Parents of the high school class of 09

<p>Missypie: Yep,use command hooks! Also extra heavy duty velcro strips with sticky backs! You can get a huge roll at Walmart.
Can also use poster putty for very light things…like…uh…posters!:wink:
D1 has also used a little container with suction cups attached to the wall up by her loft to hold her glasses and cell phone. She loved the stick on push lights, too, especially in her dark closet and by her head in the loft for soft lighting that didn’t disturb roommate. The girls also ran a thin wire/cable around the room from command hook to hook and then used little clips to hang things from the wire.</p>

<p>Our BIG news of the day: D1 just found out she got a great summer internship with a professional sports team halfway across the country!!! She is thrilled. I am excited but sad she won’t be home for the first time!!! :frowning: Bittersweet. They grow up too fast and I will really miss her this summer.</p>

<p>Oregon, wow–that is a scary, but re-affirming story.</p>

<p>Northminn–what a thrill for your D! What year is she and major?</p>

<p>Wow. What a wonderful thread, and what a wonderful group you guys I. I promise I will play nice with Shaw!</p>

<p>The gas story is scary and kudos to our young heroine.</p>

<p>And wow, an internship with a professional team. So fabulous.</p>

<p>Thank you all for letting me hang out with you.</p>

<p>More data on labor/delivery and college: both kids full term. Boring, right? D, 18 hours of labor until an eventual C-Section. I think the doctor got tired of waiting. She came out beautiful. Applied ED but was deferred, but eventually accepted RD and now attends. Yeah, kind of similar to birth, don’t you think?</p>

<p>S: Less labor. Normal delivery but got his shoulders stuck after his head was already born. No amount of pushing could dislodge him, until finally two doctors and a suction thing-y did it. Applied ED, deferred, decided against deferred school, accepted is fav RD. Some push-pull there I suppose.</p>

<p>Each decision was made the second the decision letter came, RD. So I suppose that’s as close to a perfectly full term baby as you can get.</p>

<p>So yes, seems to be holding.</p>

<p>Oh, and since Owlice isn’t here, you folks must be getting hungry.</p>

<p>::Puts out pitches of margaritas, plain, with salt and with sugar.</p>

<p>Puts out bowls of chips and salsa and guacamole (in honor of historymom and CA).</p>

<p>Puts out miniature spanikopitas, a cheese and cracker tray, and a basket of grapes, dark and green.::</p>

<p>Enjoy your vigil and keeping the stragglers company! The big spread comes when the last student has sent that deposit in. Then we offer fireworks.</p>

<p>Thanks mythmom! Appreciate your hospitality! I just poured a real life cocktail to celebrate! :wink: Quick…someone invite owlice to the party!</p>

<p>SJTH: Business/junior</p>

<p>myth, you’re the best. Without our owl we were all getting a bit peckish.</p>

<p>Yay, historymom! Fingers crossed.</p>

<p>oregon101, I’m so glad everything turned out okay for your daughter. What a good girl.</p>

<p>NM, your good news just keeps coming!!</p>

<p>Hang in there, everyone.</p>

<p>I love the birthing/college comparisons. The jury is still out on 2 of my 3 (too young). First one was small for dates, premature, heart stopped, emergency delivery/forceps, resuscitated, then perfect. Wow. Yes. Amazingly similar to the college process! </p>

<p>Nice work, mythmom!! Owlice would be so proud of her protegee.</p>

<p>Oregon, your D saved at least one life last night. Hope she realizes that.</p>

<p>My FIL had a similar situation recently – a neighbor heard my FIL’s CO detector going off, couldn’t get my FIL to answer the door (he is hard of hearing) and called my BIL who lives two blocks away to check on him. BIL called the fire department. Turns out it was the guy on the first floor (FIL is on the third) who had piles of newspapers and boxes all around the furnace, leaving no place for the CO to escape. The levels in the downstairs apt. were sky-high. We all have to look out for one another.</p>

<p>missypie – the school is very clear that it’s time for the parents to leave, and in fact start placement testing the next day (Sunday). But that gate and the music…very, very powerful and symbolic stuff.</p>

