Parents of the high school class of 09

<p>

</p>

<p>;)</p>

<p>And yes, I’m in the L.A. area, so you can count on a local parent here!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Wonderful news! I thought I might have to take up knitting to keep me occupied after my CC detox.</p>

<p>Thanks for the invite! I’ll still keep lurking here as well to find out what other goodies are in store! :)</p>

<p>But we still need to get through graduation, etc.</p>

<p>Oh, please, missypie, I have spent a shameful number of hours on vistaprint.com for graduation announcements for college for D2 (don’t care, do what you want, I am busy) and graduation party invitations for D3 (who said no to 3 designs already that I put in my portfolio, but she finally approved one) I ordered them today, thank goodness. </p>

<p>I have not heard anything at all from D3 about Prom! I don’t even know if she is going!
I just mailed in the deposit for Alfred University, too. </p>

<p>H & I don’t give a graduation party for graduating from college-but we send out announcements. We always have a party for high school graduation! We will have to have one next year for Only Son.</p>

<p>College Class of 2013 - Don’t worry, I think we’ll be posting forever! We’ll be here obsessing over graduation parties, graduation gifts, graduation speeches (That’s yours Sharon ohio, congrats!), BFs, GFs, summer jobs, meal plans, how much to pack, what to leave behind, orientation days, whether or not the boys will ever call again, whether or not the girls will stop calling, student health care, “dirtying the nest”, dorm accessories, drop-off days -EEEK! drop off days!! I better stop while I’m ahead!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Slumom, you make me feel like such a lazy slug for just ordering the boring, expensive ones from the school vendor (you know, the ones that look just like the ones we had in the 70s). I knew Son wouldn’t care at all. I’ll be cute and creative for my '11.</p>

<p>oh missypie–S’s announcement are SO ugly. It never occurred to me to order my own. I am almost embarrassed to sent these and they do look like the 70’s.
OK I will make my famous artichoke dip with crackers and vegies.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Of course, there are those people who send the cutest, classiest announcements and invitations you’ve ever seen, and then they say, “oh, I just put them together myself on the computer.” I guess I missed the crafting gene.</p>

<p>But Son is SO apathetic…I made him come look at the announcements and he didn’t even open one - he just looked at the cover…I had to make him unfold the darned thing. So he’s not the child for whom to go to special trouble.</p>

<p>And I had a coupon, 25% off from my Christmas card order! Announcements, Invitations, Return Address Stickers (with a photo!) & thank you note cards that both D’s can use. </p>

<p>Oh, we were bombarded with offers pertaining to St. Lawrence, a DVD, announcements, fancy diploma frames, flowers from the local florist etc. A fancy dinner dance the night before the graduation at $30.00/person, but as D2 pointed out you rented that nice house we all love, we don’t need the dinner dance! House has a canoe & is on water…</p>

<p>Thanks for the good wishes! All the support here has been invaluable as we stressed and worried (okay, I stressed and worried) over this. Son is excited and we are supporting him 100 %. I’m going online to find a crimson tide flag to fly out front and maybe a mini-t-shirt for little 7-year old sis. </p>

<p>It was a little sad to decline UT, but in the long run hopefully it will be okay. It’s easy to get caught up in prestige, etc., but I think an overall positive experience for our kids is the most important thing. </p>

<p>I told son I’d foot the bill for grad school, anywhere. Husband has banned me from discussing that w/him! (no new obsessionss…).</p>

<p>Now to take a deep breath, enjoy & move on to grad planning like ya’ll. :-)</p>

<p>Son is going to the prom (yay) and I bought a “09 grad” banner today.</p>

<p>Btw, I joined the CC parents facebook page. I wonder if there are facebook pages for parents from each school? I think we should definitely keep our thread going even after 5/1.</p>

<p>Huh, jackief didn’t start our 10er thread until July 29.</p>

<p>Ah, but you '09s shouldn’t exit stage left until you leave us '10s your greatest hits lists. What works, what doesn’t. It’s part of the tradition, ya know. :)</p>

<p>The cyberparty sounds fun, and I make a mean guacamole.</p>

<p>If it’s not one thing it’s another. </p>

<p>D has been varsity track since 10th grade when she started. Running terrible as a senior. Been injured since fall and just can’t seem to get better. Keeps re-injuring. She’s upset and depressed which of course means that life at home is stressful. Just need to get through the next month or month and a half then she can rest before starting to get ready for college running. Wish her legs would just hold out for the next 6 weeks!!!</p>

<p>Arghhhhhhh!!!</p>

<p>** Did your D give her first choice notice that she was not coming before they offered more money? Unbelievable! Well, I hope she really enjoys her second choice school, and that she doesn’t look back! **</p>

<p>What we did when they originally rejected our appeal, was to respond to them via email. I thanked them for taking the time to consider our appeal and told them ,“regretfully, D will not be able to attend. Should #1 school happen to find a windfall of $$, please keep us in mind.” I was actually kidding when I said that, never expecting to hear anything. I guess they took me seriously.</p>

<p>I’m feeling bad for DD because she still really loves that school. Even with the increased $$ offered, it is still short of what #2 school offered (they cost almost exactly the same to attend). Even if I was willing to come up with the extra $$$ this year, I have NO expectation they would offer us the same deal in subsequent years. DD is sad. I wish they hadn’t even offered it. I might not have even told her, but they sent the email directly to her:(</p>

<p>My DS is only a junior in high school, but has had injuries off and on all year. He had to drop out of cross country entirely this year,and has had a sketchy track season. He is a very good runner, but I think he is probably screwed as far as running for college. He has had to use the track season to get back in shape, so he won’t have the times that actually reflect his ability when it comes time to apply to colleges. He might be able to impress with his senior year cross country times, but he’s more of a miler than a cross country runner. </p>

<p>I hope your daughter heals well and had a great college running experience.</p>

<p>Wow! That is interesting. Perhaps you could get them to commit to a similar amount of aid for all 4 years provided that your financial situation remains similar? I don’t know if this can be done, but it might be worth inquiring. I do know that you would need to complete the financial aid forms out every year. Is it possible to get this aid in the form of merit aid assuming you know that your D will be able to keep up with the required gpa?</p>

<p>I hate work - by the time I get home there is such a backlog of posts to catch up on!</p>

<p>Rachacha - Son’s best friend just sent his deposit in to College of Wooster - he was so excited to find a college where “even the girls are interested in the same things I am”. LOL, he’s a real free spirit!</p>

<p>It’s going to be very interesting to see what colleges do after May 1st.</p>

<p>historymom – we’re about 30 minutes from the Claremont Colleges…</p>

<p>Jolynne, wonderful news on Alabama. I’m sure your son will love it there and never look back.</p>

<p>There are so many posts, I can’t keep up with them all. I need to review the decisions thread I guess to make sure I didn’t miss anything. I did see a post about a party. I will be sure to attend that. </p>

<p>I was listening to Helen Ready’s I Am Woman on my IPod for my walk today. What a great song.</p>

<p>ksabbo Thanks. It is so hard to see them depressed and know that there is nothing you can do to help. I suppose as a parent we will always feel this way and want to help. She has worked so hard through HS with track/cross country being her outlet and now that isn’t working for her. Just wished that there was something I could do to make it better. It was so much easier when they were 2 and scrapped their knees. </p>

<p>I’m sure many of you feel the same way about different aspects of their children’s life.</p>

<p>I also could use a bit of stress relief.</p>