Parents of the high school class of 09

<p>oregon–I’m impressed your d and friends listened to their instincts that something was wrong. really important especially for our girls…thank god they acted promptly and noone was hurt.</p>

<p>hmom–congrats on one d’s decision. fyi-we have 6 sets of fraternal twins in our family, -my mom and her fraternal twin sister have always lived near each other, raised kids together (10 mins away) worked in the same company for many years and now are retired and widowed and share a companionship where they spend most days together. surely not for everyone but for them this has worked…</p>

<p>those strawberry margaritas are amazing, is that fresh berries I detect. thanks mythmom!</p>

<p>anyone else in prom-mania, seems btwn work, baseball, pride night etc, its all prom…picked up the altered prom dress today, playing with hair, makeup etc. (atypical for my d–but she’s having fun) boyfriend arrives tomorrow from Pa. prom is friday evening.</p>

<p>Thanks all for the nice comforting comments about D. I have to say that I am proud of her and her roomates for taking mature action.Still, if I let the “what if’s” in, it is pretty rattling.When I visted their apt. 2 years ago I made sure that there were working smoke detectors all over the place (I bought them) and talked to the girls about how they would escape in a fire (5th floor). But this was something different. So thanks for the good compliments which I passed on to her.
Soo-onward to college desicions and then details on dorms and such.</p>

<p>OMG OR101 So glad this had a happy ending.</p>

<p>Missypie, re: dorm furnishing. There’s an Ikea nearby also. We saw a beautiful dorm room that had been furnished (for display purposes) by them!</p>

<p>Don’t say what if’s. The first year my D was in college at Barnard a Columbia student went missing. It was terrifying. In the end, sadly, in was a suicide for an engineering student who wasn’t going to graduate on time,</p>

<p>But it brought me face to face with the possibility that something actually could happen in NYC.</p>

<p>Then I stopped thinking about it. Things can always happen. Perhaps some kind of alarm can be installed in the building for gas overages. Or is your D moving Oregon101?</p>

<p>D is having her wisdom teeth taken out today. Poor thing, but it’s one less task she can cross off the “get ready for college” list. We had to put it off because she was heavily involved in winter sports and activities. Now that school is winding down, she has more time to take off from school. Two months from today she will be arriving on campus! :eek:</p>

<p>We have the wisdom teeth to do as well during the summer. DD can’t take off any time before AP tests and then there’s too much going on at the end of May so scheduled for early July I think.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Tragedies and near-tragedies often spike my fears but in order to cope and live-long I have taken to reminding myself that odds are greater that they don’t. It actually started (since we’re on this pregnancy nostalgia trend) when I was pregnant with my first and fretting about all the things one learns can do wrong then. One day it also crossed my mind that if over-population is a huge problem it actually means that most pregnancies lead to healthy babies and a vast number of them live until old age. So while this does not halt my spike of “OMG that could happen to my kid/me/someone I love/anyone”–I have practiced balancing it with the slightly comforting statistical facts that “could also Not happen.” This is not an argument against hypervigilence, caution or good education…but I just think we have to balance that with a deep breath and consideration that our kids are also likely to be driving us crazy in some way for decades, thankfully. </p>

<p>I just hope that mine wait to tell me about the really hair-raising things I don’t know about until I am too old to remember them clearly.</p>

<p>We have a decision!!! TwinK will be attending Saint Mary’s College of California :smiley: :D</p>

<p>Thanks for all the support guys. Lindz I appreciated your story especially. </p>

<p>I know you San Francisco region people know about the twin sisters from SF who lived happily together, I believe as spinsters into their 90s. That’s the image I get in my head of my girls’ future if they don’t eventually put some geography between them. It’s not that I think that would be bad it’s just that I think it is limiting to be so connected to another human at such a young age.</p>

<p>mmah I hear you. DH was a bit of a hellion and I know some of his stories. I once made the mistake of sharing w/ MIL one she didn’t know and regretted it because it shocked her. Now I keep it zipped.</p>

<p>Congrats to historymom and TwinK!!! How exciting for all of you! Hooray!!! What a nice feeling!</p>

<p>Wisdom teeth are in our future, too. In fact, we have scheduled their removal for July 1.</p>

<p>We had something interesting regarding colleges happen today. One of my son’s counselors asked me if she could write a letter to two of his three waitlist schools to try to get him off their lists and gained admission. I told her that I could not answer for him – although I knew what the answer would be. So I returned to my classroom and told him the counselor’s idea. While he appreciates her thought, he told me that he made his decision, and he was not going to reconsider. He could not put himself or the rest of his friends and family through that. I admire his commitment.</p>

<p>Historymom, congratulations to TwinK! That is so exciting, and proof here on CC that finding the right schools can give options for a private education at a public price. Does TwinE feel more pressure to make her decision?</p>

<p>momreads, great for your S that he doesn’t want to drag the process out. My S was WL at one school, and he took it as a rejection and removed it from the list…smart boys.</p>

<p>Okay, for those of you going through the wisdom teeth process, you’ve got to see this video. It made me LOL loudly, and made me wistful for the little boy I remember. [YouTube</a> - David After Dentist](<a href=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txqiwrbYGrs]YouTube”>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txqiwrbYGrs)</p>

<p>historymom, HOOOOOORAAAAAAAAAAAY FOR TwinK! :smiley: Congratulations all around.</p>

<p>Adding three cheers for TwinK!</p>

<p>Historymom - Yay for TwinK! What fabulous news! Congrats to you both.</p>

<p>I’m laughing, hmom. I used to live in SF and saw those twins (identical) throughout the city always dressed alike down to purses, shoes, jewlery and hairstyle and they were always dressed to the nines! I always see Twink instead of TwinK when you’re posting and Im sure she’s got that twinkle in her eye this morning. Congrats on one down and one to go!</p>

<p>Great news historymom - Good luck to TwinK!!</p>

<p>BTW, When I was in HS, I went through Grand Central every morning. There was a set of identical twins - grown women who walked arm in arm in identical hat, shoes, purse, gloves, and coat. However, the colors were always different. One would wear red, the other blue. Next day, beige for one, the other black, next day purple for one, shades of green for the other. It always freaked me out. To top it off, they were stuck in a kindof mid-1950s time-warp.</p>

<p>When I was a kid, my opthamologist practiced with his identical twin. I had no idea there were two of them…then one day, I saw “my doctor” leaving the office with a garment bag over his shoulder…then “he” walked in to examine my eyes about a minute later…it was like something from a sit com.</p>

<p>yea! for TwinK</p>

<p>A monkey wrench has been thrown into our decision today by Renssalaer. Today we got a note saying if he chooses RPI that they will give him $15K a year - significantly more than WPI is offering.</p>

<p>We have not sent in any letters yet - one way or another, although we worked on drafting them last night. </p>

<p>S is at school and has not yet seen the offer. I am pretty sure he will still be set on WPI, but as the bill payer I think we need to look at this offer seriously</p>

<h1>TM, that’s great news about RPI, but certainly will throw a wrench into your S’s decision. It’s surprising that merit aid (is that what it is?) would be offered with just a week before decision time. Did your S visit both? Was RPI a school he liked even though possibly not as much as WPI? My S had one school that he liked more than the others, but it was close to $15K more a year, and the bill payers nixed it. Of course, unlike you, we hadn’t already said “yes.”</h1>

<p>Sounds like there’s going to be an interesting discussion tonight…hope it doesn’t get too emotional.</p>