<p>Have you heard how that show is popular among young adult males? They call themselves My Little Bronies.</p>
<p>Another miserable travel day Left the house at 9:00AM and probably wont get to my hotel until 11:30PM.</p>
<p>I hope that all of this weekends launchees are safe and sound.</p>
<p>ML Wonderful that DS is home and congrats on the 10K sans bodily malfunctions!!! Re: Williamsburg have your sister check to see when the Grand Illumination is. Also, Colonial Williamsburg will be decorated for Christmas. And Busch Gardens transforms into Christmas Town (That is relatively recent and I have not been).</p>
<p>Re: Williamsburg We Virginians kind of take it for granted. Every year it was a given that there would be a Williamsburg / Jamestown field trip, etc. As the result of her internship, D2 was saying this year how surprised she was about how far away people come to visit Williamsburg. We think of it as just someplace down the road if we want to go somewhere for the day. I think that factored into the college decision. D2 had been to Williamsburg many times, but never NJ.</p>
<p>
Yay for you! Next time, let him use Latin words. ;)</p>
<p>Along the lines of ILs Nostalgic Moment I had one of my own this weekend. When D2 was very little, I had a pickup truck with her car seat in it to haul her around. That poor old truck made it home from the airport Friday night and died in the driveway one month short of her college sophomore year and 3 days short of D1s first real job. I guess it decided that it was time to go to little girl totin Heaven, what with there not really being any more little girls to tote or swingsets to build. Cant say as I blame it, sometimes I miss those little girls fightin and spillin stuff too. Maybe it is also possible for truck hearts to break? The car seat is long gone and shed rather not be seen in it anyway, so its time for new one (truck that is ;)).</p>
<p>D1 is not out of the apartment woods yet. She is staying in a hotel tonight because one of the roommates forgot to send in a piece of information for the apartment application on Friday, ergh! So, it is being processed this weekend. She is supposed to be able to move in tomorrow after work. Ill believe it when I see it. Everything that she needs (inc. air mattress) is in her car waiting to be moved in. Of course, this means that we will road-trip to NoVa this coming Saturday with her furniture.</p>
<p>In D2s world, the newspaper sent a reporter and photographer to our house on Saturday to talk to her about the Spain trip. Since she is a cheerleader, she qualifies to be in the special Athletic Supplement also. In essence, they got two stories from one tank of gas.
DW and I stayed in another room during the interview, so we didnt hear everything, but we did hear the part where she recognized all of her teachers and PARENTs for everything they did to help her along the way. The reporter is a young Bama grad just moved to VA 4 months ago. I told D2 that she has to return to college now, I paid her tuition bill and renewed her dorm insurance. We also had another discussion about majors.</p>
<p>Heres one that I hadnt thought of. One of D2s friends is Mormon and completed one year of college and is now doing 2 years as a missionary. D2 received a letter from him this weekend. The strange part was seeing a return address of Elder John Doe. Her friends just should not be elders. ;)</p>
<p>^^^Oh, we’re pretty familiar with the “elder” salutation as we have a Mormon temple in town and both D’s have friends who are LDS. Those kids all go to seminary in the morning before school junior & senior year starting at around 6am. Yikes!</p>
<p>RobD, I’m so glad your D is back on home soil!</p>
<p>GSharp, cool about your D being interviewed for TWO stories! I hope your D1’s apartment woes get sorted out. Sigh, it never ends with kids, does it? My mom has been telling me that for years, but I’ve been in denial.</p>
<p>Having DS home is even sweeter than I expected. Some old friends had us over for lunch today and invited another couple who we’ve known “forever.” The inviting family’s two kids are 19 and 20. They know what DS has been through and were so great with him. The three of them talked and talked and talked. I took lots of photos. I think it will be rarer and rarer that all of us, adults and kids, are together like this.</p>
<p>Two different adult friends have engaged DS in long conversations, really drawing him out to hear what HE has to say. I know you guys would do the same if you were here! The kindness of people never ceases to amaze me. I think DS really “gets it” that a lot of people love him and want the best for him.</p>
