<p>hey–just wondering if anyone knows St. Benedict in Minnesotta–
S’s classmate who is super bright has chosen this school and her dad asked last night if I had ever heard of it–and I had not and he said, “that is my point”. He is OK but not thrilled that this is the school that his D chose.</p>
<p>My son’s AP English teacher made all the kids, as they got their accpetances, put each on an index card and post them on her Hall of Fame. There are some great schools there – William & Mary, UVA, Kentucky, College of Charleston, N.C. State, Washington U. in St. Louis. The kids all know where each is going, still, I have a feeling that the t-shirts will be on in the morning. My son asked that I pull out his Alabama t-shirt.</p>
<p>One day towards the end of school, the counselors have signs with the names of the colleges students will be attending put on stakes in the front of the high school - pretty amazing to see the variety.</p>
<p>Our high school guidance dept. has a bulletin board for copies of acceptance letters, a rather large bulletin board, just so visitors can see where students have been admitted.</p>
<p>Our guidance office has all the seniors’ pictures on a bulleting board, with acceptances listed below on an index card. Not sure how many people see it in there.</p>
<p>**Is tomorrow “wear your college choice apparel” at many high schools tomorrow? It is here in my sleepy New England town and after months of practicing “don’t ask, don’t tell”, it will be a relief to many students to announce their intentions. Good thing the T-shirt arrived today… **</p>
<p>Ha ha ha, I told my DD about this. She threw her hands up in mock dispair and said she wouldn’t know what to wear. She would NEVER wear for instance…an AU hat along with a UR t-shirt!</p>
<p>I don’t know why I know of this college, but as I remember, it’s a small, female only, LAC that is moderately selective. Perhaps somebody from my past attended there…I don’t remember.</p>
<p>There are sooooo many colleges, many that are not necessarily “well known”, but wonderful schools, nonetheless(SP?). It’s usually the student who is concerned about the noteriety factor, not the parent(s)
.</p>
<p>One of theings that bothers my D a bit, is that very few of her classmates know of UR. Teachers, counselors, coaches, and other adults are well aware of the school, but not too many kids.</p>
<p>ksabbo, I want to lend a little support to all you and your daughter are going through right now. It is a weighty decision made that much more difficult by your circumstances and impending deadlines. I’m sure it doesn’t help to see classmates sporting their selected colleges’ regalia while she is still torn. </p>
<p>Your daughter may be the type to “grow to love” instead of “fall in love” with her chosen school. That’s not a bad thing. </p>
<p>Good luck to both of you as you make your way to the finish line. You will get there!</p>
<p>Does anyone want to join me in trying to lose 5 pounds before graduation? I’ve got a month and 7 days. I could do it in two weeks if I was 40. Boy, once my body got the memo that I was over 50, it really started wanting to store fat for the lean times ahead.</p>
<p>missypie: What physical activities do you enjoy? I too am over 50 and understand the weight thing. While I have been totally blessed with a love of athletics/outdoors, running, cycling, hiking, etc., I still have to watch the weight. About 2 years ago, I had an injury keeping me from running for several months and I gained 20 pounds! Apparently my appetite didn’t stop when the running did
. Had no problem losing it when I could resume running again, but sheesh, who wants to have to go through that.</p>
<p>Good luck to you. The key is finding a physical activity that you really enjoy and go for it!</p>
<p>That is the depressing part. In September I really boosted my physical activity to train for our spring break hike down and up the Grand Canyon. Although I have been working out much more than in the prior 15 years, zero weight came off. I am much more fit, but my body seems to want to hang on to fat. I’m not heavy at all but it’s either lose 5 or buy new shorts for the summer.</p>
<p>
That’s quite nosey on the part of the school, yes? They are essentially snooping into your financial affairs if they want to know all finaid offers.</p>
<p>S’s high school wants to know all scholarships offered. When I asked the GC in charge of the spreadsheet, she said that finaid grant “scholarships” should also be noted. Umm…no. They are not getting that information from us. They will get the MERIT scholarships that s earned at various schools, though. </p>
<p>There was already a thread about this. I think it’s misleading to count finaid grant “scholarships” as merit awards, which appears to be what my school and school system is doing. I clearly see on s’s finaid award letters that what they are calling “scholarships” are actually grants, particularly from schools that offer no merit scholarships. </p>
<p>I saw grad stuff at the dollar store yesterday, too. ::sniff sniff:: Fortunately, we’ve been through this before with older son, who has graduated from both high school and college. (And we’re using grad decorations we bought last year for his graduation!)</p>
<p>No big parties here. The graduation is at 6:00 p.m., I believe, so visiting relatives will be treated to either a restaurant lunch or a barbecue that afternoon. The PTSAs here sponsor all night post-graduation parties, and s will go to that. His gf graduates from a different city high school at 9:00 a.m. the next morning. I guess he will be going to that graduation.</p>
<p>I don’t know how many tickets each grad gets to the ceremony. I can’t remember from five years ago. I think it’s 10? S claims to have no idea. It annoys me that I will have to contact the high school to find out this information. I hope no out-of-town relatives will be upset that they can’t go to the ceremony!</p>
<p>Historymom - thanks for the invite! I’ll be there for sure so I can help share in the celebration. What can I bring - a pitcher that magically replenishes Sangria?</p>
<p>missypie, I will join you in the desire to lose 5 pounds. I have started working more and cut back on my classes at the YMCA and running. Once you miss a couple, you just can’t pick up and go back or you will get injured! You basically have to start from scratch. My weight has been inching up.</p>
<p>H has a good job lead within the company. It is a 25% cut in pay and he is overqualified, but they are not holding that against him, thank goodness. The firm has a policy to give explicit preference to people who have been downsized, so it looks very promising. They said they will let him know on Monday. Now the goal will be for me to pick up another client to make up for the cut in pay.</p>
<p>Good news Analyst. H took a cut as well in January with a new job but at the very least, it’s a decent income with possible opportunities for advancement.</p>
<p>Oh, that’s exciting about the job…a 25% cut in pay is much better than a 100% cut in pay. It doesn’t have to be forever.</p>
<p>missypie - I am in. I started a no carb diet 10 days ago because next week I turn the big FIVE-OH and hoped that I could shed some before that… well 6 lbs have come off but I want many more gone. Now my deadline will be S’s graduation which is also my DD’s 16th bday. Then I can really celebrate! :D</p>
<p>TheAnalyst, that’s great news about your H’s potential job. I hope it happens for him.</p>
<p>I’m in the the weight loss challenge. We’ve started walking and carrying the clubs when we golf, and a group goal will be further motivation.</p>
<p>Ksabbo, hopefully making the decision will be the turning point for your D. Funny you say that one of the things she doesn’t like about UR is that nobody has heard of it. S thought the same thing about the LAC he was considering, and we talked about the fact that for the rest of his life he’d be explaining what it was and where it was, and that 99% of the people have never heard of it.</p>
<p>I mentioned to S that today was “wear your college” day, and was rewarded with an eye roll. Oh well, there is so much school spirit at Marquette, he’ll be draped in school clothes soon enough.</p>
<p>I am sure all of my S’s classmates & teachers think he only owns Vanderbilt shirts… that’s ALL he wears these days.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>LOL, that factored into Son’s decision, too. His no. 2 was Oklahoma City University. He got so much “OU?” “Oklahoma State?”</p>