Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>Coming out of my cave to say HI!</p>

<p>12rmh18: Glad to hear that you are having fun with the nephews. I think I want to come and play at your house! ;)</p>

<p>GSharp: Loved the post.:D</p>

<p>Mdem: I hope the storm didn’t hit you too hard.</p>

<p>LIMom: Happy to hear that you are ok. </p>

<p>Checkers: Just saw the post about S10, poor baby! </p>

<p>S’s job on campus has been crazy. He’s worked 14 days in a row (this is the kid who has never had a job). Every day has been as least 8-10 hours! Yay for overtime.He did say that it should be less hours for the next 2 weeks. He’s trying to take all the hours that he can get because he said what if some weeks it’s only 30 hours of work. I love that he’s working hard , but I worry that he’s not eating. He’s only 5’3" and weighs 100 lbs soaking wet so he needs to eat! He might be able to come home the weekend of the 6th. The only problem is that my sister is having a huge BBQ and asked me to go down there to help out. It figures that I have nothing to do most weekends and the one weekend that I do might be the one that S2 can come home. Maybe I’ll be lucky and he will come home this weekend instead! </p>

<p>Could really use the PVC later this afternoon. </p>

<p>Back to my cave…</p>

<p>Good morning!</p>

<p>Checkers: OMG!!! How scary!! Has he had that reaction before? </p>

<p>S3 started his sailing instructor job today. Last night he told me there will be a few kids with Autism in his group. And one who is super allergic to peanuts.</p>

<p>D1 started her Masters Program today. She was nervous. </p>

<p>I am on day one of my “stay cation”. Today’s events included a mammogram and a tortuous trip to the dermatologist (growing up by the beach and playing tennis all my life has not been kind to my skin, so I have to go every 6 months to get my precancerous spots frozen off, which hurts like a @$#%!! ). That should be it for the painful stuff. </p>

<p>Have a great day!</p>

<p>I get to ditto PNJMom for a great recap. Pointing the PVC with double positivity in your direction.</p>

<p>Checkers: please watch your DS carefully. My sister suddenly developed a life-threatening allergy to bee stings after a similar reaction last summer. She never had a reaction to bee stings before. Now she must carry 2 epi-pens with her wherever she goes. (Each epi-pen dose lasts ~15 minutes). She is an equestrienne & spends a lot of time in the barns, so she is constantly around wasps & yellow jackets, which is a problem.</p>

<p>mdem: I hope your foot is healing & that the Sunshine State finally lives up to its name. I waved at Frederick while taking my nephews back.</p>

<p>LIMOM: It sounded like a scary accident. I’m glad you are OK. </p>

<p>GSharp: Loved your earlier post. Your D2 is a real sweetheart to include her roommate. You & your DW definately did something right.</p>

<p>My nephews are back home. We had a blast for 3.5 days. I enjoyed exploring DC through their eyes. After hearing all the stories of how we corrupted them, my brother probably won’t let them visit me again. :D</p>

<p>Checkers : Your S seems to attract the many legged creatures. Hope he is doing better. Getting stung by a bee is never fun.</p>

<p>The weather seems to have calmed a bit but we are getting more tonight/tomorrow. Looks like the storm is going either out toward the ocean or up the coast. </p>

<p>Kind of in a bad mood today when my professor didn’t show up to our class today. We were supposed to have a review for our midterm. Grr.</p>

<p>Just dropping by to say hi from a college visit. Remember those? I think we have a confirmed safety!!!</p>

<p>Checkers, your poor ds! How scary.</p>

<p>PNJ, yea for hours! And 12, yea for nephews!</p>

<p>Mdem, boo for AWOL profs.</p>

<p>Tx5, this sounds like a productive, yet painful, staycay!</p>

<p>102 degrees today! Whose ready for me to come live with them in a cooler climate???</p>

<p>pmK - It’s hot here too… but you can share our AC if needed :wink: On Saturday it was the hottest day ever for the day in our town, 103 degrees beating out 100 degrees on 6/23/1927. Luckily it is not humid in CO. Our 1998 Audi didn’t like it - it sent out shriek warning alarms, but alas the display area is dead so we are not sure why it shrieked. (DH hooked it up later for analysis, and no error codes were saved). We assumed overtemp and turned off the AC. </p>

