Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>Good morning! Happy Father’s Day!! </p>

<p>Major progress was made on S2’s dorm mountain yesterday. In addition, progress was made on all the stuff he left when he went to college 2 years ago. And S3 went through all his stuff and got rid of everything that doesn’t fit him anymore so there is now room for S2 in S3’s room. Tuesday he and D1 are going to finish moving D1 out of her apartment and they will bring D1’s twin bed from her apartment and move it into S3’s room so S2 will have a place to sleep. Then when S2 moves into his apartment in September he will bring the bed with him. </p>

<p>Spending a lot of time watching the US Open. So fun to see the 17 year old Southern California kid doing so well. Mdem, we are also watching the College World Series, but rooting for UCLA.</p>

<p>And I love the Kilmowsky name!!</p>

<p>Happy Father’s Day all! We’re pretty quiet here: DH is still feeling “as if someone punch ed him in the stomach” and 2 of our kids aren’t here. That left BB2, who was totally hoping to go to a burger place with DH and then off to see the movie, Prometheus. He’s a bit bummed b/c now he has to cook dinner. Came downstairs to tell me we didn’t have most of the ingredients. I anticipated that: going to the grocery store now.</p>

<p>P56, love the name Diz. perfect for a cat.</p>

<p>In the movie Anastasia, Dmitri is one of the men looking for Anastasia :slight_smile: One of my favorite movies of all time. It was just announced that it will be coming to Broadway too.</p>

<p>S and I picked up a lawn mower we ordered from Walmart, brought it home, and right out of the box could see the blade adjustment lever wouldn’t work and would never work. So S and I took it BACK to Walmart and now have to decide if we want to order a 2nd one (did I mention this was an online order) or just limp along with the aging one we have now for the rest of the summer. Or some 3rd option.</p>

<p>At least DH didn’t have to do this because it was Father’s Day and we said we’d do all the legwork for him. :)</p>

<p>And now I get to take S back to campus for summer school. DH is out of this one too because he’s on his way out of town. </p>

<p>When I get back I’m making myself a nice cool drink! :D</p>

<p>mommusic - Option #3 - consider used. A few years about we replaced our Lawnboy bought in 1985 (and it was already 7 years old). When it died for good, we bought a used Honda for $120 from the elderly mechanic that worked diligently for 20 minutes to determine the old Lawnboy problem was unfixable. We were delighted that he took the old one to scrap too. The Honda runs great, but this year we’ve opted to hire out on the mowing. Ha, your option 4 may be to borrow one from somebody else who has hired out. </p>

<p>tx5 - So glad to hear your place is getting more organized. Wish we could say the same at my house.</p>

<p>Happy Father’s Day to all the Dads and DH’s here!!!</p>

<p>Thanx to everyone for their Father’s Day and Anniversary wishes!</p>

<p>DW and I made it to the beach and had a low-key anniversary / Father’s Day weekend. I hate to see it end, oh well.</p>

<p>Lilmom – Congrats to your DS on this semester’s grades!</p>

<p>Psychmomma – Worst-case, go with a graduation party scavenger hunt that just happens to be all items in S’s dorm mountain.</p>

<p>Lima – Sorry about DH’s kidney stones. I had them once. The ER doctor told me that it is the closest I will ever come to the pain of childbirth.
Me: Give me something for the pain!
ER: Um, we already did. Are you allergic to <some amped="" up="" pain="" killer="">?
Me: I don’t know, but let’s find out!</some></p>

<p>P56 – Did you save enough shopping to cover the ticket? :wink: Sorry. Anyway, the 70 MPH may have been a “gift.” I believe in VA, >15 MPH over the speed limit is reckless driving instead of speeding. Cruise control is your friend.</p>

<p>Both D’s remembered to call for Father’s Day!</p>

<p>D2 called last night to wish Happy Anniversary, Father’s Day, and to give us an update on life in DC…
My part of the call was all about how work was going, lectures she has attended, trip to the Newseum (free pass), navigating the METRO, etc. DW’s part of the call was about how she continues to be right about the “social” part of the summer and how 2 guys from school asked her out on the same day. Some things I don’t need / want to know. :rolleyes: She doesn’t know anything about baseball, but is going to a Nats game with one of the young men. Today was “go to Georgetown and use the free Sprinkle’s cupcake coupon before it expires day. “ She also walked around GT campus.</p>

<p>In semi-college news, D2 really likes her internship and it is apparently getting some ideas of what she might like to do long-term. Her work so far has consisted of studying a collection, writing materials for the visitors to the museum where she is working, and going through a rare books collection (I’m not financially responsible, right? ;)). However, she has run into a minor dilemma. She was supposed to read, summarize a book about the role of astronomy on historical belief systems… “Dad, the book was really difficult. I am not an astronomer so I had to keep copious notes about what I don’t understand so I can go back to it. I didn’t think that all of the material in the book was even relevant.” Then she had a surprise 2 ½ hour meeting with the professor who wrote the book to gather more information… including digging through astronomy books from the 1800’s with him. She got through that OK, but Dr. So-And-So then introduced her to a colleague. Unfortunately, D2 was introduced as “Meet <d2’s name="">, she is a Princeton Historian.” “No! They think that I have a lot more credibility than I actually do. I’m not sure if they know I’m just an intern or someone who is supposed to know what she is doing. Dr. So-And-So gave me his card and wants me to attend a lecture that he and the colleague are giving at the Smithsonian. He also has a paper that he is going to email to me to proof-read before publication." :eek:</d2’s></p>

