<p>northeastmom: I guess since this isn’t a school specific thread, it doesn’t matter if I mention the schools. It’s not as if I haven’t posted about them previously:). Her first choice is American University, second choice is University of Richmond. Both schools cost the same, UR is simply able to offer a little more aid.</p>
<p>I am very curious why you suggest AU, if in fact we are speaking of the same schools? I do have some reservations about UR, always have. I am very interested what DD will decide. I had her call me between classes just awhile ago to tell her the scenario. I want her to be thinking about it, talking to any teachers, friends, coach,etc. that she may feel it necessary to consult with.</p>
<p>The $25k or so that DD would need to take out in loans is the portion that we don’t have covered with AU grants, my college savings, and a promise from grandfather of a minimum contribution. The $25k MIGHT be taken off her hands at the end of college by grandfather if he feels it is possible. I agree, $25k in subsidized stafford loans is a reasonable amount of debt, but, it’s still an aditional sum of $$$ that she wouldn’t need to borrow if she went to UR. Grandfather will be kicking in a little more than anticipated if she chooses AU, again not a problem, but we still have two more kids going off to college next year. </p>
<p>I’m fine with her decision either way. I just want her to be happy with her choice. She has said to me a couple of times…“I guess I can always transfer from UR if I don’t like it”. That makes me very concerned that she would be entering UR without really committing to it. That is kind of a sad start in my opinion:(. At least if she ultimately decides to go to UR it will be with the knowledge that it is entirely her choice, not only a financial fallback decision. I have yet to see the unabashed excitement with her decision that I expected to see.</p>