<p>When we got home while ago, he grabbed a basketball and started shooting it in our new hoop that DH got the family for Christmas. I sent D13 and her friend out to play with him. It was great to hear all the laughter!</p>
<p>After that, DS brought down a guitar lesson book he’d bought, and asked to borrow DH’s classical guitar. You should have seen the smile on DH’s face! </p>
<p>DH is going to talk to DS about his future, to make sure DS is doing what he wants to in the fall. We don’t want him feeling as if he “should” continue on this path, just to please us. I did hear him tell someone today that his computing class this summer has been his favorite so far! That was shocking, since just a couple of months ago he told me he thought he wasn’t cut out to do programming.</p>
<p>S2 has gone to Young Life (non-denominational Christian) camp in New York for the week. I sent in his health form MONTHS ago, but the group’s leader lost it. I know I kept a copy someplace, but I have to find it and email it.</p>
<p>Wow, I’m blabbering a lot today!</p>
<p>Spent most of the day cleaning. They’re adding an addition to the library across the street. Everything inside & out is covered in a thin layer (ok, moderate) of dust constantly. Seems like spring cleaning all over again. </p>
<p>My FIL and my parents are coming over tonight for homemade ice cream. They all wanted to see S before he goes back to school. Can’t believe one week from today, he’ll be back at college. This week, we’re going to sort through the dorm mountain and start moving it to the diningroom. </p>
<p>ML: Glad you’re enjoying your time with your S home. I remember the first weekend S came home…hearing the laughter of him & his sister was wonderful.</p>
<p>Enjoy the rest of your weekend ~~</p>
<p>ML, you made me cry. I’m also listening to James Taylor and Carole King on PBS. Their songs always make me weepy. (((hugs)))</p>
<p>ML, I can feel the warm glow from here. So much happiness after so much trouble. And you are NOT “blabbering”!</p>
<p>S was home for 24 hours. He came with the in-laws to celebrate our anniv. D arrived home yesterday from her week with her BF’s family as well. So the 6 of us went to dinner, then came home and played a rousing game of Spades. I was SO happy. We rode to dinner with the 4 of us in our car (in-laws were in their car) and I thought about how this was so routine for so many years, and now it’s a rare treat. </p>
<p>Anyway, S and his grandparents returned to their home this afternoon. The next time we see him may be late Sept, when we’re all flying to D’s campus for Family weekend. He could decide to come home for a visit any time, of course… but for the next 2 weekends he has plans w/his friends.</p>
<p>D and I went shopping this afternoon, and I bought her more clothes. Thank goodness, because otherwise she’d have only had enough outfits to last 2 months without doing laundry.
But we shopped at cheap stores (Forever 21, H&M, Charlotte Russe) so the damage wasn’t too bad. She learned a lot about style from working at her high-end retail outlet this summer - and today we bought a bunch of stuff that “looked like” what was in her old store but cost about 1/4 as much. It won’t hold up nearly as long, but it’s kind of trendy and her tastes change anyway.</p>
<p>
PBK is soooo jealous. He is a diehard Sox fan. </p>
<p>ML, congrats on the run. That’s just awesome. Crossing my fingers that everything is on the right track for you and yours!</p>
<p>Waving! It has taken me forever to catch upp on this thread and I am still quite busy so know I will fall behind again…</p>
<p>Glad to hear from app and that ML’s s is doing well</p>
<p>Hope the moms and other relatives, and of course Lil, improve</p>
<p>Sent from my DROID2 using CC App</p>
<p>Hi all. It seems like forever since I’ve been here, but that’s only because I had a really long day.</p>
<p>ML: so glad your son is having a wonderful visit and getting comfortable “in his own skin” as they say. I didn’t think of your post as a ramble, but that you couldn’t stop smiling. And you know what? After reading your post, I couldn’t stop smiling either.</p>
<p>Rob: I discovered something even better than having to open a second CC window. Instead, I just open a word doc, make my comments, the do a little copy-and-paste. That way, I don’t make a mistake and close the wrong window. On the “other” topic you raised, I thought most uber female runners didn’t get that kind of cycle.</p>
<p>GSharp, you and IL have been out-doing each other on your nostalgic stories. Sorry about the truck’s demise. At least it came back home for its final run. How many miles? I’ll be thinking of D1 in her new job tomorrow. Yeah for that!</p>
