Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>May I add to the “teen male driver discrimination” stories?</p>

<p>Several years ago, S1 was taking some friends home from a baseball game ~ 11pm. He was driving my VW van. A car parked on the side of the street - driven by an 18-yr old girl - pulled out & started to do a U-turn in front of him. He swerved to avoid the car, but the car hit the van’s passenger front anyways. Fortunately nobody was injured. S1, who is an Eagle Scout & couldn’t lie to save his life, called the police. Police arrived on the scene to find 4 teen boys & a distraught teen girl. Guess who was declared at fault? Police assumed that a group of boys out at night could not be up to any good, so S1 was written up for “crossing the double line” when he swerved to avoid the turning car. Fortunately he did not get a ticket or probation, but repairs to my van cost $12K. It does tend to make one rather cynical.</p>

<p>GSharp: I will be very sentimental about losing Bionic Pickup when the time comes. Ah, the memories: I’ve lost track of the number of fender benders (DH) & rear-end accidents (DS) (I was on a first-name basis with several local auto body shops), racing Corvettes, consulting the internet on how to change a tire. Bionic has a valiant - and very forgiving - truck heart.</p>

<p>Laf: that was a sweet story about the guardian trees. You should write a short essay about them.</p>

<p>BonnieNJ & lima: you both have had tough summers. Here’s hoping that your mothers improve, you both get some relief, and Bonnie’s family in London remains safe. Jc40 said it best: “You are such a blessing to your mother(s).”</p>

<p>mdem: I’ll be thinking of you in London. Have a great trip & be safe.</p>

<p>sewemma: have a great vacation & enjoy Williamsburg!</p>

<p>aliceinw: you are amazing, working the Pan Mass Challenge parking at 4:30am & staying awake till the end of the baseball game! I hope your remodeling goes smoothly.</p>

<p>jc40: I am comforted to know that someone else’s child is taking as much stuff to COLLEGE as my S2. LOL about the automotive doppelganger.</p>

<p>

You make me laugh. I’m sure the birthday party will be spectacular. Have fun! Perhaps we will cross paths at W&M next week. We’ll be the red-faced people staggering under a Beer Pong table & the mega sound system (the 2011 version of the 250-lb TV). </p>

<p>S2’s last day at work is next Tues. He has been working 10-12 hours/day, getting up for the 7am-1pm lifeguard shift, then teaching group & private swim lessons until 8 pm. It makes for a long day. He’s dealt with a difficult boss & realizes that it’s time to find a different job next summer.</p>

<p>^^^ What she said! :D</p>

<p>Y’all do know my 16yo ds just got his license yesterday, right? These stories are not making me feel good about the situation.</p>

<p>Laf, I agree that you should write an essay about the trees. Quite touching. I think we have several fabulous writers on this thread, in fact.</p>

<p>acm, party sounds awesome. And, yeah, you ARE funny.</p>

<p>Ds1 went to a mtg of his old troop last night. So nice to have those roots. :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Today took ds2 to fix his schedule. He noted that he has all male teachers this year. Is that unusual at your HS?</p>

<p>YDS- D2 has all male teachers this year as well. Last year she had one female for English.</p>

<p>Sorry to hear about the hassles with the young drivers.</p>

<p>Happy launching! (I’ll be saying that a lot until our time comes)</p>

<p>:cool: :cool:</p>

<p>I agree YDS. Did you all know BB3 will DRIVING across the country to school this year? So now, as i sift through these frustrating stories about guys getting the early accusation before all the facts are exposed, I’m even more worried. And thanks to 12rmh18, I learn being an Eagle Scout isn’t going to help! Does it help he’s also a certified EMT?</p>

<p>I agree. Laf, you should get that story published.</p>

<p>Have a fun 50th celebration for DH acm. Is it rainy where you are?</p>

<p>Wow, I don’t think I can do an adequate job of catching up after being out of town for 48 hours. Helped my father celebrate his 89th…go DAD!</p>

<p>The good news is, I came back and the house is still standing after being in S’s tender care. He cut the grass and then it rained so things actually look much better than I remember them!</p>

<p>And he told a funny story about trying to make a smoothie. I had told him, just chunk up a banana, freeze it, and in the morning use it to make a smoothie with milk etc. Well, he didn’t think to peel it first, and I didn’t think to tell him. Took some doing, but he managed to peel it frozen and make his breakfast. No biggie, but I just KNEW there would be something amusing related to food preparation issues…just couldn’t predict what it would be!</p>

<p>YDS & lima: I didn’t mean to alarm you with driving stories. My apologies. I do, however, think there is a bias against young male drivers & it would be worth talking to your sons about how to handle the police if they ever get pulled over. Always be respectful!</p>

<p>PS lima: S1 never told the officer that he is an Eagle Scout. I just meant that he’s a really honest kid who epitomizes the 12 points of the Scout Law.</p>

<p>Good Afternoon! We are in Lake Tahoe with a lot of extended family and it is gorgeous! I had to leave D1 and DH home to work. It is DH’s 55th birthday so I feel a little guilty, but he is celebrating with his parents and not a big birthday guy anyway. </p>

<p>No real college news to report except that S3 has STILL not started his summer homework.</p>

<p>Happy launchings!!</p>

<p>bumping us to page 1… </p>

<p>I’m still in denial about re-launch. It has been (for the most part) really grand to have DS back home. He and DH will go to Cape Cod this Friday, and I will meet them a week later. Drop-off at Olin is Sat 8/27. I’m sad to see him go, but happy for his new opportunities.</p>

<p>Good morning. Coffee is ready. :)</p>

<p>I agree, colmom, it’s been great having our S home, too. I’ll really miss him when he returns to campus. </p>

