Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>Just planned to check in here, but wanted to obliterate ML’s woes. Get some lobster at a local lobster pound & corn at a farmer’s market. How simple is that? Then make a yummy and very easy blueberry cobbler using Maine blueberries of course + vanilla ice cream! I have an amazing recipe for the cobbler, but I’ll have to find it.</p>

<p>Or make a bunch of different salads, some hot (ginger/peanut noodles), some cold and get some fresh fish and brownies. Oh how I wish I was there! Or Lake Tahoe sounds nice too. Or BHI. Or ??, but at least somewhere on vacation!</p>

<p>P56: didn’t your son send you a listing?</p>

<p>Oops. One more thing. Whose kids got into vinyl records recently? Turns out ours did too. He discovered our turnstyle in the attic last night when we worried about the rain. I made the mistake of telling him about a box of records there too. We have some really special collectibles: the white album, Abbey Road, and a slew of others. Oh, those were the days of good music! My favs: Joni Mitchell, Carole King, Janis, Simon & Garfinkel, Alman Bros. My DH: Led Zeplin, Hendrix. He probably likes GWAR too if I asked. ;)</p>

<p>^We have about 3 feet of old vinyl records, just taking up space. We hate to get rid of them b/c some, no many, have sentimental value. People we know are on them, I’m even on a few. Or they’re the good old artists from our HS & college days. So they take up space we could use for other things. But our stock really went up with our kids when they discovered we have original Beatles and Alice’s Restaurant!</p>

<p>Speaking of old things…I was going through some old papers from my parents’ attic & found a clipping from when I made Dean’s list freshman year. It must have been in the spring, cause I was also “a member of Alpha Lambda Delta National honor society for freshmen women.” LOL :smiley: I remember many recent discussions on the value of those freshman honor societies! I swear I did not know I was a member. I’m sure it impressed some people at the time…</p>

<p>Good morning everyone. Pouring myself a second cup of coffee here on the west coast.</p>

<p>Wishing all of our launchers well today!</p>

<p>RobD - Feel better soon.</p>

<p>ML - I have a great recipe for chicken tortilla soup which you can make ahead and just reheat. It is excellent with jack cheese, avocado, green onions, sour cream and crushed tortilla chips as toppings. Make some cornbread and a salad and you have a great meal.</p>

<p>lima - D2 is really into vinyl. She has all of H’s and my old albums plus she has bought many more at second had stores and yard sales. She also has bought new artists like Arcade Fire on vinyl.</p>

<p>Bonnie- glad your D is back in SK and on her way home!</p>

<p>happy launching!</p>

<p>We spent a day at Tahoe on our xc trip. It was so beautiful, and perhaps the only non-ocean body of water I would consider living near, but that won’t happen as I 'm sure I could never afford it.</p>

<p>Will be at the cape sametime as cmom, we will have guests for two of the weekends plus my sister for the time in between. Next week will be just me and the girls. D1 will work until second weekend guest then will have ~ a week off before heading back.</p>

<p>D1 is not into vinyl but many of her friends are. We threw away all of H’s records when we moved.</p>

<p>Hey, all.</p>

<p>ML, second tortilla soup. Feeds a large crowd. My recipe is embarrassingly easy, if you want it.</p>

<p>Hmmm, blueberries. I also have a great blueberry buckle cake recipe if you want it. Calls for real shortening. Not low calorie but, oh, so, good. Ds2 asked for it for his birthday one year and had so much he ended up having a reaction to the blueberries!</p>

<p>Had my annual this morning. Anyone else love their OB/GYN? She is my second-favorite doctor’s appt, next to the flirty rheumatologist, of course. And funny thing – I have her number memorized despite only seeing her once a year. I’m thinking it was all those calls while I was pregnant with the boys.</p>

<p>Ds1 played pickup ultimate last night, then got home in time to rally the Rangers to a win! The next week is a big one. Yankees fans, can’t you get your guys to beat the Angels???</p>

<p>Yes, I LOVE my GYN. I’ve seen her since 1989. I’m worried she’s going to retire one of these years! She’s already given up delivering babies. I had her number memorized, but then she moved. For years, the old phone number would work, along with the new one, but it’s finally been discontinued.</p>

<p>Thanks for the great ideas for meals! I am going to use several of them!</p>

<p>reading along…catching up…catching up… all of a sudden…</p>

<p>TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!:eek:</p>

<p>I’m going back to work now.</p>

<p>Would y’all mind sharing your chicken tortilla soup recipes? I’m thinking that would be a good thing for me to have today :)</p>

<p>Hey IL, my brother just texted me a photo of SNOW in Pittsburgh! :eek: Turns out they are filming the next Batman movie. He got me - the snow sure looked real.</p>

<p>Happy launchings to P56 & SWTCAT )=:)+:)=></p>

<p>Love all the food ideas, the bucket list…Sending warm wishes to all.</p>

<p>Shilly i am with you :eek:</p>

<p>Going back to work and trying to stay :cool:</p>

<p>Here’s my recipe:</p>

<p>Chicken Tortilla Soup
Ingredients
• 1 onion, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 teaspoons chili powder
• 2 teaspoon cumin
• 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
• 1 chicken broth (32 ozs)
• 1 can whole corn kernels, cooked
• 1 can white corn
• 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
• 2 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
• 2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and shredded
• crushed tortilla chips
• sliced avocado
• shredded Monterey Jack cheese
• chopped green onions
• sour cream
Directions

  1. In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in chili powder, cumin, tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
  2. Stir in corn, chiles, beans, cilantro, and chicken. Simmer for 1 hour.
  3. Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and top with crushed tortilla chips, avocado slices, cheese, sour cream and chopped green onion.</p>

