Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>Thanks for the coffee and muffins.</p>

<p>We did a lot of cleaning in the basement yesterday (though you wouldn’t know it by what’s still there). There’s still so much to do. Then we went “car shopping” - we looked at a Honda CRV, Toyota Rav-4, and Subaru Forester and Outback. What we liked about our 2000 CRV is that it is utilitarian and multi-use. The new CRV is much more luxurious and not as flexible (and doesn’t have the tire on the back). The Rav-4 still has the tire on the back but is still more upscale than the old ones. We were all surprised to discover that we probably liked the Subaru Forester the best. It has the largest sunroof I have ever seen! On the other hand, we are also thinking we could try to find the source of the water leak in our car, then get rid of the mildew smell, and then see if we can drive it for another 40K to 200K. We shall see.</p>

<p>Laf - step away from the closet door. Hope your transition goes smoothly - remember, you’re my role model for this. It’s only a year away for me.</p>

<p>PMK - nice to hear from you, and glad that you will get to spend some time with PMKjr. Hope you will enjoy your time in our neck of the woods.</p>

<p>Have a great day, all.</p>

<p>Morning, all. Oops, make that afternoon.</p>

<p>Awaiting the arrival of dh and ds1 (maybe not in that order!). :wink: Should be home in an hour or two. Ds2 is doing SAT prep work, albeit grumpily. I love the quiet in the house while he does it. :)</p>

<p>Limomof2: Oh, yes bought some cookies. They had cellophane bags of ‘poppers’ - bite size sugar cookies with a dollup of frosting. I also got a cinnamon/sugar cookie with frosting. They had all kinds. You could get them individually, or as a bouquet ! </p>

<p>~~waving to everyone - quiet day here.</p>

<p>OK, I know going in the closet was dumb, but I figured it was going to happen eventually so I think I just wanted to get it over with. :rolleyes: Anyway, last night we went to our friends’ house for dessert and drinks… lets just say it was a good thing H was driving! Anyway we had a great time and I’m feeling much better on this bright sunny day.</p>

<p>For Christmas my MIL gave D a book of ridiculous decorating ideas for cupcakes, “What’w New Cupcake?”. D decided to use one of the ideas to make cupcakes to bring with her as she heads to join her BF’s family on their summer vacation in upstate NY. They’re big golfers, so she made a golf hole - complete with rough, green, sand trap, golfball, and hole with a flag. She and I shopped for the ingredients before she left - cost $36 for her to make 24 cupcakes! The decorations required all sorts of odds and ends - one pretzel stick for the flagstaff, one small piece of Fruit-Roll-Up for the flag, one white gumball for the golfball, a few crushed 'Nilla wafers for the sand trap, one brown M&M for the actual hole, etc. So we had to buy a package of gumballs, a box of 'Nilla Wafers, a bag of M&Ms, a bag of pretzel sticks, a box of fruit roll ups, etc… It came out really cute though! [url=&lt;a href=“http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/054724181X/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_all]Customer”&gt;http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/054724181X/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_all]Customer</a> Image Gallery for What’s New, Cupcake?: Ingeniously Simple Designs for Every Occasion<a href=“image%20#%2045%20of%2062”>/url</a></p>

<p>I added a picture of the golf cupcakes to Shutterfly.</p>

<p>Laf: I LOVE the golf cupcakes!! Very cute. I will show them to D1 when she gets home from work, I am sure she will be very impressed. Also, thanks for the link to that website.</p>

<p>Hi all,
Busy day here, but wanted to share post #1291 and #1305 on the awesome '15 thread. I can not figure out how to post a link so if someone could it would be great. It is a list of 53 links to College Books sites. Thought it might help for the sophomores as well :)</p>

<p>PS: Laf~stay out of the closet ;)</p>

<p>Here ya go 2ed. Thanks for the links! (I just copied the url in the browser for the page posts appeared on and pasted the link in my post here.)</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/1171197-awesome-parents-college-class-2015-beyond-87.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/1171197-awesome-parents-college-class-2015-beyond-87.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Post #1291 is at the top. Post #1305 is at the bottom.</p>

<p>WAVING to all~ :)</p>

<p>here you go:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/13009852-post1305.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/13009852-post1305.html&lt;/a&gt;
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/13008162-post1291.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/13008162-post1291.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>lol kindredspirit… you beat me…i started reading them and didnt refresh the page</p>