<p>Yay for the hard workers. Sorry about the over-working and the bummer bee sting.</p>

<p>wow checkers…scary… maybe check with your doctor as to whether he should carry an epi-pen from now on.</p>

<p>dmitri kitty gave S2 a scare last night…they thought he got out…up and down the street knocking on doors… turned out he was asleep under something and they didnt see him!!</p>

<p>That darn cat :wink: </p>

<p>Tonight’s news said that we had 105 degrees today, hottest recorded temp in Denver ever. It turns out there have only been 75 days over 100 degrees since 1878, so we are pretty lucky. This week will only be the 2nd time for 5 days 100+ in a row. So compared to TX, we have nothing to complain about.</p>

<p>Checkers, yikes! Perhaps a visit to the doctor is in order to see what to do about the lingering effects?</p>

<p>I’m getting irritated with D. She talked me into taking her to the outlet mall to buy a little purse. It’s a very useful item, but I had put a price limit on what I could give her toward it, and it was about twice what I thought we should have to pay. Turns out she was determined to have a particular designer and she spent over 3 times what I was giving her! For a girl who isn’t earning as much as she hoped to this summer, and who is constantly complaining that she needs more money, I think spending her money to buy this purse was ridiculous. To top it off, the painters finally finished and she has not lifted a single finger to help put the house back together - not even in HER room! And she’s leaving for a sorority conference at 4 am Wednesday, but she has done nothing about packing, printing itinerary, etc. She just wants to “chill” on the couch with stupid reality TV shows and Facebook. How did I raise such a spoiled brat??? :mad: I’m going to take the rest of her crap that’s in the guest room and throw it on her bed so that she has to move it when she gets home from the conference at 1 am on Monday morning. She keeps saying she’ll do it “later”… well, 1 am Monday will be later!</p>

<p>Thankfully I had a client offer to stop by the house to go over some drawings so I was able to tell S2 in no uncertain terms that all the stuff in the living room had to disappear. He’s going back to Tufts for his job tomorrow, so this a good thing. There’s only one extra piece of furniture (of his) in the dining room now, but I might reorganize the basement before dealing with it.)</p>

<p>LIMomof2, glad you are okay. I’ve seen people do that maneuver, but thankfully well in front of me. They are idiots. I hope they know that now. Checkers hope your son is better, and I agree that he should ask about whether having epi-pens on hand would be a good idea.</p>

<p>Laf - I’m glad you limited your contribution to the purse. (What’s it like to have a daughter that wears dresses and carries a purse? It won’t happen for me untill DD graduates and no longer has the backpack attached to her shoulder. Didn’t realize it’s saving us money). Yea, kids can be lazy during breaks. Drives me nuts too, but I know they work hard during the school year.</p>

<p>good morning all!! coffee is ready!</p>

<p>wish there was a “un-lazy” pill for kids!! S3 does nothing but play video games, S2 now has hives to prevent yard work.</p>

<p>Good morning iPeeps! Thanks for the coffee, P56. There’s also a Pepsi waiting for Checkers. :)</p>

<p>Laf: I often lament the lack of female companionship in my house so I haven’t had to deal with anything like the Great Purse Folly. I’m sorry to hear that your DD is fouling the nest this summer. Vent away! </p>

<p>Sending cool breezes toward the iPeeps melting in the current heat wave & a life raft for mdem with all the rain from the tropical storm. There were some nasty storms down in the Richmond area last night, so I hope G#'s family is OK.</p>

<p>S2 is working hard: internship M-F, swim lessons 4 evenings/week, lifeguarding on weekends. This past weekend he also lifeguarded at a private pool party. A neighbor who was at the party told me that he had several legitimate “saves,” pulling kids out of the pool. One little girl didn’t even know how to swim, yet her parents let her float on a raft in the deep end of the pool. My neighbor was appalled at the number of parents who attended the party & neglected young children in the pool because “there was a lifeguard on duty.” S2 did his job, but that doesn’t excuse parental negligence. I am proud of S2.</p>