<p>tx5 - I’m jealous. Tahoe is on my bucket list.</p>

<p>mommusic - I’m impressed your S would attempt a recipe with more than 2 ingredients. He’s well ahead of my S in the kitchen!</p>

<p>Have a great day. :)</p>

<p>Thanks for coffee, DB.
Around 1:00 AM last night, I received a text from dd2 “Back in China, boarding plane to Seoul.” And, this morning she posted on FB via Foursquare that she was in the Incheon (Seoul) airport. So happy that the North Korea leg to this trip is over and I can breathe again!
Also very happy to read on the Forbes list of America’s best colleges, that Lafayette is number 33 beating out, by far, arch rival Lehigh at 124! Whoot, whoot! :)</p>

<p>DB–he LIKES smoothies. Did he touch the box of already washed, ready to serve salad mix? Nope. At least he didn’t break the blender!</p>

<p>This week we plan to get together with one of S’s friends and his mother, who is my friend, before the kid goes back to school. Where did the summer go???</p>

<p>Thanks for the coffee!! good morning all</p>

<p>JC40’s D; prayinglady’s D – 8/6</p>

<p>)xoxoxoxo> Parent56’s S; SWTCAT’s D – 8/10
somewhereinga D…8/11
CheckersMidwest’ S – 8/14
Tx5’s D—8/15
BUandBC’s S - 8/17
Lafalum84’s D – 8/18
2education’s S1 --8/19
MaineLonghorn’s S, Twinmama D2, Shillyshally’s D – 8/20
RobD’s D; AL34’s S – 8/21
Limabeans’s BB3 – 8/22
Twinmama D1-- 8/23
BonnieNewJersey D- 8/25
CaliforniaDancer – 8/26
Coskat’s D-- 8/27
mdemvizi, PinotNoir’s S, coloradomom’s S – 8/27
DougBetsy’s S – 8/28
SLUMOM’s S – 8/28
zoosermom’s D2 – 8/28
jbehlend’s S – 8/29
psychmom’s D – 8/30
showmom858 D --8/31
sewemma’s S – 9/3
Yds’ ds – 9/4 (we leave the day before)
CountingDown’s S2, Mathmom’s S2 – 9/4
jackief’s D – 9/6
pugmadkate’s S – 9/7
aliceinw’s S – 9/9
ProudNJMom’s S; G#’s D2 – 9/10
Tx5’s S – 9/14
limabeans BB2; FindAPlace’s S – 9/18
2leashes’ D --9/19
psychmomma’s S – 9/20
mommusic’s S – 9/21
esobay’s S – 9/22</p>

<p>Good Morning!
Good Luck to today and tomorrow’s launchers! P56’s S, SWTCAT’s D, and Somewhere’s D! :D</p>

<p>mdemvizi, stay safe! I’m sure you’ll be OK. People will tell you which areas to avoid. Have a great trip!</p>

<p>When my sister was a teenager, she got stopped by a cop - he thought she was driving erratically and accused her of drinking! You’d have to know my sister - alcohol has never touched her lips. She started crying, and I guess the officer believed her.</p>

<p>Oh, I can’t believe kids are being launched already. I’m trying not to think about it!</p>

<p>YDS, good luck with your newly-licensed driver! My 16-year-old S is doing really well, knock on wood. I figured out that if D13 gets licensed as soon as she can, I have less than a year (August 2013 - April 2014) of having to drive a kid around constantly. Hard to believe.</p>

<p>Not much to report here. DH, DS, D13, and I took our boat to a nearby lake and met some friends there. D13 and I just hung out while everybody else sailed. It was a nice afternoon. It looks as if we’re going to have several folks go to our cabin with us on Friday. I’m a little stressed about it, because I am so not “domestic.” I need to figure out something to cook ahead of time so we can just warn it up there. Does anyone have any suggestions?? Please? :)</p>

<p>Good morning iPeeps!</p>

<p>Sending good wishes & happy launchings to P56 & SWTCAT today, and somewhereinga tomorrow.</p>

<p>ML: Hmmm, cook-ahead for a cabin… I am the crockpot queen (even when I beat it in frustration ;)), so how about a crockpot of taco meat with bags of toppings prepared in advance? A friend once traveled from VA to Cape Cod with frozen taco meat (which thawed enroute), then served dinner to 17 upon arrival. Other thoughts: spaghetti dinner, stew, chili, pan of lasagna. All can be prepared in advance & reheated. They taste better that way.</p>

<p>waving to all</p>

<p>Lake Tahoe is on my bucket list too. We should have a convention.</p>

<p>Anyone else in one of those ‘feel sorry for me, crappy moods’ today ? :rolleyes:</p>

<p>Bucket List : Paris.</p>

<p>Cool 62 this morning !! Shocker after all those 100 degree days. </p>

<p>Happy Launching today Parent56 & SWTCAT! :)</p>

<p>lol checkers…hand raised!!</p>

<p>bucket list…1. greek islands 2. own a cottage on the ocean and live there…preferably a cool location ie puget sound</p>

<p>I would take any sort of hideaway in any different place right about now - the remoter and less connected or not connected at all the better - 48 hours of uninterrupted quiet would be amazing right about now :)</p>

<p>Morning all. Sick day here. I’ve completely lost my voice & aparently I’ve gotten hit by a truck. Blech. </p>

<p>Last day of summer for D2 as our district is back in session tomorrow. She’s thrilled. </p>

<p>So happy that D1 returned from England last week; stay safe mdemvizi! </p>

<p>Good luck to tomorrow’s launchers :)</p>