<p>Thanks for the book link. Time to start thinking about it, I guess!</p>

<p>Hi, kindredspirit!!</p>

<p>Good news - DS is chomping at the bit to run. My sister has taken him out a couple of nights in a row. She thought he was doing too much, so she reined him in. I sent both of them a link to the Couch to 5K program. I figure it’s meant for people starting from zero, so that should be appropriate for him. He will enjoy running in the cool weather when he gets home! 5 days to go!! We’re planning a party for him.</p>

<p>Our church held a baptism and picnic at a local park located next to the ocean. I was impressed that our pastor, from California, stood in the cold Maine water long enough to baptize 29 people! It was really a fun, uplifting afternoon. One of the young people baptized was in deep trouble a few years ago, and moved in with some close church friends of ours. They just loved on that kid and gave him SO much support. He’s doing really well now. I can’t even imagine how excited they must have been! I need to call them up.</p>

<p>Happy August!! Time for the leaves to start changing soon in Maine, lol.</p>

<p>I finished the book. Great book! If anyone is looking for something to read - The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton</p>

<p>RobD - Yes, the postcard was from Dr. Halli. His note was personal, telling S2 that the classes he (and his wife) teach are ones that would fulfill requirements (even for an engineering student) and he hoped to see him in a couple of years. Very nice.</p>

<p>PNJ - I hope you had fun at the Birthday party!</p>

<p>Hi ks!</p>

<p>ML - I’m impressed your pastor stood in that Maine ocean water. I’ve been in it before and it is really cold!!</p>

<p>^^^I mentioned the note when D was skyping with DH this afternoon & she said “oh yeah, he’s been working on them during all his free time between classes & our trips.”</p>

<p>^^That’s so funny. I guess it is a small world. :)</p>

<p>Those cupcakes are sooooo cute! Nothing that grand has ever come out of this kitchen, but it’s fun to look.</p>

<p>DS is unemployed this summer and spends most time doing classes (A+ computer class at CC, free online classes on MIT site - no credit for them, just learning). We’ve had him doing most grocery shopping and cooking. Last night he learned to make meatloaf, and it was very good. I don’t make it often (saves debates with DH, who prefers the kind with tomato paste on top). But he had missed it at restaurant when nightly special was no longer available, so it seemed a good thing to try. Plus I had made mashed potatoes the prior night, and there were leftovers. </p>

<p>At the end of the summer he’ll know how to shop (though not on a student budget), bbq all sorts of meat, and cook a few of my standard recipes. He’ll also be quite familiar with the frozen food section. Since he’ll do dorm next 4 years at Olin, the skills will only used short term if he has a summer internship apartment. Still it’s been a fun change of pace for all.</p>

<p>i think i’ll send S2 to you next summer coloradomom… i thought he might do some cooking and shopping this summer while in indiana… so far it seems everyday has charges for lunch and dinner on his debit card!.. we reduced his meal plan a bit next year, i can hope he’ll start cooking a bit this year but not counting on it.</p>

<p>A busy few days including airport messes that cut into my catch-up time… so I’m way behind.</p>

<p>Lima – I hope that you get some relief from “Mom issues” soon! I got to deal with “Mom and Dad” issues this weekend, but they were of the technical kind, so not too bad.</p>

<p>FIL seems to have recovered nicely and is ready for DW to take him to Olive Garden. :)</p>

<p>SWTCAT – Let us know when you get all of the Greek worms back in their proverbial can. In keeping with the Greek theme, shall we call you Pandora for a while? ;)</p>

<p>Mommusic – I’d be happy to take a vacation in southern VA for you… I’m thinking that my house would be a nice place to stay.</p>

<p>ML – Yay for the influx of hydrogen and oxygen at your house. And, it’s OK to “stumble”, we all do. Also glad to hear good news about your soon to be arriving DS. Re: the Baptism… what part of California? The coldest water that I have ever been in is the Pacific Ocean west of the Palo Alto area in August… it is like ice! When I got there I wondered why no one was in the water.</p>

<p>Tx5 – Tomorrow, go with “Tut, Tut, Looks like rain!” ;)</p>

<p>Checkers – Sorry you had a visit from the attitude fairy. At least it was followed by a visit from the pudding fairy.</p>

<p>ACM – Have your S try a variation substituting dry crushed red pepper for the sea salt. 75%+ cocoa and red pepper is good stuff (80%+ is even better), really!</p>

<p>Jc40 – I’ll see if I can find VA’s thermostat and turn it down for you. It was miserable last weekend. Also, don’t you just hate when you find out that Freud has been using your cell phone. ;)</p>

