<p>So I am home from my shortest BHI summer trip in years, I woke up with absolutely no idea where I was this morning. H burst out laughing when i finally blurted out Holy ****, I’m in NJ. I am already plotting my BHI return. The last 4 weeks flew by. </p>
<p>We returned to a house that S had been occupying solo for the last week. I was very pleasantly surprised to find it spotless. Okay, the woman who cleans for us is mostly responsible for that, but it was tidy and S had dinner on the table all the laundry done and the mail organised, yard work done, porch steps painted, etc…He has been cooking up a storm. He even made risotto with shrimp for himself one night. Of course he shopped at Whole Foods and the local gourmet market so our Visa is groaning in pain. He is going to need a very good job when he graduates to support his high end food and clothing tatses. Either that or we’ll be paying for culinary school.</p>
<p>S2’s issue involves how many vehicles in a caravan will be necessary to transport all the Craigslist junk he has purchased to “feather” his ManCave nest. First there was the magnificent handcrafted beer pong table. Now we have a giant sound system (compliments of the cursed Craigslist) to replace the 250-lb TV. :eek:</p>
<p>intouch, you beat me to it. This is common app day at our house. D will be poking around and getting used to it. Still no final list, but with only 3 more tours to do, she should be nearly ready. </p>
<p>Thanks for all the great recaps. Boy, you guys sure do get chatty when I least expect it. </p>
<p>I’m feeling a little sad today. Someone I knew at my old job died suddenly on Friday. She suffered some sort of stroke at 11:30 pm on Wednesday and never regained conciousness. She was 50. Her DIL has the first grandchild on the way and her D will be wed next June. </p>
<p>And, while all of that is sad enough by itself, it’s all compounded 10x when we read the few email updates her H sent during her last day and a half. He also worked at my old company. They met at 16, married at 20, finished their degrees and lived a storybook life until the end. His messages are so full of love and loneliness and grief and gratitude that he’s moving everyone to tears. I was bawling for 20 mins after I read his message about finalizing the organ donations before removing life support. :(</p>
<p>I’m not sure when I’ll get my daughter to tackle the common app. She’s resisting the whole essay thing. I’m just going to work on getting her to complete the beginning part and see where that takes us. We’re leaving today for a visit to Duke. I hear it’s nice and cool down there this time of year. ;)</p>
<p>G# - ha, I actually would run those exorcist stairs despite warnings to the contrary but that’s because I am stubborn and don’t follow directions well at all (my DH would be nodding furiously in agreement at that one!) And I’ll think about #8 of I can survive hiding #7 from my conservative office It is hidable once it heals but right now during the healing process it is a bit trickier. I’m also one that loves a challenge :)</p>
<p>And I’d offer your D1 my D1’s bed when she heads back to school but she may not survive our brand of crazy and D2 may kill me if she doesn’t get “her” room back to herself once D1 vacates Good luck to her on finding a place!!</p>
<p>DB - so sorry to hear of your friend!</p>
<p>How is it Monday again? And it’s scheduled to be a busy and long one - hoping that means it moves quickly!</p>
<p>12rmh18, I think you and I will be commiserating with move-in this fall! S2 now needs something sturdy enough on which to place the 201 lb TV, as well as an HDMI converter box (or whatever it is that he needs).</p>
<p>We will be taking S2, one of his fellow Tufts buddies and all their cr<em>p to Boston. They move in on 9/4. We’ll be returning with S1 and GF, with all of their</em> crp, including the air conditioner they bought during the heat wave. Their sublet terminates 8/31 and they hope to crash on couches and find friends with who they can leave stuff for a couple of days til we arrive. Looks like we’ll get to Boston, unload S2 and friend’s stuff into the hotel room, go rescue S1 and GF’s stuff, bring THAT to the hotel room, then on Sunday, move S2 and friend into their rooms, reload S1 and GF’s stuff, and then head home.</p>
<p>I am going to bring sharpies and multicolored labels, or my 6’4" S will wind up with a suitcase of lingerie. :rolleyes:</p>
<p>ETA: DB, just saw your post. I am so sorry about your former co-worker. So young for a stroke…her DH and family must be so bereft.</p>
DB, I’m so sorry to hear that. So young and with so much to look forward to.</p>
<p>D2’s chinchilla died suddenly yesterday. She’s crushed. The boyfriend was great and left work immediately to sit with her. It was only a pet, but she loved it.</p>
<p>You’ll never believe what PBK was taken up. Give up? Golf! He seems to really like it and I am already envisioning the adorable golf outfits I can dress him up in. He is currently preparing for his high school auditions. The pieces are hard but he’s working diligently. For a change. We’re planning to stop his sessions with the therapist because he met the goals we set for him, which were that he do his homework every day and stop being chatty in class. He went an entire semester without missing a single homework in any class and didn’t get dinged for chattiness. We’re thinking that he could visit the therapist on an as-needed basis going forward. Does that sound reasonable? </p>
<p>Oh!! Huge news! The principal from hell has been reassigned and we’re getting a woman who has a stellar reputation. I’m very excited about that.</p>
<p>DB: I was so sorry to hear about your colleague. That is very sad.</p>
<p>zooser: sorry to hear about D2’s chinchilla, but great news about the principal. Too bad the replacement didn’t happen sooner. Good luck to PBK!</p>
<p>
Misery loves company :). I’m trying to laugh about this. Last night, S2 & friends gathered to pay homage to the table & the new sound system. I suggested that they paint “Big, Bad, and Bass” on the 2-ft bass cube, which is the size of an ottoman. On the brighter side, somehow I think GSharp would be pleased with S2’s sound system. It filled the entire bed of the Bionic Pickup.</p>
<p>yay ZM - feel sorry for whoever gets the PFH but glad your son is going to benefit from the change!