<p>So I was visiting mom for most of the day. We watched a movie on my computer and she loved the distraction. She’s on this most disgusting diet of puree-only, which reminded me of cat food, except it wasn’t as lumpy as what I feed my cat. Still, she is doing better over all. Went for a walk and they determined she doesn’t need oxygen at rest. That’s one less tube to deal with. She still has pneumonia and they discovered her heart isn’t quite doing its job, so she’s getting q liquid back-up. Wonder how significant that is and if there are meds for that. She also has to have more tests on her esophagus tomorrow to see if there’s a tear. Ouch! It’s hard to be 94, but she’s determined to do her best to get out of there. Bless her.</p>
<p>My son doesn’t start his internship tomorrow after all. Having something to do with the credit rating debacle. I guessed on Friday night, when I heard, that this new development would somehow mess him up. Oh boy, the markets are going to go crazy tomorrow.</p>
<p>Lima…I have been praying for strength and patience for you. You are such a blessing to your mom, and although I’ve said it before, I know she appreciates you more than she’s able to express! (The same holds true to you, Kiderny!) I hope your son’s internship gets resolved – don’t even get me started on the market! My DH, a stocktrader, has been in a foul mood for what seems like forever!</p>
<p>G#…How incredibly cool that your D2 is being interviewed! Will be cheering again for the mighty tigers? I know you must be so proud of your D1’s job and her many accomplishments. At the same time, this transition into this next phase must be difficult. Cheers to you for making it through!</p>
<p>JackieF, RobD, Applicannot, zooser, YDS, KS, BT, and all of the rest of the 2014 cyber crew ~Waving~</p>
<p>
Checkers…No pun intended, huh? :D</p>
<p>ML…So glad you’re able to have your baby boy home; I know that you, perhaps more than anyone else on this thread, appreciates the time he’s home! Congrats, also, on the run! My speed has gone down somewhat over the past two years. I did 7 mi yesterday, but it took me 66 minutes! I’m realistic and know for me, it’s probably just age. I don’t think I’ll ever get it down below an hour again. C’est la vie!</p>
<p>Laf…Sounds like you and D had fun! I love to shop with my D, but I don’t like getting the credit card bills when they arrive! :(</p>
<p>2ed…So glad you had a wonderful dinner with your boys! You have two mighty handsome young men, you know? (Of course you do!
)</p>
<p>BUandBC…So glad your classroom is coming along well. I’m saddened to hear that you might be retiring; great teachers can be very hard to find as you well know. As far as the SmartBoard is concerned, shoot me an email/pm if you have any questions; I use mine ALL the time (map games, Skyping with classrooms/people across the world, video clips for current events from the networks, etc., etc.). It’s AMAZING how wonderful technology has enhanced my geography and history curriculum. I have Wikis set up where students can interface and share opinions on subjects of interest/controversy, social network groups among my classes specific to our school (not Facebook but similar), EPals, etc. Of course, I have to micro-manage A LOT to ensure the safety and productivity, but it’s worth it, I believe.</p>
<p>D and my dad arrived in C-Ville Friday evening. The movers delivered her stuff from her dorm that was in storage on Saturday. My dad’s truck was filled to the brim with stuff she had purchased over the summer for her new apartment. How one child can accumulate SO much stuff in a mere year is beyond me. I think this was a good thing for her – she doesn’t have me there, and it’s forced her to be a bit more independent. She’s been texting me pictures ALL day, “Should I hang this here or here?” “Do you think this should go here?” “Do I line ALL the shelves with this shelf liner?” She called 5:00 today and said there was a “big” problem. I’m thinking the worst – car wreck? Apparently, she and my dad were eating dinner at a restaurant across from campus, and she said, “There’s a car just like mine driving around town!” I’m like, “Huh? Are you for real? You made me have a panic attack for that?” She laughed, but I could tell there was a small undertone of seriousness in her voice. I must sadly confess that I have a bit of a “princess” at times! It’s what comes with being the only child/grandchild for 5 years (until our second came along – that’s it – no more on either side). It’s certainly not something I’m proud of. She’s got a really kind heart and is SO sincere and giving; however, she’s also been spoiled much more so than I ever was. I hope she marries someone who will help her to be a bit more grounded. I know she wants to do Doctors Without Borders for a couple of years after med school, so I’m hopeful this, too, will help her to be more grounded. Can anyone else relate?</p>