<p>Congrats to D1, NMinn!</p>

<p>Aw shucks. T’weren’t nothin’.</p>

<p>mythmom - too funny!</p>

<p>Mythmom, you’re messing with my diet–and I just found a perfect dress for graduation/other Spring events! What? OHHHH: cybercalories don’t count! Well, then I’m diving in to the guacamole–thanks for the nice party!</p>

<p>You go girl. I’m sure you will look beautiful.</p>

<p>Historymom- just having a thought here-- are the girls okay with being at two different schools? A couple of twins I know realized that they needed to see each other more often than just at holidays, so went to the same college. Different majors and dorms, but can hang out together if need be.</p>

<p>yeah–thanks all–she is a good girl and as I was retelling the story to DH and S they made it clear that these young woman did make an important decision that saved at least one life. But what was so scary is that today we could have learned that her end of the building had blown up. The gas guy spent about 15 minutes at 3 in the morning lecturing the 3 roomates about the situation and how everyone needs oxygen…D said it was a strange conversation but maybe even he needed to come down from the experience.</p>

<p>KarenC–I have wondered the same–so am hoping they pick the nearby Oregon Schools on their list. That way I can meet up with HM and the girls and show them the town. Also, be able to help in a winter storm. Oh–yeah–it is all about me!</p>

<p>KC and O101: The thought of what is “best” for them has never been far from my mind. The problem with them attending the same small private is that they are interested in pursuing the same major and that would put them in a position to be compared either by eachother or by others. I think college is a time for new beginnings, and in the same way that I would never encourage best friends to choose the same college just because of the friendship, I don’t think it’s a great idea for mine to be on the same small campus in the same major. They need to grow independently from one another.</p>

<p>That said it is their decision. They know what I think but also know that whatever they decide I am supportive. I pray about it nightly and feel like my opinions are only a part of the equation. Who knows, they were hosted in adjoining rooms and created separate time on this overnight so maybe my worry is for nothing.</p>

<p>I just think separation has to happen at some point doesn’t it? And college seems like the best, most supportive, place for it to happen. </p>

<p>Tired of Snow good to see you here…Is your S getting excited about VT? I mean as much as he shows excitement.</p>

<p>mythmom and counting down thanks for stopping in a dispensing experience and snacks.</p>

<p>SJTH I got an image of you diving into guacamole ;)</p>

<p>Ooops. I forgot they were interested in the same major. Here’s hoping they end up far enough apart for those benefits of separation, yet close enough that they can get together for a weekend if they are missing each other. </p>

<p>A year from now, when I am sweating this process out- all of you will be saying 'ah, no worries, it will all work out."</p>

<p>It’s early here, but hot enough that a round of Mojito’s would be a good idea. Hope they don’t clash with the guac.</p>

<p>hi–no time here as DH wants to watch a movie. HS I did not know they want the same major—just hoping one at WU and one at LF so they are close to each other and easy for you to visit and us Oregonians to hover a bit…</p>

<p>looks like I’m coming late to the party, but I will bring some yummy strawberry BD cake left over from yesterday. </p>

<p>I don’t have any labor analogies here, 24 hours of the nurses telling me how poorly she was doing then a C section. She has been doing great since, with only a few scares here and there.</p>

<p>Oregon101, I’m glad your daughter was a hero, and possibly saved more than one life.</p>

<p>HM - here is hoping you have one D’s decision out of the way. Maybe D and I can join the Oregon gathering if one or both end up in at UP, LF or UW. Although the actual Strawberry cake will probably be long gone.</p>

<p>Oregon, how frightening to realize how close your DD came to something horrible. I trust that the close brush with disaster put her that far away from a real one.</p>

<p>HM, how exciting that one D may be decided…do you think that will put pressure on your other to seal a deal?</p>

<p>We’re still waiting here, and it seems like S is as relaxed as he could be. ARGH.</p>

<p>Mythmom, nice to have you here with Owlice in absentia, and gracias para la margarita.</p>

<p>Thanks Mythmom :slight_smile: And Hmom, lol, after you got that image, I got it and it was NOT pretty. Cheers everyone–having a titch of wine and watching the Amer Idol results show.</p>