Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>Hi to the iPeeps! I’m behind on this thread because I have been fully occupied with Operation Spoil Nephews. My nephews (9 & 11) have been visiting for several days. We went to the Spy Museum & I resisted temptation - and my 9-yr-old nephew’s entreaties - to buy a pair of metal handcuffs. We visited the monuments & several Smithsonian museums & I fed them ice cream. I took them to the pool & let them jump off the high dive for the first time. We sang “900 Bottles of Beer on the Wall,” inspired by a trip to COSTCO where the people in front of us in the checkout line bought 25 36-pack cases of Bud Lite (math problem). Then tonight we let them celebrate an early 4th of July with sparklers & a few minor burns. It’s been a rousing success - and my brother & SIL probably will never let their darling sons near my family again. :D</p>

<p>Wow - that sounds like such a fun time!</p>

<p>“jammin with laptops” is TIME-consuming, is what it is. S is spending many hours on this project, selecting music tracks, mixing, and fine-tuning everything. The program they are using, Audacity, is very cool as it transposes, changes tempo, and MANY other things…almost too many other things! </p>

<p>Fortunately, his other classes–online Music Appreciation & IRL Calc IV–are pretty easy so far. :)</p>

<p>Anyway, I took him back to campus last night and this morning I had the usual “Where is the Kid Down the Hall?” moment. Um, not in the house? :D</p>

<p>p56 - your last comment gave me a big chuckle when I started reading this morning!! So everyone gets coffee with a smile this morning.</p>

<p>12rmh18 - sounds like fun with the nephews.</p>

<p>Have a nice day!</p>

<p>thanks for the coffee alice…want some amish brownies or lemon bars with yours?</p>

<p>sounds like a fun time 12rmh</p>

<p>coming over for coffee! I’ll take an amish goodie, thanks! Glad you are ok LIMOM!</p>

<p>laptops- my D2 passed the marshmellow test, where her choice was in stock macbook with hard drive size A, or online order (which she won’t see till her next break weekend in two weeks) with bigger hard disk. Since we are paying it was just the immediate gratification or not. She is waiting :)</p>

<p>Also made some BBB progress. Taking her back to camp in an hour :frowning: The campers come today.</p>

<p>Skyped with D1 yesterday and got a virtual tour of her apartment, it is very nice! </p>

<p>:cool: :cool:</p>

<p>Limom…glad you are ok !</p>

<p>P56: Just saw the news about the storm shifting. They mentioned Gulf Shores :eek: Hope all is well. </p>

<p>Taking D15 to the lake today. Heat index of 105 expected. Think I’ll paint the porch a different day. We finished her bathroom yesterday with the zebra print border. It’s cute.</p>

<p>S10 is in his college town this weekend. He hadn’t been back to his apartment in 6 weeks. Everything checked out ok. :slight_smile: Two of the roommates remained for the summer, so you never know.</p>

<p>hi checkers! they have closed the beaches down there due to the rip tides </p>

<p>disgustingly hot here too!! went down to see S2…and the joys of an old house…the ac is not working!!! got some room air conditioners from lowes so at least they can sleep now… dont want to replace the system yet, as all the necessary things added up…foundation, plumbing, electrical and insulation.</p>

<p>have to chuckle at “kids now-a-days”… (right now they have an extra roommate for the summer)…friday they all were working or had classes…so around 4-5 they start wandering in… S2, gf, and 2 roomies… headed to what appeared to be “their” spot, each close to an outlet…out came the computers and cell phones… a few mumbled words intermittently…</p>

<p>Bump, we are at the bottom of the page</p>

<p>Just checking in.</p>

<p>My dad and I are off to our weekly family dinner at my aunt’s house. Everyone brings something and we always have a good time. Gives me a break from working on homework and whatnot. </p>

<p>Currently we are watching to see what Tropical Storm Debby does and where it is planning to go. It’s been raining all day here and doesn’t seem to want to stop anytime soon. </p>

<p>We’ve been here for almost three months and I’ve been confused about one thing: the title of this stupid state. It has been raining since we got here and no sign of the Sunshine State coming out anytime soon.</p>

<p>Liquid sunshine?</p>

<p>LOL just read a post on Facebook from a friend who is in Fla. complaining about the so-called Sunshine State! </p>

<p>Happy to be home and planning to put my feet up after helping to cater a wedding. Lovely couple who have known each other since nursery school…talk about the “girl next door.” :)</p>

<p>off topic…ok pinterest people…if i see something on a website that has the pinterest logo… and i click it… how do i get it onto one of my boards…where does it go on the pinterest site to find it again?</p>

<p>Yet again, G# is behind and too late for Amish goodies I suppose.</p>

<p>Lima - Sadly enough, it sounds like your dog is more human that BB1’s ex-boss.</p>

