Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>ProudNJmom, your Times Square story remind me of my MIL. She grew up in NJ in a town where she could see the Statue of Liberty across the water, then had 4 kids and raised them 10 miles away, but she had never actually been to the Statue of Liberty until she had grandchildren and took them to see it. </p>

<p>Hard for me to believe that my S now works a couple of blocks from Times Square! All this exciting NYC stuff is rapidly becoming his hum-drum daily routine. At the moment he and his friends are dying to see The Book of Mormon. He couldn’t buy tickets until he got a job, and now the first date with available tickets is in January. The tickets are $155, which is better than the $250 apiece tickets he found a few weeks ago but didn’t buy!</p>

<p>good morning all…thanks for the coffee donnagal!!! will keep fingers crossed for your S…and hopefully all will go well!!</p>

<p>JC40’s D; prayinglady’s D – 8/6
Parent56’s S; SWTCAT’s D – 8/10</p>

<p>)xoxoxoxo> somewhereinga D…8/11
CheckersMidwest’ S – 8/14
Tx5’s D—8/15
BUandBC’s S, austinmtmom’s D - 8/17
Lafalum84’s D – 8/18
2education’s S1 --8/19
MaineLonghorn’s S, Twinmama D2, Shillyshally’s D, Brooklynborndad’s D – 8/20
RobD’s D; AL34’s S – 8/21
Limabeans’s BB3 – 8/22
Twinmama D1-- 8/23
BonnieNewJersey D- 8/25
CaliforniaDancer – 8/26
Coskat’s D-- 8/27
mdemvizi, PinotNoir’s S, coloradomom’s S – 8/27
DougBetsy’s S – 8/28
SLUMOM’s S – 8/28
zoosermom’s D2 – 8/28
jbehlend’s S , donnagal’s S-- 8/29
psychmom’s D – 8/30
showmom858 D --8/31
sewemma’s S – 9/3
Yds’ ds – 9/4 (we leave the day before)
CountingDown’s S2, Mathmom’s S2 – 9/4
jackief’s D – 9/6
pugmadkate’s S – 9/7
aliceinw’s S – 9/9
ProudNJMom’s S; G#’s D2 – 9/10
Tx5’s S – 9/14
limabeans BB2; FindAPlace’s S – 9/18
2leashes’ D --9/19
psychmomma’s S – 9/20
mommusic’s S – 9/21
esobay’s S – 9/22</p>

<p>Good morning. :)</p>

<p>Happy launch to somewhereinga’s D!</p>

<p>Good morning all. Thanks for the coffee.</p>

<p>I have been reading along, just trying to keep up, but too busy to join in the conversation. Somehow we managed to empty our basement in time for the demolition crew to get started yesterday morning. And I did enough work in three days to keep the wolves at bay while I take two days off (I hope). So in a few minutes I’m headed back to Vermont for my second yoga retreat for this summer. Unfortunately, my back is still bothering me a bit, and my shoulder is sore, but it is possible to learn a lot by practicing yoga while taking care of injured parts - so here’s hoping.</p>

<p>In spite of being too busy to comment, I must applaud the tribute to Lima!</p>

<p>Namaste to all.</p>

<p>Beautiful 57 degrees here this morning !!! I think we’ve set low records now in addition to our highs. Wacky weather.</p>

<p>Our exchange student arrives tonight. She left Italy at 3:10 am our time. She is somewhere over the ocean right now.</p>

<p>School starts next Wednesday for D15. She finally said yesterday that she is ready to go back. She doesn’t particularly like school. She’s bright and makes good grades, but she has to REALLY work at it, it’s hard for her. Can’t say I’d like it a lot either under those circumstances. However, I must say…I am ready for school to start. :p</p>

<p>Alice: Enjoy your yoga weekend.</p>

<p>alice, I have the same problem - not much time to respond! I will try to catch up later.</p>

<p>Checkers, your D15 sounds just like my D13. She has to work harder than her brothers in school. She actually makes better grades than they did at that age, because she is so organized and thorough. But she is starting to dread school already, and she doesn’t go back until August 31.</p>

