Parents of the high school class of 09

<p>Wow SJTH that is fantastic. I am very impressed. </p>

<p>I am very much “geek” although my kids sometimes call me “freak” - haha I like to embarrass them in public.</p>

<p>Hey for all of the '09 kids. What were your kids into when they were younger? (ie. Barney, Power Rangers, Legos, Pokemon) I think all of the music shows ("Kidsongs, Barney, Disney movies) had influence on my musical kids.</p>

<p>well shoot SJTH if you can’t brag here where CAN you brag. We love to hear these things. How awesome and you are rightfully proud. What does he play?
H is a part time professional jazz guitarist these days and will be accompanying our S as he sings A Nightngale Sang in Berkeley Square at the school’s music showcase. Should be interesting, S has never wanted to sing with his dad before. But he has just started singing jazz. Music is such a wonderful thing for our kids to be involved in. It gives me great pleasure as I am sure it does you. You have much to brag about, that is an amazing accolade.</p>

<p>SJTH – WOW…how awesome for your S! I don’t blame you for enjoying a little sweet “gotcha” to the music director who didn’t take him – his loss!</p>

<p>TheAnalyst – glad to hear a job possibility has opened up for your H. Would be a nice weight off both your shoulders, even if it’s not exactly what he wants for right now.</p>

<p>S2 has the stars on the ceiling. S1 has the geeky t-shirts. Nerds R Us.</p>

<p>One of my favorite shirts"</p>

<p>“MIT”
on back:
“because everyone can’t get into CalTech”</p>

<p>It was a prank- Caltech kids handed out free t-shirts to a bunch of kids at MIT one year. I think during orientation…</p>

<p>SJTH: That is so exciting. Congratulations. Boo on foolish ad coms.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>LOL. One of the traits of Asperger’s Syndrome is having an extreme interest in things. Son was so into Pokemon that he would sit for hours and make his own cards. Then he progressed to Yu-Gi-Oh. Ancient Egypt was in there somewhere, too. I was so grateful that Son’s obsessive interest was something that was socially acceptable for young boys to be into … some Aspies are obsessed with things like the clothes dryer, or cows.</p>

<p>my son’s preschool “banned” power rangers from the classroom but he took different colored crayons and pretended they were the PW’s… And we still have his pokemon cards - not allowed to get rid of them… maybe I’ll pack them in w/ his stuff going to college.</p>

<p>Congrat SJTH. no musical talent here. We love Jeopardy here.</p>

<p>Congratulations to your son, SJTH!!</p>

<p>Not a geek t-shirt, but S does have fuzzy D20 dice (20-sided) hanging in his car. (And #theorymom, he also still has glow in the dark stars in his room - I really think we have the same son).</p>

<p>SJTH, that is awesome!! You have every right to be bursting with pride and where better to share it than CC? Congrats to you and S!</p>

<p>SJTH, I agree 100%. Brag away.</p>

<p>Congrats also to #theorymom’s S (and H) and to TheAnalyst’s H for finding a job so quickly.</p>

<p>SJTH - Congratulations to your son!
Congratulations to all kids that have made the final decision! “Young hearts, be free tonight!”.
Good luck to all kids on the waiting list! My S will attend MIT.</p>

<p>I guess it’s time for a celebratory spread since all have decided. Just a bit tonight, not to upstate historymom’s big party.</p>

<p>::Brings in bottles of local LI sparkling wine and sparkling cider. Trays of miniature pastries (canolis, napoleons, little cheesecake tarts, crackers and various cheeses, peppers, sliced zucchini, carrots, cherry tomatoes, diet dip, grapes and strawberries::</p>

<p>No going off diets necessary. Have healthy goodies or virtual goodies. Our spread is diet legal.</p>

<p>Thomas the Tank Engine 24/7 --need I say more?</p>

<p>coolweather - nice way to slip in that little fact…CONGRATS - MIT - what a huge accomplishment for your S</p>

<p>Historymom, did I miss a post? Have you got a final decision from both girls?</p>

<p>nope #theorymom- we are still waiting for Scripps to realize their mistake and open their doors wide to my lovely D, allowing her to meet geek_mom’s S at Mudd and SJTH’s surrogate D who will be an Athena in the fall.</p>

<p>My big party is on 5/5 in honor of our anniversary as a thread. You are suppose to provide flowers and balloons so get crackin ;)</p>

<p>SJTH just wanted to add huge WOOT WOOTS for your g and t S. How gratifying for you as the mom to think about the denyers and know they should be eating crow. Isn’t it nice when others come close to viewing our kids as glowingly as we do?</p>

<p>For the record you all have awesome offspring. I hope for nothing but wonderful things for them as they head off into this next phase.</p>

<p>Oh and my girls were all dogs all the time from 101 Dalmatians on. any movie or TV show with puppies was AOK with them.</p>

<p>My son was a knight from as early as I can remember. I bought him an orange plastic sword that had a bulb inside. He was a flower boy at a wedding when he was 2 1/2 and wouldn’t give up his sword (he said he was safe with the sword) and walked down the aisle with it. I probably read him the same book, Knights at War, several thousand times. When he was in kindergarten, my wife read him the The Hobbit and he was Bilbo at his school’s book character parade and Halloween. The next year I read him The Lord of the Rings and he was Legolas the elf and then Frodo for subsequent Halloweens. I remember the Legolas year well because he didn’t speak that clearly and people would ask him who he was and he became indignant when they couldn’t understand who he was (and obviously hadn’t read the most important book in the history of mankind).</p>

<p>One other thought sparked by the impressive and abundant musical talent in the progeny of our group. My son has a number of true gifts and a few major league deficits. Given his unusual neurology, music is a major deficit. He puts the capital T in Tone Deaf. When he was younger, my wife took him to a music class for 3 or 4 year olds. They played a song and the kids were supposed to raise their hands when the notes got higher and lower their hands when the notes go lower. My son’s hand movements were completely random. Even now, he says he cannot think when music is playing. Somehow, music scrambles his brain. Will have to mention that when he fills out the roommate preference form. He now goes to some concerts (went to Bonnaroo last year and enjoyed it, but I think doing it with his buddies was the important part). He listens to the words in rock songs.</p>

<p>Congrats coolweather on your son heading to MIT! That’s fantastic! And SJTH, how cool for your son! My son plays, casually, and would find that particular achievement very impressive!! (as would others!). historymom–keeping fingers crossed for your D at Scripps!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That was son’s childhood! And, from age 18 mos to 5, Thomas the Tank. This brings back memories (sniff). :slight_smile: </p>

<p>lol at shawbridge’s son holding on to the sword during the wedding! historymom my (7 yo)daughter is like yours were – she loves dogs, animals (will pretend do be a puppy, makes clothes & beds for all her animals). She’s less into the popular culture (no Hannah Montana et al) than son was & we don’t have commercial TV. Just hope this holds.</p>

<p>Yay for the virtual treats, mythmom!</p>

<p>Thomas the Tank Engine! Still have all the videos and train sets. I was so sad when S graduated to Pokemon. One of my favorite moments was when my brother came to visit. He hadn’t heard of Pokemon, so I told S (who was 7) to tell his uncle all about Pokemon. Which he did. For two hours. My brother claims he’ll get me back someday.</p>