<p>

When I was traveling to Memphis every week, I got in the habit of always changing my watch either forward or back as soon as the plane took off. Don’t do it before the plane is in the air because they can always return to the gate at any time before that and you could be in a mess. Of course, you can always buy a watch that adjusts itself to the time zone based on GPS, but that takes all the fun out of it. ;)</p>

<p>

Don’t pretend that you haven’t already thought of every one of them. The difference is that you all have the class not to say them out loud and I am missing that particular “socially acceptable” filter. :wink: Actually, I had a lot of back pain last week, but I still wanted to run. So I concentrated on making up stupid threads to forget about how much pain I was in while I ran.</p>

<p>LIMOMOF2 – Glad that you are OK… just keep grinnin’</p>

<p>

My thought was something current, topical… a mix of “Bugler’s Dream” (aka Olympic Theme, Leo Arnaud) and “God Save the Queen” (Sex Pistols’ version). “Anarchy in the UK” would work too. Through the miracle of software, meter and pitch can be adjusted independently… I use Sony Acid to slow down songs without changing their pitch so that my talentless self can try to play along. If your S gets his homework done and wants to see some serious musicians, tell him to get to the Taft Theater Monday night for Dream Theater with King Crimson ProjeKct… G# will be there.</p>

<p>12rmh18 – If you would like a “niece” to spoil, I think I have a child near you who might volunteer. ;)</p>

<p>Speaking of whom, D2 gave me a “I thought I should let you know I’m still alive” call today. She said that work is still slow, so she is helping other interns. This week she is supposed to do some actual “exhibit work,” so she is excited even though she doesn’t know specifically what that means. So far, she has mostly done research and written fact sheets for tour guides. She has made a game out of seeing just how cheaply she can eat, but “splurges” on Whole Foods Indian food. She does know of a really nice restaurant that DW and I can take her to when we come up to visit. :rolleyes: This week’s activities included TV night with friends, National Portrait Gallery, Natural History Museum, meet George Will (and listen to his thoughts on the 2012 election… I bet that was interesting), attend the lecture at the Smithsonian to which a professor she was working with invited her, a National’s game with some guy from school (I’ll pretend I didn’t hear that ;)), church in Georgetown, and general walking around. She has many friends from school who are in DC with whom to do stuff as opposed to her roommate for the summer who is from Colorado and knows no one. D2 has been getting her roommate to do things with her and the roommate told her this week how much she appreciated D2 letting her hang around with her and her friends… maybe DW and I did something right after all. ;)</p>

<p>"maybe DW and I did something right after all. " - Yes indeed, G#. And being a good friend is one of the most important skills in life.</p>

<p>Morning, waiting for coffee … P56?</p>

<p>here it is!! good morning all!!</p>

<p>going to be about 98 degrees today! yuck!</p>

<p>Good morning all … P56 must be sleeping in so I will provide the coffee.</p>

<p>G# - Several years ago, I traveled to New Orleans on a mission trip to gut Katrina-raveged houses - on the way back, we all had our cell phones out to watch the time change as we crossed back into Eastern Standard Time.</p>

<p>Went on a college visit yesterday, sorta-kinda, when I took S2 to wrestling camp at West Liberty University outside of Wheeling, WV. It’s pretty isolated, in a very small town with one mom-and-pop convenience store and a small bar and grill. There’s also a Dominos Pizza which I’ve been told is one of the busiest in the entire state. I can’t say I was impressed with the dorm he was in, though. The elevator was out and I saw a lot of deferred maintenance issues, like missing tile in the bathroom and broken lights. OTOH, maybe they’re putting their money in academics where it belongs and not sweating the cosmetic stuff. Anyway, West Lib and WVU are the only public schools in the state with wrestling programs. WVU is D! and he’s not really interested in going there anyway. One private school is developing one but is D3 and doesn’t give athletic scholarships (not openly, anyway) and another private school is hyper-religious and he would probably be burned at the stake for being Catholic. So I’m kind of hoping he gets on West Lib’s radar and can get a little money. He’s sure as heck not going to get it for academics …</p>

<p>Whoops - well, at least we’ll have plenty of coffe today!</p>

<p>S10 was stung by a bee at work this morning. He got woozy, throat swelled shut, etc. They took him to the ambulance station for an IV & meds. :eek:</p>

<p>He went back to work :rolleyes: and just came home for lunch. he’s white as a sheet and black around his eyes - looks terrible !</p>

<p>D15 is at a basketball “shoot out” today & tomorrow about 2 hours away…they won their first game. it could be a rough season. Lost all our starters (seniors) and the coach left…expecting a bad season & got out while he had the chance. Seems like the new coach is doing just fine with this team so far :)</p>

<p>Could the refreshment contingent serve Pepsi in the mornings too ? I’m not a coffee drinker. :)</p>

<p>Thinking about taking d15 on a college visit sometime this summer. She is not excused from school to go on any visits until junior year, which I think is ridiculous.</p>