<p>Well, have a great evening everyone!</p>
<p>Go Red Sox!!!</p>
<p>Good Morning!</p>
<p>Here I am…first day of meetings. </p>
<p>alice - Yay!! You posted late, so I guess you made it to the end of the game. Fun!</p>
<p>RobD - Glad your D is home!</p>
<p>jc - Thanks for the offer of help. I’ve found a couple of ready made programs that I can use to get started. I think it will be fun. I hope your year has started off well.</p>
<p>I’m glad your D and H arrived safely. And I can relate…My boys are wonderful, kind, polite, and caring, but their lives have been somewhat sheltered and very fortunate. I’ve tried to encourage them to include humbleness and appreciation in their lives, as well as empathy for others. I think they’ll all be okay.</p>
<p>Have a good day everyone! Happy Monday!</p>
<p>Good morning and happy Monday. :)</p>
<p>I didn’t get on CC yesterday so I see I missed quite a bit. Thanks to the great recappers. </p>
<p>lima, I hope your mom continues to improve.</p>
<p>ML - I can only imagine how whole and complete your life feels to have S home. It sounds like things are going well and he’s glad to be there. Wonderful!</p>
<p>Today my baby boy turns 19. He asked for (and got) a record player. Yes, that’s right. A record player! He’s been collecting albums for about a year, and kinda wants to play them. duh. Last year H spent a week on Ted Nugent’s farm doing a shoot. Ted gave him a autographed copy of “Free For All,” which he immediately turned over to Son’s collection. That was the first album he played. Followed by Sigh no More from Mumford & Sons and Boston by Boston. Ahh. Memory Lane. ;)</p>
<p>Oh, and last night, D surprised S with tix to a Death Cab for Cutie concert. So, the 2 of them went together. It really makes me happy the way they hang out together.</p>
<p>good morning, I guess alice stayed till the end of the game!</p>
<p>Happy launching all those doing that at this point!</p>
<p>DB: Happy Birthday to your “Baby Boy!” :D</p>
<p>good morning all!!!</p>
<p>awww.gsharp…the end of an era!!!</p>
<p>ditto to all the great recaps…(i’m behind)</p>
<p>.JC40’s D; prayinglady’s D – 8/6</p>
<p>)xoxoxox> Parent56’s S; SWTCAT’s D – 8/10
somewhereinga D…8/11
CheckersMidwest’ S – 8/14
Tx5’s D—8/15
BUandBC’s S - 8/17
Lafalum84’s D – 8/18
2education’s S1 --8/19
MaineLonghorn’s S, Twinmama D2, Shillyshally’s D – 8/20
RobD’s D; AL34’s S – 8/21
Twinmama D1-- 8/23
BonnieNewJersey D- 8/25
CaliforniaDancer – 8/26
Coskat’s D-- 8/27
mdemvizi, PinotNoir’s S – 8/27
DougBetsy’s S – 8/28
limabeans’s BB3, SLUMOM’s S – 8/28
zoosermom’s D2 – 8/28
jbehlend’s S – 8/29
psychmom’s D – 8/30
showmom858 D --8/31
Yds’ ds – 9/4 (we leave the day before)
CountingDown’s S2, Mathmom’s S2 – 9/4
jackief’s D – 9/6
pugmadkate’s S – 9/7
aliceinw’s S – 9/9
ProudNJMom’s S; G#’s D2 – 9/10
Tx5’s S – 9/14
FindAPlace’s S – 9/18
2leashes’ D --9/19
psychmomma’s S – 9/20
mommusic’s S – 9/21
esobay’s S – 9/22</p>
<p>Happy b’day to DB’s S!!! good thoughts for all dealing with illnesses!!</p>
<p>Good morning all. And Happy Birthday to DB’s S!!</p>
<p>I did indeed make it to the end of the game, after having gotten up at 4:30 AM to get to the Babson parking lot for the Sunday morning Pan Mass Challenge riders, and then spending much of the day finishing the dumpster fill job. H worked harder than I did, but it was because what was left in the basemember yesterday was boxes and boxes of files - his dead storage from work - and he had to go through them one by one to decide what to get rid of and what to keep. UGH! He was so exhausted he almost forgot to bring our tickets to the game. Today with any luck the dumpster will be carted away and replaced with a storage unit. Then we need to somehow get everything into that unit before Wednesday when the demolition crew arrives. Too bad all this work won’t have the reward of a lovely new addition or new kitchen or something when it’s done - just a dry basement we hope.</p>
<p>Happy Monday.</p>
<p>Happy birthday DB’s darling boy!!! Hoping for a great week for everyone.</p>
<p>alice that was a game worth staying for - DH and I stayed up until the end for bragging rights on which team would take the series - I am very proud to say that Yankee lover suffered :)</p>
<p>DB - Happy Birthday to your S!!</p>
<p>ML - I’m so glad you are enjoying every moment of your brood being back together!</p>
<p>G# - fingers crossed the apartment works out and the first day goes fabulously!</p>
<p>RobD - I would so not be that dedicated a runner - now I admit I don’t like losing time to pit stops or traffic lights when I’m working out and trying to achieve a certain pace/time but I have never not heeded the call in a timely manner and have always found at least a semi-private bush when needed.</p>