<p>G#, Forgive me on my belated “Happy Anniversary” wishes. I’m usually lurking when I read these things. Hope you had a terrific weekend at the beach. Your D2’s experience seems like a wonderful introduction to what happens IRL. See, all they “heard” was “D2 was introduced as “Meet <d2’s name=”">, she is a Princeton…" and they fill in whatever they want to hear with the rest.</d2’s></p>

<p>A late Happy Father’s day to all (& anniversary to G#)</p>

<p>Its been busy here, love the cats name esp the nickname</p>

<p>Kudos to all the caretakers, it truly is a labor of love with many challenges. My Dad is in this roll with my mom who has ALz and it is inspiring and heartbreaking at the same time.</p>

<p>DH had a quiet weekend alone, the best Father’s day gift for someone who loves his solitude while DS & GF, my sister & me spent a long weekend in Atlantic City and Philly( a great city!). We went to see the Tim Mc Graw & Kenny Chesney concert last night, what a great show. Only wish DD could have been with us but she had a fun weekend in Boston.</p>

<p>sending get well wishes to LB’s DH and all who need them.</p>

<p>Mommusic: My husband regularly gets our lawnmowers from a “used” lawnmower place. When one breaks he brings it in and if they can’t fix it he buys and new one and gives them the old one.</p>

<p>Good morning, coffee’s on. Not much happening here, but will try to post later.</p>

<p>Thanks - I can definitely use it this morning!</p>

<p>Good morning! After a week with S home, I woke up to an empty house and have to get used to it. Part of my brain still thinks he is here and I have to be quiet. Or make him breakfast!</p>

<p>good morning all…thanks for the coffee!!</p>

<p>hoping S2 survives his 3 exam day!</p>

<p>gsharp…wish i had cruise control…this tin box of a car doesnt have it</p>

<p>Good morning. :)</p>

<p>Belated happy Fathers Day to all of our dads here. </p>

<p>I hope Mr. Lima gets well soon. </p>

<p>Laf - have a great time on your cruise. </p>

<p>G# - Happy anniversary, and enjoy your vacation!</p>

<p>^^Guess I will just say ditto what DB said.
and Good Luck to P56’s S on his exams.</p>

<p>I’ve never had a speeding ticket. (knock on wood) BUT there have been several times I Should have gotten a ticket. I tend to have a lead foot. Our highways are pretty curvy, so can’t really safely use cruise control. Go like ****on the straight sways, slow down for the corner…</p>

<p>Ouch on the kidney stones. A few years ago I had them, ended up overnight in the hospital. vicadin was my friend, but made me vomit. just great! Never had anything so painful. I was on a health kick and was eating a lot of yogurt. My lab results came back as a calcium stone. considering I don’t drink milk…haven’t had yogurt since.</p>

<p>Hope everyone had a great Father’s Day! H liked his Keurig…I made iced sweet tea for myself in it. :slight_smile: We went to the movie “Rock of Ages”. We enjoyed it…lots of great 80’s music. I overheard an “old” balding guy tell his wife “I’ve got to get that soundtrack and I think I’m going to grow my hair out long again.” :slight_smile: Too funny. At times the audience would sing parts.</p>

<p>D15 and I had a successful shopping trip in Des Moines Saturday. We found some really cute outfits for the local pageant. This season’s prom dresses were all on sale…got a long one for $30 !! I love a good sale. Lot’s of “Buy one, get one half price sales” and I got an artificial bamboo tree for our breakfast room. it’s about 2 feet tall. had a nice birthday lunch at Red Lobster.</p>

<p>Today is my Birthday. :)</p>

<p>thinking about taking Fridays off for the rest of the summer. Who votes yes ?!</p>

<p>I really don’t like the auto spell, grammar corrections, etc on this iPad. I swear I try to capitalize stuff.</p>

<p>Hooray for good college grades! Always glad to hear that kind of college news !</p>

<p>Happy Birthday, Checkers! And I vote yes on Fridays off. Would you see if my boss would sign on for this?</p>

<p>Checkers I vote yes for Fridays off! I had Fridays off for 15 years and I hate that I gave it up.</p>

<p>Just popping in to say hello, and to wish Checkers a very Happy Birthday!! :)</p>

<p>I have Fridays off…it’s wonderful, even if I spend most of the day cleaning and doing errands- at least then I can relax a bit on the weekends! </p>

<p>We leave tomorrow for a quick getaway to the Lake George, NY area…just for 4 days before Ds start their camp counselor jobs next week…we’ve been there before and always find fun stuff to do and see :)</p>

<p>Happy Birthday, Checkers!</p>

<p>We had a great Father’s Day here. We used Skype successfully for the first time with Mr PMKjr and it was great to see him! Haven’t seen his face since March, so it was really a treat. And now we know how to Skype. Well, I can use it with some coaching on this end by Mr PMK!</p>

<p>I hope everyone’s summer is going well. Our exciting news is that my sister got a new puppy (a beagle) and so I’m an Aunt again! Boy, is the puppy ever cute.</p>