<p>DH suggested that we pray with DS last night. Our faith is important to us, but I hadn’t thought of one very concrete advantage to prayer with our son. DH told him to pray about whatever was worrying him, so we got to hear his deepest anxieties. He really shared openly. I’m glad everyone’s eyes were closed, because I was crying! His faith seems very solid to me, which is so encouraging to us. Then DH prayed, and he was able to make some valuable suggestions to DS about things he could do when the going gets rough. You can be sneaky in prayer! :)</p>

<p>ML, I love your practical approach to prayer! I have had some intense conversations recently about the power of prayer with a friend who is Baptist. I am a long time lapsed catholic but I found some solace and appeal in her take on God.</p>

<p>It is a stunningly beautiful day at the Jersey Shore. I drooped stalkerdog off at the groomers and headed to the beach club. I am sitting under a palm tree (yep, the owners plant palm trees every summer) enjoying the day. Everything is almost done for crazydad’s party Saturday. I am having it catered, all the rentals were delivered yesterday, bought the wine and soft drinks, hired servers and made an appointment to have my hair blown out Sarturday afternoon. I just need beer and the ingredients for the Pomegranite Margaritas. Oh and ice. I also just re-did my downstairs and upstairs halls. I added wainscoting and wallpapered. My guy is just finishing painting the ceilings and the staircase spindles today so I need to rehang all the pictures. I’ll get that done tonight so I can hopefully go to the beach after I work tomorrow morning.</p>

<p>My house will be cleaned tomorrow, so takeout for dinner. The kitchen will stay pristine until the last possible minute!</p>

<p>Checker, S has been complaining the house was cleaner when it was just him at home! The woman who cleans for us gave herself projects when it was just him, she seemed embarrassed-that we’d think she wasn’t going enough. I assume when she was there he took his nasty workout clothes out of his bathroom and down to the laundry.</p>

<p>My</p>

<p>Laf, I am seeing The Book of Mormon this weekend! I will report back on how it is. I, like your S, have really been enjoying NYC this summer, though I of course have mostly just been there on the weekends.</p>

<p>Beautiful day here, lovely after all the heat we have had. Last night I opened the windows cause it was so cool…with clean sheets on the bed, it was (almost) like being on vacation somewhere up north! :)</p>

<p>DH is in NYC all week, I am here…someday I will retire and join him for adventures in the Big Apple (he works hard but I know he does eat out a lot.) I’m jealous.</p>

<p>acm: Your party sounds wonderful ! You are very good at planning occasions. </p>

<p>Found the flight tracker for our exchange student…she is now coming down the edge of Canada, headed for Maine it looks like. She’ll land in just less than 2 hours in Newark. I know she is independant, but I’m a little concerned about her layover there. I’ve been there twice, and I thought it was intense. </p>

<p>S took the day and went fishing all day with some of his HS friends. He’s been home all summer and pretty much spent it with the GF. She’s wonderful & we really like her, but I’m glad to see him do something else. I just think it’s healthier.</p>

<p>D15’ cheer coach just had a baby. I suggested they all bring $5 - which will give them $50. Any suggestions for something special ? I always just get a cute outfit with all the matching pieces from Carter’s or somewhere. I need ideas for something ‘different’…</p>

<p>Checkers - best of luck on the arrival of your exchange student!</p>

<p>I have been reading but work has been crazy so it’s been hard to respond - I hope all have felt my silent hugs and high fives while reading! :)</p>

<p>Checkers: how exciting about your exchange student! I hope you both have a good experience. As for baby gifts, two of my nieces just had babies (that makes me a great-auntie :)). I bought the new babies [ribbon</a> tag blankets](<a href=“PERSONALIZED Ribbon Tag Blankie With Pacifier Clip Large 16 X - Etsy”>PERSONALIZED Ribbon Tag Blankie With Pacifier Clip Large 16 X - Etsy) on Etsy dot com. You can have the blankies personalized.</p>

