<p>My D, who considers herself a geek, says that geeks are nerds who take showers (nerds don’t)…</p>
<p>…</p>
<p>My daughter is either a geek or a nerd. I can’t remember which. Maybe she’s both. She would be sure to explain the fine distinctions if she were here, and be very disappointed in me for not knowing them. </p>
<p>I’m thinking more geek because she proudly wears her “Geek is Chic” t-shirt at any opportunity. </p>
<p>Then again, her second favorite shirt is a glow-in-the-dark Periodic Table. </p>
<p>Third would have to be her “Schroedinger’s Cat is Dead” which says on the back, “Schroedinger’s Cat is Alive”.</p>
<p>Are these more nerd or geek?!</p>
<p>congrats to all the 09ers with decision day finally here! I see there are a few WL stragglers, but glad that many of the last minute kids are now decided and entering the next phase.</p>
<p>I suspect anyone who wears a glow-in-the-dark Periodic Table is a geek… or a nerd. My D has the periodic table on her wall in her BR, and once decorated her ceiling with glow in the dark stars (accurate portrayals of real constellations). She happily describes herself as a geek. This beautiful young dancer doesn’t look at all “geeky” to me, but what do I know?</p>
<p>missed it first time around - TheAnalyst - fingers crossed for Monday’s good news</p>
<p>S STILL has glow in the dark stars in his room.
AND <em>still</em> no prom date…hmmmm</p>
<p>Thanks TM. H is in a bad mood tonight, while I feel like celebrating. S2 is at work. He has those glow in the dark stars on the ceiling of his room, but in no particular pattern. He fits into the “jock” category since his life revolves around both playing and watching sports. Definitely not a geek or a nerd, as he has no academic bent at all.</p>
<p>My D has the planets painted on her walls and glow inthe dark stars on the ceiling. I asked her recently if she wanted to change it and she said no. She says she is a geek, and proud of it. She also is very in to sports and is a varsity captain. Anyways I think these kids are proud of their good minds.
Analyst: My husband is very easy going EXCEPT about work.</p>
<p>
Maybe a shirt with a question mark on it? A scale with SMC on one side and Scripps on the other? Or even “SMC, unless Scripps comes to its senses!”</p>
<p>TheAnalyst, so glad to hear your good (at least 75% better) news!</p>
<p>Way to go geeks/nerds! </p>
<p>The kids who are different are the ones who will make a difference, or at least that’s what I’ve told my daughter. </p>
<p>Periodic table girl also has glow in the dark stars and planets on her ceiling, and about 100 lacy paper snowflakes (she made) hanging down in various lengths. It’s like looking at the night sky through a blizzard, if you ask me. </p>
<p>Oh, and she also had about five kinetic sculptures on her desk, turning or twisting at any given time. </p>
<p>She is also a varsity athlete and musician. And quite pretty, in my opinion! But definitely most proud to be a science geek/nerd. </p>
<p>TheAnalyst: Sorry your husband is feeling grumpy. No doubt work worries are getting him down. Let’s hope next week brings some good news so he can perk up.</p>
<p>Aside from that whole icky circus-performers etymology… in my family, we’re geeks. Geeks are known primarily for deep, masterful, bordering on obsessive, knowledge of… something. Usually something technical, but not necessarily. It could be music (e.g., “band geek”), theatre, photography, literature, economics, or just about anything. It may or may not be something that results in earning a comfortable living. Geeks may or may not have social skills. A geek may have amazing social skills, but just not find you interesting enough to take them out and use them on you.</p>
<p>Nerds, on the other hand, are known primarily for lacking social skills and may or may not have actual useful skills or knowledge. The only way a nerd will be charming is by making you feel sorry for him because of his endearing social ineptitude… or, if he does have some useful skill or talent approaching geek level, perhaps by making a huge wad of cash and spending some of it to benefit you.</p>
<p>(Hee hee, I’d better go put on an asbestos suit for this one! :D)</p>
<p>TheAnalyst: Good news.</p>
<p>DD called herself a dork on her college applications.</p>
<p>I am embarrassed to be hanging out with people worrying about 5 lbs!</p>
<p>Yeah, have saved that kind of money with belt tightened (hey kill two birds with one stone) in the past, but it is human nature to ease up a bit now and then.</p>
<p>Dork is what D affectionately calls H …</p>
<p>Oh, theAnalyst, I am so relieved to see that news. </p>
<p>Historymom, how about an “S”??? I want her to get off that waitlist and meet my surrogate daughter who is going to Scripps–and is my S’s prom date tonight!</p>
<p>Congrats to everyone on Decision Day!</p>
<p>I apologize that I am about to shamelessly brag–my S2 found out yesterday hat he was named one of Downbeat Magazine’s outstanding solo jazz musicians (8 chosen nationally), and his name appears in their June issue. I’m insufferable, and I apologize, but I’m so proud of him!!! (And I’m also hoping the jazz director of his first choice ED school who deferred, then waitlisted him is eating his heart out!!!) He’s so excited about his college, though, that it’s already a faint memory for him. Mom doesn’t have such a short memory… ;)</p>
<p>In conclusion, the Margaritas are on me!! Or we can head over to the Music Major forum, where we just learned one of the parents works in a Distillery!</p>
<p>Congratulations to your son, SJTH! That is an absolutely amazing accomplishment. Thanks for sharing.</p>
<p>SJTH, that is soooo impressive. What a wonderful talent. My son loves to listen to Jazz but like his mom has no musical abilities whatsoever himself. I am in awe of those who do.</p>
<p>SJTH, that’s awesome. Kudos to you and your son!!!</p>
<p>A reality check came today at my school. Our local rep who handles all graduation robes, announcements, etc. came to make a delivery. One of my son’s friends was looking through her stuff and said that this was the first time that she realized that she was graduating in about five weeks. Then, she and the others quickly changed the subject before someone started to cry.</p>
<p>Awesome, SJTH…I assume he inherited his talent from you?</p>
<p>SJTH, that is amazing, no wonder you’re bursting with pride! </p>
<p>Hey, weren’t we going to have a virtual party on May 1st? I guess we didn’t factor in WL’s and deferred decisions. I’m so thankful that all of our kids have great choices - maybe not all dream schools or #1 picks, but DANG, we’re lucky parents and kids!</p>
<p>GO GET 'EM, CLASS OF 2013!</p>