Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>I sure hope that DW remembers to pick me up from the airport. There’s a Nordstrom’s on the way, so I have a chance. ;)</p>

<p>Gotta start with congrats to Mrs. IL and IL (sorry we won’t cross paths in ATL tonight… we gotta do a better job of coordinating our schedules).</p>

<p>Lima – Very sorry to hear about BB1. I know that both of your frustration levels over other people’s insensitivity must be through the roof. Hopefully, this is the case of “another door opening” soon.</p>

<p>Checkers/DB – Happy Belated Birthday! FWIW, add my brother to the list of June 18th birthdays.</p>

<p>Happy Anniversary to the BU&BC’s!</p>

<p>LAF – Welcome back. I’m confused, do Pirates only have Glass Bottom’s at Sunset? ;)</p>

<p>

Works for me. I tend to take ½ day on Friday, but spend the other ½ traveling home, ergh! Maybe your boss will be on-board too and give you a nice belated birthday present. ;)</p>

<p>Kyparent – How close are you to Richmond, KY.? Unknown Hinson at the Jubilo Music and Arts festival.
[Jubilo</a> Music & Arts Festival - September 13-15, 2012 in Richmond, KY](<a href=“http://www.jubilofestival.com/news/]Jubilo”>http://www.jubilofestival.com/news/)</p>

<p>12rmh18 – Other than being a Virginian (whose tax $ are being wasted on this debacle), I don’t necessarily have any skin in the UVA game, but have still followed it tangentially. It seems to me that the real problem is how President Sullivan was ousted, i.e. the BOV’s process or lack thereof. I have not seen anything substantial as to whether or not it ultimately was the right or wrong decision. Regardless, I feel sorry for the students and parents who have somehow construed this into a reason to rue a decision to attend UVA. BTW, I’m sure that it isn’t the first time that TJ has rolled over in his grave… for many reasons. Hopefully, this is just an expensive blip on the radar.</p>

<p>Psychmomma – Don’t you just hate it when the planets don’t align?</p>

<p>Footballmom – Congrats and Whew! And I’m waiting for you to follow me!</p>

<p>ML – Enjoy Williamsburg. Better late than never.</p>

<p>ProundNJMom – One helping of “Good Thoughts” comin’ your way. How’s S2’s job going?</p>

<p>D2 is getting a real-world lesson that things don’t always move as quickly as at school. She keeps completing her work before they come up with the next task, so as she puts it “I am dying.” Her supervisor told her that she has some “crazy plans” for her, but hasn’t told her what those are yet. She has been helping other interns with their work just to stay busy. She did send me a paper that she wrote for the museum which I enjoyed on multiple levels. Firstly, I enjoyed the subject and writing. Secondly, I enjoyed her approach, which like everything else is very matter-of-fact. The subject is something that is a popular discussion topic these days, but D2 essentially says that any discussion is baseless and there are no facts and only misinformed myths about it. Knowing how her mind works, it was a nice way to say “You people are nuts. Why are you wasting your time on this?” Thirdly, it cracked me up that she had footnotes / comments on almost every sentence… you can take the kid out of school, but… ;)</p>

<p>OK, whose turn was it to keep me from looking at other threads and gettin’ all stirred up again this week? How in the world can someone be anti-Musical Theater? :confused: Here are a few of my favorite new threads in my world’s version of CC inspired by real-world CC posts. (I gotta stop running which is when these things pop into my head):</p>

