule (so I can make hotel reservations for me and DH). I expected this - there is a definite time when they “ask parents to say goodbye to their student.” </p>

<p>4:30 pm on Sunday, August 23.</p>

<p>Seeing it in print made it real. Sniff.</p>

<p>PRJ
Yes, kinda of lumpy throated here too when they said at WPI that they transition the parents out of there pretty definitively.
In their case I think they said, they have a gang of upperclass students on hand in the quad to unload cars and move stuff to dorm rooms. I think they said parents can come see the rooms and help the kids unpack and then they ask them to say goodbye to the kids (RA’s standing by) and they have a parent orientation at that time - then they ask us to LEAVE. sniff</p>

<p>SJTH why yes, the one back on the table is close to your home and closer to your heart ;)</p>

<p>FWIW though the labor was protracted, the pregnancy was not. They were 4 weeks early! 5 10 and 5 15</p>

<p>here’s a tissue PRJ :(</p>

<p>hm - thanks :)</p>

<p>and I am wishing you good luck, patience, and as many margaritas as necessary as the decision process drags on ;)</p>

<p>It’s driving me crazy that I haven’t seen the dorm rooms. Son and Husband saw them when they visited, but we weren’t able to get in the dorms on the second visit. How will I know what to buy at the Container Store??!!! I’ve searched online for pix, but nothing except the outside.</p>

<p>Also, to the veterans out there, how do they hang stuff on those cinderblock walls?</p>

<p>Historymom, I think you will be the winner in the “parents of kids who will choose last” although my S will give your Ds a run for their money. Berkeley has the overnight on Sun, so his decision is delayed until then. Ick</p>

<p>Deleted all the forums on my Control panel but the last two, and will start loading in my D’s choices soon. And so it goes</p>

<p>At S1’s school, move-in day is on Saturday, with convocation mid-afternoon, followed by a parade w/drum/bagpipe band, students and families to the main gate. Students go through the gate to the cheering of RAs, O-Week volunteers and other assorted faculty/staff, and parents go to the right to an outdoor reception. Kind O-Aides are at the gate with boxes of tissues for the parents. (I took pics.) Ted O’Neill was at the reception to console parents.</p>

<p>I have never seen such happy kids as the first years when they run through those gates to their new lives. That kept me from crying (for about a week). The second week is when it all hit me.</p>

<p>We went back to our hotel a block from campus, utterly drained. Took a nap, went out for ribs, stopped off at a local diner in the AM and drove home.</p>

<p>Northminn, I don’t think we should ever introduce my S2 and your D2…</p>

<p>and Historymom, did I mention that my husband played soccer there?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Are they trying to make the parents sob? Parades make me cry, bagpipes make me cry (too many Presbyterian funerals)…I’d be a weepy mess, even if it was someone else’s kid!</p>

<p>25 year old D just called with a scary story. Last night she and two of her roomates smelled gas. It was midnight and very unsual for them to all be up and together. They debated and then called the gas company (YEAH moms for instilling some caution in them) and the gas company arrived 30 minutes later. This is in Brooklynn in a building built in the 1800’s. They went to the apartment below where a 17 month old lives. D has sat for him. And then the apartment below which was it–an elderly lady had just moved in and left her stove on. The gas men said the gas hit them in the face when they opened the door and that she would not have awakened this a.m. D and her roomates got to bed at 3 am. She is very happy with the outcome and wondered aloud about how they could have just gone to bed as the smell was very faint and what might have happened. This is the D that has teased me forever about how paranoid and anxious I can be about such things. The kids use to play a game they called “have you ever thought of…” and name some bizarre situation and sadly, I usually had!
So keep up the teaching and nagging…thank goodness it does sink in.</p>

<p>Wow oregon101, what a terrible and wonderful thing to happen all at once. So glad they were willing to step in and act and that everyone is OK.</p>

<p>oregon 101 kudos to your D and to you for raising her right! Thank God they were willing to get involved! The poor woman who left her gas on must be saddened by what could have happened.</p>

<p>Update!!! Kumitedad you are probably right but I think that one of my Ds has made a decision. She is on her way home from her overnight and sh bought the shirt, was extremely chatty about her experience and seemed to love everything about it. I will know more tonight when she gets home but maybe, just maybe I will have only one with a decision to make tomorrow.</p>

<p>Oooo, historymom! Fingers crossed!</p>

<p>oregon101, you definitely raised her well. Hats off to you for that, and to her for listening to that inner voice and doing the right thing.</p>

<p>Missypie - 3M command hooks - best thing since cinderblocks were invented. The strips are replaceable, so you reuse the hooks year after year. I have been stocking up for a while now…I noticed a whole display in Bed Bath and Beyond set up already in preparation for grad season…</p>