<p>my d decided weeks ago, buuut, still has yet to let her school know…she’s going to New College of Florida, a wonderful fit for her. I was annoyed at her this evening for procrastinating and well, you know, but I could tell I was also just plain, well feeling the impending change of our lives, sad… I could have been nicer, and will tell her so in the morning. we moms (and dads) also have separation anxiety. I will miss her</p>
<p>Cpeltz, no you won’t sleep well tonight. You’ll be thinking about how to get him there, when to go to orientation, when he needs to be there in the fall, and how many twin x-l sheets he’ll need! It’s a tribute to him that he waded through his own morass to a decision. It’s a tribute to you that you gave him enough room to do so. And, congrats to all the rest who have posted new decisions. #theorymom; hang in there! theAnalyst, you are truly an inspiration to all of us. I’m honored to be on the same board as you.</p>
Isn’t that the truth! I had no idea that senior year would be so busy… or go by so fast. As to the work, mine has surprised me more than once by pulling through at the 11th hour (and I’m praying he does it again soon, as he’s been putting off a Very Important Paper himself). I think they’re still learning how to pace themselves at this age, but they seem to pull through by the skin of their teeth when we least expect it. Maybe if #theoryson stops brushing his teeth for a while. ;)</p>
<p>Congratulations to all deciders. I think the intensity of what colleges ask kids to do (e.g., have no academic flaws, take the most challenging courses at your school, have some ECs about which you a) show passion; and b) show unusual skill) is too great. Lots of kids will be burnt out before they get to college.</p>
<p>This happened to me at the end of college. I worked incredibly hard at Princeton – was a varsity athlete in a minor sport, had a job writing software or doing research, got high grades, graduated magna cum laude (very few people did), and did a senior thesis with a brilliant, famous advisor who didn’t communicate with mortals well. My thesis was published a couple of years later in the top journal in the field. I got admitted to all the top grad schools in the field with full ride (tuition plus stipend to cover living expenses, no TA or RA responsbilities). When I was packing to go off to grad school, my heart was just not in it. I didn’t love the grad school and quit at the end of the year, took a year off and went to one of the others, where I completed my PhD. Many more wrinkles to the story but the main point is that I should have taken a gap year. So, consider that if your kid looks burnt out.</p>
<p>cpeltz, congrats on the Marquette decision. I know that is the school you were pulling for. Jolynne, I think your son wants to get the prize for last decision on cc.</p>
<p>Writing two checks this morning, the check for D’s share of the limo, and the deposit check to…College of Wooster. Could have made that decision way back in February, when she got the full tuition offer, but we are glad she went down the sometimes very bumpy road that she did, the lessons learned were worth it. Not her first choice, but I think she will thrive there, and just the thought of getting the first four years out of the way debt-free makes all happy here!!!</p>
<p>Jolynne - only 72 hours to go??? The offer for RIT is still there if you haven’t taken that off the list!!</p>
<p>Here’s a DUH question from me… What happens to this thread as soon as they will all have graduated from high school? Does it become something else, like College Class of 2013 or something else? Just thought I would ask!</p>
<p>Slumom, that’s a good question. We probably should close this one out and start fresh. But if that is the case, wouldn’t it happen on May 1? I don’t know if I am ready for that kind of change.</p>
<p>S2 is going to a concert tonight to see Ryan Farish. I looked him up on the Internet and his apparent claim to fame is music played on the weather channel. I am now thoroughly intrigued. Anybody else heard of this singer?</p>
<p>Congrats on Wooster, Rachacha. I’ve only heard great things about it, and talk about regrets, I’d have a zillion if son turned down a full ride.</p>
<p>Any kids here waiting to get off a WL? I know one of HistoryMom’s D’s was on one, but is she fully decided on Saint Mary’s now?</p>
<p>thanks theorymom—ncf is in sarasota, fl – which is 3.5 hrs from our home. I’m very glad my d has chosen ncf–the small classes, close working relationships with prof’s and the contracts are exactly how she does her best.</p>
<p>I too find this thread and the spirit on here a breath of fresh air and support…</p>
<p>Lindz, sorry I missed congratulating you on your D’s decision for NCF. If the southeast was on my son’s geographic list, it’s definitely one he would have considered. Hooray!</p>
<p>My d’s friend just got notified from U of Washington that she is off the waitlist but hasn’t received the “official” notification. How long do they give you to accept when you come off a w/l right around 5/1? Just curious.</p>
<p>In the midst of studying for 4 APs. Son still has to write two last scholarship essays…the one scholarship he’s has a good chance at (for his main EC) just distributed its applications last week…talk about terrible timing…a few months ago would have been much better. So difficult to get more essays written at this late date!</p>
<p>Woohoo cpeltz!!! Way to go #theorymom!!! Rachacha, Congratulations!!! Wonderful news Lindz!!!</p>
<p>Marquette is a wonderful school! Have good friends whose kids absolutely love it!! College of Wooster is another school I am familiar with. Used to live about45 minutes away from there. They used to have some lovely little craft shops with great lunches and a beautiful nursery garden at the top of the hill before entering town. Good memories!</p>
<p>And special congratulations to lindz for surviving going through this process in back-to-back years! As someone who is very thankful for a bit of a breather between kids applying, my hat is off to you.</p>
<p>Great to hear all the good decision-making news here.</p>
<p>DS is half-heartedly prepping for his four AP exams and has so far avoided any dramatic senior slumping. I think after the APs he will be toast. He has one more scholarship essay to write. It’s only 500 words, but I’m not sure he has it in him. He’s just OVER those essays. And in the really important news: still no prom date! He has a prospect identified, but she has missed the last two days of school. I suggested he call her, and got a withering look that indicated I had just made the MOST ludicrous suggestion EVER.</p>
<p>2blue–aw thanks, it kind of feels like one long process, no real gap btwn the years. just signed onto the '13 thread while still on the '12 one.</p>
<p>I think as with most things with our 2nd children (or third…) we do get more relaxed and seasoned. for me the hard part is letting go and launching two of my kids back to back…</p>
<p>my third child, a 7th grade, comedic extrovert will now take center stage~</p>