<p>LOR sent on prison stationary – Will this affect my chances?
Is it wrong of me to be envious of my kid’s meal plan?
I promise not to let it happen again until next time.
Why can’t life ever be unfair in my favor?
Why can’t you spell “families” without “lies”?
Ummm, did you know that Notre Dame was in Indiana? There goes that trip to Paris.
While away at college, Mom insists that we dress alike everyday – Is this going too far? (Posted by Fred)
Uh Oh, this implies that I can read a campus map!
Dang, I can’t believe how old that vase was that I knocked over during the campus tour.
Does anyone know where I can find a well-intentioned post to completely twist out of context?
If I’m paying for his education, I get to pick his friends.
Does anyone else’s job make them “Exhaustipated”… too tired to give a sh<strong>?
Best way to ship a “really large cooler” to DS? – He says he can’t study without it.
Collegius Interruptus – New form of parents’ birth control brought on by kids calling home at incredibly inconvenient times.
DH and DS want to go to Hooters after move-in. Um, where am I supposed to eat?
Tell them, “Oh, he studies Medieval Invertebrate Quantum Neuro Musical Theatre,” that shuts them up.
Does anyone else enjoy using partial information to belittle people that they don’t know?
How dare DS’s roommate try to take up ½ the room?
Could making “Slim Fast” with Ben & Jerry’s be what is reducing its effectiveness? Which ice cream do you use?
Hey Parents! Need Advice – If I park the car just right, how long will it be until they notice?
Embarrassed during move-out by parents’ PDA (Public Display of Animosity)
Is not telling everything that you know necessarily lying?
Got the terms “square” and “bar” mixed up in the Exlax directions. I won’t be posting for a while.
I was accidentally rummaging through my child’s stuff and while reading her diary found this in an envelope marked “Do Not Open!” in the back of one of her drawers…
Halving trubble with foniks.
Could someone please start a really civilized thread so I have somewhere to post something really offensive?
S/he’s just like you!
And I want to go to a school that looks like Hogwarts why?
Scarred for life – I just saw my kid’s room on video Skype.
DS wants to know if I can put 12 grass skirts, 24 coconut halves, and some string in the cooler before mailing it?
Which is better for shipping – 24 coconut halves or 12 coconuts and a hack saw?
In which forum can I post fact based questions without fear of retribution?
Thread for the agnostic marginal “D” ambidextrous 9-toed student. No condescending posts from religious smart left/right-handed kids with the requisite number of digits please.
Is it me or can Godiva chocolate talk?
Almost to the end of my list, but only room for one more on the Application for ECs. Should I put the “Cured Cancer” or “Ended Famine”?
Looking for a college without an Honor Code.
DS only matriculated at Reed College because he thought it would be a good place to play saxophone and clarinet. What to do?
Oh, and he was doubly happy about being able to play oboe at Reed.
Should I question DD about a line on our bill… “Meal Plan: Shackin’ Up Buxx”?
The Official “Dead Horse” Thread – Just keep posting
Gotta run. DS (aka Mr. STEM) is being held at the airport by TSA for arguing about whether or not glass is a liquid.
Surely one’s major directly reflects his/her value as a human being.
I’m sorry, was there a “Consider Reality” box that I was supposed to check before my EFC was calculated?
Proposal to simplify “Chance” responses to “Anything’s Possible,” ”Yeah, right,” and “Not a Snowball’s”
New request – Will I also be able to ship a Moonwalk (deflated, of course) to DS along with the cooler, grass skirts, and coconuts?
I didn’t get the answer that I wanted on that other thread, so I’m starting a new one. Please validate my previous decision.
Humanities kid learns all about spatial geometry problems during move in – You can’t fit 10 lbs of sh</strong> in a 5 lb bag!</p>

<p>Thanks for the pitchforks all. Our dog was BB1’s best friend. She wanted so badly to comfort him that she whined at his bedroom door all last night. This morning, I found her asleep on a shirt he threw to her in the hall.</p>

<p>G#, where do you find these quotes???</p>

<p>you know how I posted to bump us up and then said I would catch up? I hope you weren’t holding your breath!!</p>

<p>What I have heard about boys going for Eagle was to finish it before the fumes hit. PERfumes and GAS fumes. I wonder if part of why so may more boys reach eagle (at least in our area) over gold is the parents pushing them along…</p>

<p>Looking forward to skyping with D this weekend and getting a virtual tour of her apartment. Still no job other than the lifeguarding, where she is getting 15-17 hrs/wk. At least it is enough, but it means she isn’t saving anything, she hopes to go abroad next summer and it would be good to have some cushion.</p>

<p>D2 is home after pre-camp until the campers arrive on Sunday. She says she loves being a counselor when there are no campers around :D</p>

<p>For all those in the middle of the NE heat wave, stay :cool: :cool:</p>

<p>Awww LB dogs truly are man’s best friend, so sorry your son was treated so poorly.</p>

<p>G# thanks for the laughs as always got my weekend off to a nice start</p>

<p>G#- wait, we’re NOT meeting tonight?? :eek:</p>

<p>Oh C#*^!! This is EST. Gotta run!</p>

<p>EST? Don’t you mean est? Do any of my fellow disco-children of the Me Decade remember that?</p>

<p>Showmom, we were docked at the Royal Naval Dockyard next to Somerset. Bermuda was lovely. Years ago I went to Bermuda as a member of my high school’s touring choir, we stayed at a youth hostel called Messina House in Sandy’s Parish, also at that end of the island. It was filthy, so we called it Mess-In-A-House. </p>