<p>It’s a beautiful day here too. We call it a “Maine morning” (:smiley: ML) when the temps are low & there is no humidity.</p>

<p>Oh there have been so many comments I’ve wanted to write, but didn’t have a moment. The top of the list must be to GSharp. Your “tribute” is so charming, I don’t feel I deserve it. (How did you know I have a D&B purse?) But it must have worked wonders (or miracles, depending on your religion :)) ‘cuz Mom is now once again in falling colors. I think she’ll outlive us all. That is, she’s been in the hospital for gallstones and pneumonia and all sorts of BP and oxygen level issues, but she keeps going strong. Took her to her doctor today (after my brother panicked yesterday after listening to the VNurse) who insisted her O2 level was dangerously low and she needed an X-ray. I was a bit fearful mom was going back to the hospital, but she came out with absolute flying colors. BP good. O2 level strong. Lungs cleared. She objected to the advice she’s been getting about having to have thickened liquids and purees. “For the rest of my life!!!” she exclaimed in horror. (I reminded her that I was told at age 29 that I’d be giving myself shots of insulin for the rest of my life, but no matter.) I told her I’d switch to thickened liquids and purees instead of my diseased blood anytime, but all she thought was that I was giving her a death notice in the form of thickened juice. Errrg</p>

<p>Kids have been great, especially now there’s extra family visiting. BB2 started his internship, finally! and seems to really enjoy himself. BB3 is in the midst of planning his country-wide travel. At least with my old records playing out now, I’m getting all sorts of flashbacks to my own college days.</p>

<p>RobD, I hope you’re feeling better.</p>

<p>ML: love the use of prayer. That’s a great freeing way to share.</p>

<p>GL to Checkers and the new member of your household. Here’s hoping all goes well.</p>

<p>ACM, you’ve mentioned one of the things you do in advance of parties is get your “hair blown out”. I often wonder what that is. I picture hair sticking all out, like mine did when I put my finger in an electric socket, but I don’t think that’s exactly a desirable look.</p>

<p>Let me just say I am very jealous that Laf’s S and CaliD will be seeing The Book of Mormon. one of my friend’s got the chance to see it and he has raved about it all summer.</p>

<p>Today was the last day of my internship. It was a really good experience and I learned a lot. The people who work at the ReStore were really nice and very helpful in the whole process. I don’t plan on being in MD next summer so hopefully I will be onto bigger and better things.</p>

<p>I also went to The Container Store this afternoon. It was my first time :smiley: Of course the minute I stepped into that store I knew my wallet would be screaming by the end of it. I picked up a new shower tote (hate the one I have now), a calendar, lots of Command hooks, some magazine holder thingys, and a new planner. I should never step into a Container Store ever again, haha.</p>

<p>Lima: Sending continued prayers for your Mom. Sorry that she is giving you a hard time about the food situation. I tend to see it as a good sign when the patient starts to complain. </p>

<p>Mdem: Glad you enjoyed the container store! :D</p>

<p>Checkers: Have fun with the exchange student!</p>

<p>Shilly: Sorry about the busy work schedule. Sounds like you will be happy that tomorrow is Friday!</p>

<p>Times Square was a blast. I wish we could have stayed longer! :smiley: The Harry Potter exhibit was great! Pompeii was very somber and it really upset me. 24 Hours is all that it took to destroy the city and the people. S2 loved both. He was very into the Pompeii one. I guess since he’s a classics major it makes sense. S2 was not such a good “tourist.” He thought I was CRAZY because I kept taking pictures of the buildings. He was not into the pictures. Even my Sister said it seemed like he was along for the ride for that part. She was a good sport and let me be a real tourist. We even saw the Naked Cowboy! :wink: S2 did say that next year he would come with us to do one of the double decker tour buses. We want to get the whole family together for that one! I know a few people that did it and said it was fun to get some of the backstories to places in the city. Sorry to be talking so much but I’m still pumped up. Now I want to go back at night and see it all lit up. Time to go and download my pictures!</p>