<p>Yep, I can see the scene out my office window. It’s on Oliver Way, from Grant down to Wood, the street is covered with “snow”. The Batmobile was parked out in front of the bank this morning. I didn’t know he was a customer! :D</p>

<p>^I can’t believe I’m missing all of this! They were even filming at CMU before (by the Software Engineering Institute and the Mellon Institute). Everyone I know who was there the whole summer went through the process of signing up to be an extra…alas, I left to early, despite taking summer classes!</p>

<p>^^How cool is that?! Did you ask Batman to give you a ride?</p>

<p>showmom: that recipe looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing.</p>

<p>If the batmobile were parked in front of my bank, I would assume it was being robbed. :smiley:
A few years ago, one of the guys from H office dressed up like batman for Halloween. The surprise, was his VERY modest teacher-girlfriend dressed up like Batgirl. Tight black outfit - the real deal. Everyone in town still talks about it. I’m not sure if we’re all jealous she could pull it off, or just shocked she had it in her. :)</p>

<p>Thanks for the Tortilla Soup recipe - looks delicious !</p>

<p>mommusic: So…some of the records your kids are playing …are of you singing ?! A little hint , please…</p>

<p>I wish I could sing. Well. :rolleyes:</p>

<p>Whenever our dog’s onboard, I say I drive a batmobile. ;)</p>

<p>lol DB :smiley: on batman. I think I saw a batmobile at a car show once.</p>

<p>My doctor just retired! We are all crushed!! She had a family practice so did everything from regular checkups, gyn stuff, delivered both girls, their doctor and H’s dr also. So she was the only dr the girls ever had! Friday D2 is the first one to have an appt with a different dr. We are not handling it well. I have a specialist I see more often than her now a days, and would make him my new primary if I could, but he is in Boston at a specialized facility so that wouldn’t work.</p>

<p>MaineLonghorn–I’ve got a really easy recipe for a roast beef that I had passed down to me from my father (who used to prepare it when he did a dinner party selling Wear-Ever pots and pans back before I was born–59 years ago this month). Depending on how many meals or snacks you want out of it, you can cook pounds of meat in advance. The flavors get better as they meld in storage. You have many options in serving, reheat and eat with veggies and potato or rice dish. You can easily make a great gravy from the juices which I used to love over rice. If you want to make sandwiches, you can cut slabs of it cold for a great roast beef sandwich. DsS even shredded it and heated the shredded meat in its own juices for a sandwich sort of like a sloppy Joe.</p>

<p>If you want the recipe, just PM me.</p>

<p>I have one other anecdote about this recipe. I talked often to a woman who was a head hunter–looking for doctors to fill Emergency Rooms needs and other more permanent positions. One day we were talking. She had gotten engaged. Her fiance hunted big game. When we talked, she was frantic. He had scheduled a dinner with friends over and she had to cook an elk roast. She had no idea how to cook it. I had used this recipe with venison, so I told her how to cook it, but not to show anybody. She called me back after the dinner to tell me how everybody raved about it and wanted the recipe. I don’t know whether she shared it or not.</p>

<p>Trust me, if roast beef fits your needs, this recipe is so easy you won’t believe it.</p>

<p>JC40’s D; prayinglady’s D – 8/6</p>

<p>)xoxoxoxo> Parent56’s S; SWTCAT’s D – 8/10
somewhereinga D…8/11
CheckersMidwest’ S – 8/14
Tx5’s D—8/15
BUandBC’s S, austinmtmom’s D - 8/17
Lafalum84’s D – 8/18
2education’s S1 --8/19
MaineLonghorn’s S, Twinmama D2, Shillyshally’s D – 8/20
RobD’s D; AL34’s S – 8/21
Limabeans’s BB3 – 8/22
Twinmama D1-- 8/23
BonnieNewJersey D- 8/25
CaliforniaDancer – 8/26
Coskat’s D-- 8/27
mdemvizi, PinotNoir’s S, coloradomom’s S – 8/27
DougBetsy’s S – 8/28
SLUMOM’s S – 8/28
zoosermom’s D2 – 8/28
jbehlend’s S – 8/29
psychmom’s D – 8/30
showmom858 D --8/31
sewemma’s S – 9/3
Yds’ ds – 9/4 (we leave the day before)
CountingDown’s S2, Mathmom’s S2 – 9/4
jackief’s D – 9/6
pugmadkate’s S – 9/7
aliceinw’s S – 9/9
ProudNJMom’s S; G#’s D2 – 9/10
Tx5’s S – 9/14
limabeans BB2; FindAPlace’s S – 9/18
2leashes’ D --9/19
psychmomma’s S – 9/20
mommusic’s S – 9/21
esobay’s S – 9/22</p>

<p>Just adding in our re-launch date. Trying to keep up but not on as much as I would like. Sending warm thoughts to all!</p>

<p>our relaunch date will be DDs first launch to college - since last years was to a gap year.</p>

<p>Even so its not clear. The RPI freshman week program will begin on August 22. DD is now sabbath observant and does not want to move in on the 21st as is scheduled. Housing has given her permission to move in on Friday the 20th. Current plan is to move in her stuff then, then we will all head to a small town (maybe in Vermont?) for a quiet Shabbos, and then take her back to RPI Saturday night. </p>

<p>We would spend Shabbos in Troy, but DD feels she will spend enough saturdays in Troy this semester, as she has a class late on Friday (biology, required for Archies - only two sections open to Archies and the other was filled) making it hard to get out of town.</p>