<p>Before we left for the cruise, we had arranged for painters to come in while we were gone and paint all of our woodwork and interior doors white (they’re currently stained a medium colonial color). We left for vacation with the house looking like we were moving - all the furniture in the middle of the floor in every room. We came home this afternoon to find the painters still have 2 more days of work to do. The only rooms that are done are the master BR and my S’s BR. We have no interior doors anywhere - including on any bathrooms - because they took them outside and sprayed them, and they’re in the garage drying. D just texted me, she’s an hour from here visiting her BF and wants to know if he can come and stay here tonight and sleep in the basement. Sure, if he doesn’t mind not having any privacy (we don’t even have window shades) AND no food (haven’t gotten to the grocery store yet) AND the painters will be here at 8 am tomorrow morning. </p>

<p>Guess I’ll go take my shower now before we have visitors and painters in the house… :p</p>

<p>I convinced H to let me tack up a sheet over one of the bathroom doors. I told him there were two reasons we needed to do that. Number one… and number two. <rimshot> :p</rimshot></p>

<p>Can’t take credit for that joke, stole it from our cruise director who was joshing about people who wanted to know if the toilets on the ship had salt water in them. (Who cares? As long as the toilets do their job…)</p>

<p>Thanks for the laughs, folks. Catching up this morning was fun!</p>

<p>DS is home for a bit! But DH is stuck in NYC. :frowning: Evidently they stopped flying planes for a while due to a fire in some control center in NJ (Huh?) Anyway, his flight was cancelled and the remaining planes were full. Since he’s flying back on Sunday night anyway, he opted to stay in NY and instead spend time with our son & DIL who live there . </p>

<p>So I picked up S after his evening class and brought him home for a 2nd dinner. Today we have to go get H’s car which is parked at the airport and doesn’t need to be there for ANOTHER week by itself. </p>

<p>And I got to help S with his Jammin with Laptops project. He has to do a mashup of instrumentals & vocals. I thought of so many pieces in the same key and meter I had trouble going to sleep. This is my brain on music: Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :D</p>

<p>Hi everyone!</p>

<p>IL, Happy to hear your W is a-ok!:heart:</p>

<p>Gsharp, Pure brilliance! Wasted on a CC thread but I am not complaining!</p>

<p>Limabeans, May the right door open up for your dear BB.:heart:</p>

<p>Glad to see that the PVC has evolved into a multi-use item!</p>

<p>Best wishes to all our summer vacationers…I can’t keep up with all the comings and goings. :)</p>

<p>LIMOM, Thank you for asking about D. She is at the midpoint of her intense language program and the group has been rewarded with a sight-seeing trip. Her favorite part was visiting the deer park in Nara. I now know that deer have fuzzy antlers (helpful in adding to my collection of useless information :rolleyes:). </p>

<p>Enjoy the day! :cool:</p>

<p>Have we “seen” ML lately?</p>

<p>Happy Saturday to all!</p>

<p>This weekend couldn’t get here soon enough for me, and I have a feeling it’s going to be over all too quickly! I really need a vacation!</p>

<p>I was involved in a little car accident on Wednesday morning. A minibus hit me while it was trying to make a right turn from the left lane. I was okay, but my poor car was not. It’s at the autobody shop now waiting to be repaired, and I have a feeling it’s going to be there for quite some time.:(</p>

<p>Psychmom - nice that your D has been able to do a little sightseeing while she’s in Asia. My D leaves for her study abroad next weekend. Funny to think your D’s program is halfway over, and my D’s program hasn’t even started. GSharp - :D</p>

<p>Laf - :eek: about the no doors on the bathrooms! So relieved to hear that your H agreed to curtains until the doors can be replaced.</p>

<p>LI - Glad you are safe!</p>

<p>^^^ Echoing what colorado_mom said!</p>

<p>LIMOM, Thank goodness you are okay and it’s just the car. {{{Hugs}}} Best wishes as you prepare for your D’s travel experience–remember, Skype is your best friend. These are incredible opportunites for our kids!</p>

<p>Glad you’re safe, LIMOM - cars can be replaced, people can’t. And weekends are always over too soon.</p>

<p>Glad LIMOM is safe - football mom is right on all counts above.</p>

<p>ML is on vacation, I’m sure she’ll reappear when she returns.</p>

<p>good afternoon all… sorry i missed coffee this am…was down visiting S2. met a student and mom, from cc…that was fun!!!</p>

<p>LI,o,…glad you are ok</p>

<p>chuckling away reading gsharps list :)</p>

<p>jammin with laptops sounds like fun!</p>

<p>mixed good thing/bad thing… on my way down, there is a sign for a bakery i see everytime but have never stopped, coming home today, i saw it was still open… oh my goodness it is an amish bakery…bought goodies…you would swear your mom made them…so gooooood! sooooo many calories</p>

<p>p56, but my mom isn’t Amish.</p>

<p>lol yds… put a little hat on her and we’ll fake it</p>