<p>Hey, everyone. Y’all were quiet today.</p>

<p>We’re getting ready for – wait for it – COWBOYS PRESEASON FOOTBALL!!! So excited!!!</p>

<p>I feel like we should think about packing, but, really, there’s not a lot to take. He was able to store lots of stuff at school. I’m going to try to talk him into an egg crate thing. Just can’t imagine sleeping on those horrible little mattresses all year. Ds2 has extended his internship a week. I’m gearing up with the volunteer work. Summer feels done and gone.</p>

<p>Just stopping by to say hi. Everyone has been so nice and chatty. :)</p>

<p>GSharp - great job on Lima’s gift. That was so sweet of you.</p>

<p>Congrats to your D1 on getting such a conveniently located apartment. Can’t wait to hear how move-in goes. </p>

<p>Lima - glad to hear about your mom’s improved health and yay for your S2 starting his internship!</p>

<p>Checkers - best of luck with your new exchange student.</p>

<p>ACM - Happy Birthday to Crazydad and I know he’s going to love the crazyparty! :D</p>

<p>ML - it sounds like your time with your DS is off to a great start. I’m so happy for you!</p>

<p>Bonnie - hoping things calm down in London for your D and her family, and hoping your younger D enjoys the rest of her trip and returns home safely.</p>

<p>Good luck to all those who have launched or are about to launch! D has finally settled on moving in on 8/24. </p>

<p>JC40’s D; prayinglady’s D – 8/6
Parent56’s S; SWTCAT’s D – 8/10</p>

<p>)xoxoxoxo> somewhereinga D…8/11</p>

<p>CheckersMidwest’ S – 8/14
Tx5’s D—8/15
BUandBC’s S, austinmtmom’s D - 8/17
Lafalum84’s D – 8/18
2education’s S1 --8/19
MaineLonghorn’s S, Twinmama D2, Shillyshally’s D, Brooklynborndad’s D – 8/20
RobD’s D; AL34’s S – 8/21
Limabeans’s BB3 – 8/22
Twinmama D1-- 8/23
LIMOMOF2’s D – 8/24
BonnieNewJersey D- 8/25
CaliforniaDancer – 8/26
Coskat’s D-- 8/27
mdemvizi, PinotNoir’s S, coloradomom’s S – 8/27
DougBetsy’s S – 8/28
SLUMOM’s S – 8/28
zoosermom’s D2 – 8/28
jbehlend’s S , donnagal’s S-- 8/29
psychmom’s D – 8/30
showmom858 D --8/31
sewemma’s S – 9/3
Yds’ ds – 9/4 (we leave the day before)
CountingDown’s S2, Mathmom’s S2 – 9/4
jackief’s D – 9/6
pugmadkate’s S – 9/7
aliceinw’s S – 9/9
ProudNJMom’s S; G#’s D2 – 9/10
Tx5’s S – 9/14
limabeans BB2; FindAPlace’s S – 9/18
2leashes’ D --9/19
psychmomma’s S – 9/20
mommusic’s S – 9/21
esobay’s S – 9/22</p>

<p>YDS - funny that you said it was quiet here today, and I said everyone was so chatty. I guess that’s what happens when I miss a day.</p>

<p>ProudNJMom - I would totally recommend the double decker busses. Once we get to London we are planning to do a double decker bus tour since it gets you an overall tour of the city.</p>

<p>Also, I visited Pompei when I was Italy and was just amazed by what happened and what was left at the destruction. I hope your son gets to visit. It is extremely amazing place and hard to image how fast the city was destroyed.</p>

<p>Yeah, I noticed that. Today seemed quiet compared to the past couple of days when we were Chatty Cathys!</p>

<p>Hey, I just scored a free TV from a friend on FB who was getting rid of one. YEA! The screen is larger than our current one. :)</p>

<p>ETA: Pompeii was one of the best parts of my long-ago trip to Italy. I just didn’t know much about it going in, so much of it was a revelation. Wish I could go back.</p>

<p>Mdem & YDS: S2 is so hoping to do study abroad in Italy. Even if he could do 1-2 weeks it’s his dream to go there.</p>