DB - awful to hear about your friend, 50 seems so young, not like any age is right, but that does hit close to home. Sending thoughts to the family.
Getting that pit in my stomach knowing DS1 is soon leaving - thought it was supposed to be easier each time!
Have a good day everyone :)</p>
<p>Zoosermom: It’s about time PBK had something go his way with school. Here’s hoping for a great school year!!</p>
<p>D1 is in VA for the week visiting her grandparents and having a great time. Still hasn’t decided when she wants to move back to school. I am guessing mid to late week next week. The dorm mountain is more like a mole hill, but still has some work to go.</p>
<p>Poor D2 is having her wisdom teeth out on Friday and starts back to school on Monday. Hoping she has a fast recovery, but figured if she is still groggy on Monday that the first day of school is not that intense. She has a busy junior year ahead of her. Slightly terrified to start the college search process all over again. So many of you are doing such a great job of staying ahead of the game.</p>
<p>S came home from work at 8:15 this morning. “Mom, can you help me get Benedryl…?” He was stung by a swarm of wasps. No hives, but itching everywhere. Up until now, he’s not had reactions to bee stings but I’m really allergic. I told him if he had anymore symptoms like a thick tongue he should call the ambulance, especially since he’s already had the Benedryl. I haven’t heard anything, so assume he’s ok (although extrememly sleepy by now).</p>
<p>The study skills classes & test prep sessions at Sylvan have been very good. S said he has learned a lot of new techniques and glad he went. He has one session left this Saturday.</p>
<p>Still waiting for final flight information for our exchange student. She flies from Rome-Frankfurt-Newark on the 11th. Our letter said she would tentatively be flying into Des Moines. We expected KC , but it’s ok. Looks like she’ll be traveling at least 20 hours. Hope we hear in the next few days so I can finalize MY plans. I took Friday off so I can take her to register for classes, etc. We move S back to school that weekend.</p>
<p>Oh, S mentioned this weekend that he hoped his new apartment had an elevator. :eek: Me too.</p>
<p>somewhereinga - DS1 is having his wisdom teeth out Friday also… we should have asked for a two-for-one price. Luck to your DD and skill to the surgeon!</p>
<p>Yikes! wasps!!! hope the Benedryl helps, I can’t imagine how much that’s going to hurt later :(</p>
<p>Good morning! Happy Monday! We have the two extra teenagers here this week. They are sweet girls, but getting that large of a group moving can be difficult. I have this feeling that they should be active and doing things, but they seem to have a great time just hanging out with their cousins. So probably it is best for me to be at work. </p>
<p>Preparations are being made for D1 to move into her apartment. There will be 7 girls in a 3 bedroom apartment. Over the summer there have already been arguments over who should pay what (the rooms are different sizes etc…) and now one of the girls is saying she doesn’t want to pay for internet because she will “just use her phone”. I am successfully staying out of it. Finance-wise I am trying to decide if we should just give her one lump sum for the semester, or give her money monthly. I am leaning towards one lump sum. I also have to figure out what is a reasonable amount of money. </p>
<p>DB: Sorry to hear the sad news. A very similar thing happened here this past winter. The mother of a f"riend-girl" of S3’s (who was a dentist and very active, maybe early 50’s) was fine one day, and the next died of a pulmonary embolism walking out to pick up the paper. It was 6 months ago and I still have a hard time with it and I didn’t even really know her.</p>
<p>We’re a bit behind the eight ball…D1 and D2 are just having their wisdom teeth “consult” this afternoon- they’ll probably have the surgery over their long Christmas break- I don’t think the oral surgeon offers any 2-for-1 deals but I’ll have to ask! Good luck to those whose kiddos are “going under the knife” soon!</p>
<p>Good news- eldest daughter has an interview next week for a “real” job…she has had some temporary work since she graduated from college in May, but this would be a real 9-5 :)</p>
<p>One more week of work until vacation- we’ve rented a cottage on a lake in CT for a week- can’t wait! :)</p>