<p>ZM - thanks for sharing all the good news about PBK - new interest in golf, practicing daily, and no more PFH! Wishing him the best with his auditions! Sorry about the chinchilla (but nice to find out what a good guy the BF is!).</p>
<p>DB - so sorry to hear about your friend. My mom’s best friend died this weekend, but she was in her eighties and had decided not to be treated for cancer, so it was sad but not shocking. My mom will have her high and low moments dealing. On the other hand, when someone so young dies, especially suddenly, it is so tragic. My thoughts are with her family and friends.</p>
<p>My D got a referral to an oral surgeon for wisdom teeth removal, and said she wanted them out this summer. Since she has not made an appt for the consult yet, I am guessing they will have to wait till her long break between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I would like to get the consult done this summer, though. I’ll have to put it on my list of things to discuss with her . . .</p>
<p>S, on the other hand, never had braces, and the dentist has not yet said a thing about wisdom teeth removal. Maybe he’ll be one of the lucky ones.</p>
<p>wisdom teeth: D1 and S2 had them out. S3 needs them out, and the orthodontist gave us a referral, but we have not gone yet. Likely I will wait until 2012 so I can have money taken out of my paycheck using a medical reimbursement plan. We have dental insurance, but the maximum per year for dependents is $1000, so I think we ended up paying about $1500 for the other two kids.</p>
<p>Part of my visit home involved a consultation with the oral surgeon…I’m now scheduled to have them out right at the beginning of Winter Break. Just what I want to do… Unfortunately, living so far away, December is probably the only time during the school year that I’ll be home, so that’s pretty much the only option.</p>
<p>Just hoping that D2 doesn’t have any complications with the surgery. D1 had a year of complications. Every 3 to 4 months an infection would pop up overnight and she’d have a high fever and swollen jaw. They thought that there wasn’t anything trapped in there and went in partially at one point. I the end, she had to go under again and have it completely reopened, cleaned out, and had her jaw bone shaved down just a little (worried about infection). The surgeon, who I trust and know plenty of others who have successfully used him, said he had never seen anything like that before. He reassured me that at the first sign of anything with D2 that they would be on top of it right away.</p>
<p>D2 isn’t too worried. I think she is looking forward to seeing how the pain meds affect her. D1 was extremely funny. We had to cut her off and warn her to not experiment with anything in college. She thought the floorboards were running in varying directions in her room, she walked in the wall, and fell down the stairs (20 of them). After the stairs incident, she was cut off. Poor kid. She was on the basic pain medicine and took only the minimum dosage. After that it was plain advil.</p>
<p>I am quite thankful that the procedure is covered 100% by our health insurance.</p>
<p>Aliceinw: If the dentist does yearly x-rays, then he should have a good idea whether your S will need to have them out.</p>
<p>thankfully it looks like with our insurance and using an in-network surgeon it will cost less than $200… amazed by that!
A tiny concerned because none of my kids have ever been put under ever, I’m a bit of a post-anesthesia puker (TMI!) so hope it doesn’t run in the family.</p>
<p>So busy week with Marching band uniforms starting tomorrow, thinking ahead so I’ll be ready - what should I have here for him to eat afterwards?</p>
<p>D1 had a very easy time with her wisdom teeth (well, with the exception of having to back in to braces after they were out because they’d pushed her original alignment completely out of whack.) </p>
<p>Turns out that D2 is much like you AL34 and every single one of her medical charts now has a big NO CODEINE!!! all over it. If your son happens to be a puker, watch him very carefully after surgery. Vomit+open wounds can = major infection. Much like somewhereinga, I had the doctor say “i’ve only had this happen twice in my career.” Great. </p>
<p>But based on watching post anesthesia/pre-puking D2, I’m pretty sure she’d be freaking hilarious after a few at a party ;)</p>
<p>DB: I’m so sorry to hear about your friend. So sudden for the family; and 50 just seems way too young for that kind of thing to happen.</p>
<p>Just posting a quick hi as I am back from a two week vacation and very behind on our thread. Hope all is well with everyone and I will try to catch up more on the weekend.</p>
<p>We had a great two weeks in Pebble Beach in a beautiful house on a golf course with an ocean view. H and I had some lovely walks on the beach and a wonderful dinner in Carmel. D2 had a lot of success at the horseshow and ended up winning more than $1,200 dollars which was credited against my show bill! It was nice to not have good cell phone service and sporadic internet so that we could all be disconnected for awhile.</p>
<p>DH is just back from the oral surgeon with the girls- both have impacted wisdom teeth (which is actually better in a way because it will be fully covered by our medical insurance now)- but oral surgeon feels that they can wait until January to have them out. Something to look forward to ;)!</p>
<p>Haha, sounds like my son! He was excited about his new job, less so about having to tell people he now lives in NJ. It’s not that he has anything against NJ, but if you tell people you live there they make fun of you. </p>