<p>Wow to parents not watching their kids in the pool! If they can’t swim, you watch them like a hawk. Just common sense! I once had to rescue my two year old son at a pool party. He sort of slipped from the really shallow area into the deeper area without realizing it. I was quite pregnant and wearing a dress, but I jumped right in and pulled him out. DH was taking his time getting his bathing suit on (and I had urged him to do it BEFORE our kids had the chance to get in and party with the other kids. He didn’t quite understand the urgency!) </p>

<p>Today is 3rd child’s birthday…24 years old and getting married in 6 months. I am getting old. Older.</p>

<p>Son’s music mashup came out great. He combined Lada Gaga, Smashing Pumpkins, and Adele plus some other instrumental I wasn’t familiar with.
Edit: The best part was “Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage.” “Rumor has it!” If you don’t know either of these songs don’t feel bad. </p>

<p>He says the dining hall is open in the summer from 7 to 8:30 for breakfast, so he can’t sleep in if he wants breakfast. :frowning: Not like at home where the kitchen is open 24/7, right?</p>

<p>Wishing better weather to those suffering with 100-plus degree weather or tropical monsoons!</p>

<p>Just popping in to say hello :slight_smile: We had a great 3 1/2 days in Lake George, NY last week- it was very hot but a good getaway. Now Ds have started their camp counselor jobs…woohoo for making some money!</p>

<p>The contractor is in our basement this week putting it back together after the water damage…I’m looking forward to having our house back in order soon! I’ve sorted through and throw out/ recycled a lot of stuff that we had stored down there, so there is an upside to all of this. </p>

<p>Stay cool everyone :)</p>

<p>Just stopping by for a quick hello, and wishing a :cool: day to everyone enduring the heat (and a dry day to Mdem and anyone else in the “drownpour” areas).</p>

<p>We had 2 tickets to last night’s Red Sox game, so gave them to our 2 kids. There was a 2 hour rain delay, and they came home around 12:30, but they had SO MUCH FUN even in the rain. I LOVED seeing the two of them so pumped about having done something together and having a lot of fun. Hooray. (Even makes up for the fact that we lost the game for this mom).</p>

<p>Do y’all remember the TV show Hotel, with Connie Selleca? I loved that show and always have loved hotels – the dark curtains, the little shampoos the ability to summon extra pillows, the cable TV. Well, here I sit, totally unmotivated to leave this room, even though I should either go on the dorm tour or at least stroll through the Bush presidential library. But it’s going to be 105 today, and I don’t want to leave.</p>

<p>Good morning! I hate to brag but we are having incredible weather this week in Southern California. After quite a few weeks of “June Gloom and May Gray”, we have sunny skies with a little breeze. </p>

<p>YDS: When my sister graduated college she wanted to be in “show business” and was an assistant on “Hotel”. I got to go to the set once. It was on the same set as Dynasty and so I got to see a little of that too. She grew tired of show business and is now a magazine editor/travel writer. </p>

<p>S3 says the first day of being a sailing instructor was hectic but fun. There are 24 kids in his class, all with their own boats. There are 4 instructors so that helps, but still chaotic. I am very proud of him.</p>

<p>S2 is helping out with the high school tennis camp. It is only 8 hours a week, but at least it is something.</p>

<p>D1 enjoyed her first day of school. It will go quickly since it is only 5 weeks. </p>

<p>Day 2 of my stay-cation. I got up at 6:30 to walk the dog and make sure S3 got up and out, and then went back to bed. Now I am off to brave a trip to Costco. </p>

<p>Have a great day!</p>

<p>oh let’s see, I didn’t do the 2 window thing and although I just read the last couple pages most of it has oozed out of my brain already…</p>

<p>:eek: on the bee sting
:smiley: on the safety to love
:rollseyes: on the purse. D2 is turning into somewhat of a miser which is pretty funny as she has more income than D1 and a lot more potential in the future. She judges D1 on number of shoes and wouldn’t pay a penny more over our laptop contribution.<br>
another :eek: on not watching kids in the pool, I shake my head at some people…
:frowning: for those not being good house guests while they are home</p>

<p>Glad the jobs are basically going well for people.</p>