<p>ShillyShally – Those Georgetown Exorcist stairs are still calling your name. (I just got an idea for tattoo #8). That should do something for your knees. Meet RobD and ACM at the top. ;)</p>

<p>

Where’s your sense of adventure? Just roll up the windows, fire up a couple of cigars, and take a ride through the mountains without stopping for lunch. :wink: FWIW, that will be nowhere near the level of motion sickness I got on the Pacific Coast Highway.</p>

<p>LAF – Really, Congrats on launching S! Leaving is a good thing. That’s how I’m looking at it for D1. I just hope she finds someplace to live soon. Read on.</p>

<p>Re: cookies – I especially like them before they are cooked.</p>

<p>Re: new cars – Ssssh! My poor old truck is about to die… transmission. DW tried to get me to look at cars this weekend, but I just hate car shopping. I like my old piece of junk (same with clothes). DW made the observation that “You like everything to be old and worn out… except me.” ;)</p>

<p>ProudNJMom – I missed the chocolate chip muffins, but DW always makes me chocolate chip pancakes before I leave for the airport on Sunday (‘cuz I’m spoilt), so I didn’t starve.</p>

<p>Aliceinw – I have the same problem with the screen scrolling sometimes. I haven’t proven it yet (needs more testing), but it seems to scroll based on 1) how far from the last page your URL page puts you and 2) the number of digits (or the size of the proportional characters that make up the page numbers) in the pages leading up to the “Last” page. If you are far enough “behind” then the number of pages displayed from “First” to “Last” may be 12 and scrolling is needed if 4 digits per page number (like our thread). However, if your URL takes you near or on the “Last” page, then the number of pages is fewer, so no scroll is needed. It seems to be a function of how many pages from which to pick are displayed (and the total number of characters in those page #’s, e.g. 1-12 is fewer characters than 1601-1612) at the top of the screen. You will probably find that if you go to the Parent’s Forum page first, then click on “Last” for the 2014 Forum, it will not scroll… this is pure untested speculation on my part. Tx5 – it’s not “goofy”, it is perfectly logical. :wink: Pass this on to the admins to see if there is a fix, e.g. maximum length for the pages line.</p>

<p>For example. This one probably scrolls. (Lots of pages and digits in the page #’s)
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/953396-parents-college-class-2014-beyond-1689.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/953396-parents-college-class-2014-beyond-1689.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>This one probably does not. (until it gets far enough behind the “Last” page that “Last” has to be displayed).
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/953396-parents-college-class-2014-beyond-1700.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/953396-parents-college-class-2014-beyond-1700.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>This one probably does not because even though the “Last” is displayed, the number of digits in the pages is small.
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/953396-parents-college-class-2014-beyond-5.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/953396-parents-college-class-2014-beyond-5.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>D1 starts work a week from Monday and still does not have a place to live. :eek: The “perfect” apartment fell through. She still has some options open, but nothing firm. Worst case, I burn hotel points until she finds a place, but that won’t last forever. She does have some friends in NoVa with whom she could crash for a day or two here and there. She had moved between the time that her resume went out and she got the job. Her employment package was sent to her old address. :eek: Fortunately, she called her old landlord who not only found it (lying in the hall), but personally drove it to her at her current apartment. D1 said that she was a really nice landlord… I guess so.</p>

<p>D2 continues to work her “real” job and 2 unpaid internships. This week’s fun intern fact… “we can’t trace the evolution of jelly fish because they are too soft to preserve.” She did say that the internship is helping her formulate some ideas about possible senior thesis topics. Also, she came with us to visit all the “grands” this weekend. My mother especially enjoyed hearing about the Spain trip. D2 was also agreeable to a visit to H&M with DW afterward. Imagine that. :wink: She also mentioned a little detail for move-in. She has cheerleading practice the day of move-in, so I guess we are driving up the night before and moving her in early in the morning so that she can get to practice, ergh!</p>

<p>Lafalum - love the cupcake picture! What a great job! That’s the kind of thing where I’d think wow, that looks so cool, and then my version would look nothing like the picture :p</p>

<p>Interesting theory on the scrolling, G#. You are right that it doesn’t happen with the very early page, where the page numbers are smaller, but it does happen when I go to last on this thread. Wonder if this is the problem with blackberry, too.</p>

<p>Hope your D1 finds an apartment soon!</p>

<p>For those of us with 2012 sons and daughters…the Common App is now live! Let the games begin. :smiley: </p>

<p>For all the rest, who remembers this day from 2 years ago? 2 YEARS ago! Wow.</p>