<p>ZM - So someone saw the light and bumped the Principal-from-H*** to a spot where he could happily avoid speaking to parents? Why do people who don’t like kids and parents go into education anyway? :mad: Good luck to PBK on his auditions. Sounds like he’s made great progress if all HW is getting turned in and no more notes home on “chattiness.” Sorry to hear about your daughter’s pet but good to know the BF is a good guy!</p>
<p>DB - the story of your co-worker is tragic. I can only imagine the pain her H and family are in. The email about making the decision to donate her organs, when they’d been together since age 16… :(</p>
<p>AL34 - feed him soft food. Yogurt, eggs, soup (but not too hot), pudding, jello. NO STRAWS. Sucking through a straw can dislodge the blood clot and open up a “dry socket” which is very painful. The narcotics had no effect on S whatsoever, but D was funny. She asked her dad for her cell phone, and then was convinced she had two cellphones, one in each hand. Halfway home in the car she realized she only had one cellphone, and was quite disappointed!</p>
<p>Wisdom teeth - I got mine taken out the summer before junior year. They put me under and then I woke up in my bed at home. I have no memory of the car ride from the doctor’s office or trying to get me up a flight of stairs. My mom said I talked about elephants the whole time though. I am glad I don’t remember any of it. </p>
<p>CM - My parents both got their first bee stings this summer. We are 90% sure there is a hive in one part of our year. 3 stung by dad and he is still not over it. I got stung once in like 2nd or 3rd grade and then a couple years ago a bee hid in my Coke can and I took a drink and got stung on the lip. It was not a pleasant experience. </p>
<p>Sting tip: According to my mother if your rub a penny on where you got stung it will feel a lot better. </p>
<p>Went to the gym for the first time in awhile. I am going to try and go everyday before we head to London and then continue you it at school. I am mostly worried about my food plan at school but I will be able to manage it.</p>
<p>DB - I am so sorry about your former co-worker. My heart goes out to her husband and the rest of their family.</p>
<p>ZM - thanks for sharing your good news. :)</p>
<p>Oh, and of course I am so sorry about your D’s chinchilla - so sad to lose a pet.</p>
<p>ACM - will you be able to squeeze in another visit to BHI before summer’s over? </p>
<p>Thanks for all the reminders - I was supposed to take my D for a consult last summer, and I still haven’t gotten around to it. I’d better get on that asap! Plus, she needs to see the eye doctor, the dentist, and her doctor. Wonder if we’ll be able to squeeze in all those appointments before she returns to school?</p>
<p>GSharp - keeping my fingers crossed for your D and her living situation - hoping something even more perfect turns up for her. </p>
<p>Good luck to CD and 12rmh and their big moves! Thankfully, as tightly packed as our car will be, we won’t have anything huge to transport. CD - that is one crazy trip you have planned. </p>
<p>LIMom,
Nothing in our lives is normal – there is always an aspect of crazy-making to it! At least tonight’s vote means DH can go on vacation as planned. National events always seem to interfere with family plans.</p>
<p>Lost my long post Urgh!!
Talked about pink little girls, wonderful memories in Carmel, Proud moment for Showmom’s DD, Great window concept from DB,Tragic lost of a wonderful human being, Good wishes for young people starting their working lives, Trauma of being back in NJ, Courageous and dedicated caretakers, Principal being reassigned ;), PBK’s progress, Summer going to fast :eek:</p>
<p>Wishing all travelers God’s speed, and all '12 ( and their parents) great beginnings with the common app :D</p>
<p>Waving to all my peeps</p>
<p>Ps: how do I post links ?? Thanks to all my helpers :p</p>
<p>2ed… you go to the page that you want…move your cursor into the address box at the top. double click until it changes color, then right click and a box will pop up with a copy option, highlight copy and click. go to where you want to post it, set your cursor, then right click and you will see a paste option, click on that and voila</p>
<p>Is it bad that I felt the need to come home after work and my mom on a Monday and make Cosmos? Is it really bad that I’m thinking a second round sounds good? Ugh.</p>
<p>Good news: dinner out with friends tomorrow (guess I’ll have a Cosmo) and going to see Bridesmaids (again) later this week with my awesome neighbors. Can’t remember the last time I saw a movie twice in the theater. </p>
<p>LImomof2: The eye dr? Cr*p! Forgot that one. Note to self: call optometrist tomorrow…</p>
<p>ZM: sorry about the chinchilla When do you find out where PBK will be this year? Is it completely contingent on the auditions? </p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Yeah, I understand. And then you move from NJ to TN, and the NJ people make fun of you ACM: I’m sorry. I’d rather be at the beach with a cocktail in my hand too. Really hoping that Powerball works out for me this week…</p>
<p>^^^Really? We’ve only had one day at 100. In 2007, we had 35+ days over 100 the whole summer so it seemed hotter. But yeah, a heat index of 114 feels as bad as it sounds. It’s supposed to be hotter tomorrow and Wednesday. Have I mentioned that central air conditioning is the most awesome thing ever? </p>
<p>D1 mentioned that it had been warm & humid the other day in Oxford; it was in the low 70’s. Um, honey, did you see it’s going to 97 in Atlanta the day you land? Can 18 year olds melt?</p>