Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>Pvc is working, flight is now showing on time arrival</p>

<p>CD what a story! I can totally imagine my kid doing something similar. I’m totally paranoid about my passport and would never have put it anywhere but on my person. That said, I thought I lost my passport in Italy once because the hotel asked for it to write down info and I was supposed to retrieve it from them, but didn’t because I completely forgot they had it. Boy did I feel dumb when they gave it to me when I checked out. And cross since I wasted the better part of a day during the trip to get a new passport. </p>

<p>We had a good day - first half with a friend from grad school second half with a friend that we play games with - and also has a pool - very nice in this weather. There were two thunderstorms, but they don’t seem to have cooled things down at all.</p>

<p>D’s plane was a few minutes late but she made it to her connection just fine. She is boarding right now, should be at her final destination in about three hours</p>

<p>good morning all…coffee is ready!!</p>

<p>good news about connections munequita!</p>

<p>mathmom rain here didnt cool anything down here either…now more humidity as well as 100 degree days. yuck</p>

<p>Back to the coal mine today - thanks for the coffee, P56!</p>

<p>DW and I were invited to go out with the neighbors on their boat to watch fireworks on Lake Champlain last night. Unfortunately, a severe thunderstorm rolled in, knocking down trees, power lines etc - at the same time the boat lost power, just before we embarked. DW and I minimized our risk, ended up at home watching “A Capitol Forth” (again). Fireworks were rescheduled due to weather.</p>

<p>Munequita, safe travels for your DD.</p>

<p>Sorry about the weather P56, not fun. We get several 100+ degrees days but it’s usually not humid.</p>

<p>D just backlog using vonage (i hope it’s ok to say that here), she is safe at her final destination, it seems she got a bit lost on her walk from the bus station but not a problem. She could not talk much as she was letting other people user her internet connection, it seems the availability of wifi is limited. </p>

<p>Thanks for the pvc it worked again</p>

<p>good morning jbehlend!!</p>

<p>glad she arrived safely munequita!</p>

<p>not to worry about the weather … i have been sucked into pinterest…made a run to hobby lobby yesterday and have enough craft supplies to keep me indoors for a while ;)</p>

<p>D and her BF had briefly considered going to the Esplanade in Boston for the fireworks. Turns out folks had to evacuate there, too - first time ever. Thousands of people were told to go wait in the Storrow Drive tunnels. The storm dissipated so they returned just in time for the national broadcast on CBS to start. Fireworks went off but a bit late, and just as they started the sky opened up and it poured. Couldn’t really tell on the TV though.</p>

<p>S thought he would be able to see the NYC/Macy’s fireworks from his new apartment, 4 blocks from the Hudson. Turns out he’s a bit south of where they set up last of the 4 barges and there was a huge building between him and the fireworks. He could hear them and see flashes and reflections on other buildings, but couldn’t actually see them. :frowning: Next year he can walk the 4 blocks to the river and get a great view.</p>

<p>Back to work…</p>

<p>good morning all bracing for today’s heat. we’ve had over a week of 100+ degree days. Today is suppose to be 105. we have a lot of humidity too, one day our heat index was 116. SO glad we have air conditioning.</p>

<p>Our courthouse had its 100th birthday celebration yeterday. They had speakers & singers and a free BBQ. It was nice. In the evening we went to the city fireworks and watermelon. </p>

<p>It always seems like once the 4th is over that the summer is just gone. In 3 weeks we’ll make school clothes shopping trip. S will have a couple new roommates this year in his apartment. He’s added a vacuum and silverware to his list.</p>

<p>tomorrow will be my firt Friday off. :slight_smile: Hoping to paint the front porch this weekend.</p>

<p>Our fireworks were cancelled last night too due to a severe thunderstorm…they are rescheduled for tonight but I don’t know if we will go. Eldest D was home for 2 days so we were going to watch the fireworks with her last night… she had to go back to Hartford this morning so she won’t get to see any fireworks :(. It was great to have my 3 chicks under one roof again, if only for 48 hours :)</p>

<p>Hi. Long time no post. I missed you all. Glad to be back. </p>

<p>June was a blur and a roller coaster full of emotional fatigue. Well, actually it started on May 30 with niece’s suicide attempt. She’s getting better. And, the rest of our drama is settling down, too. But, geez. I feel like I didn’t even participate in my own life last month. I just watched it like a movie that was over before I knew it. </p>

<p>Now with the action behind us, I’m hoping to return to a routine. Of course, that includes keeping up with my CC peeps. :slight_smile: I intend to follow along a lot more now. </p>

<p>In our news, Son heads off to summer school on Sunday. 6 credits should be in the bag by Aug 11. D enrolled in her first semester classes and got everything she wanted! Hurray, something DID go right last month. </p>

<p>That’s it in a nutshell. Really, glad to be back.</p>

<p>S is halfway through summer quarter. Final project for Jammin with Laptops (it’s only a 1/2 term class) was today. He said his group got it together for a solid performance, which was amazing considering last night they were not organized at all! And he got 50 points out of 50 on his midterm project (a solo project) so he’ll probably have an A in that class.</p>

<p>Next week he starts Technical Writing (another 1/2 term). Ongoing are Calc IV and Music Appreciation, both going just fine. :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Summer school is certainly the QUICK way to earn 14 credit hours!</p>

<p>And this year was the first we missed the fireworks in like, forever. We were at the opening of the World Choir Games, and it was quite a show! And we did see fireworks here and there as we took the interstate home. We could identify 3 or 4 communities by the location of their fireworks. :)</p>

<p>S2 is also halfway through summer courses… ecology is finished (except to hand in the paper), genetics is finished,… continuing are physics and british literature and research. thought he had fall schedule figured out and registered for classes…but he may change some of them, not sure yet.</p>

<p>good to see you back on here DB!</p>

<p>checkers…you are going to paint in this heat??? i havent seen the outside since tuesday :)</p>

<p>waving to all.</p>

<p>DB - Welcome back ! </p>

<p>DD finishes her first summer course on Friday. I felt bad dragging her home (it’s only 20 miles), but she did want to do laundry so it was good for her too to be home a few hours. Plus she got a nice brunch out and steak dinner home.</p>

<p>DB, welcome back! We missed you.</p>

<p>We had a great 4th of July! We celebrated having our power restored, along with our nation’s independence. I’m not sure which is more important.:slight_smile: Geriatric Dog was quite mellow with her doggy downers when the boomers started - I could swear she smiled & winked at me. At a neighbor’s party, one of the moms kept flinging “snappers” at the college students’ feet, shouting, “Dance, kid, dance!” DH & another dad started an “arms race” of sorts, launching increasingly larger mortars, only to be answered by a another neighbor several doors down. They competed with each other to see who had the loudest boom & the largest explosion. We won. :D</p>

<p>Good morning, coffee’s on.</p>

<p>Welcome back, DB. Hope you can have a mellow summer from here on out.</p>

<p>We had a nice 4th with our neighbors, and D and I had a lovely shopping day yesterday - some togetherness and some more “mature” wardrobe items (i.e., other than T-shirt and jeans) for D. Shoes for both of us. All bargains. What more could you ask for?</p>

<p>I’m up early this morning to head off to my yoga retreat in Vermont. Really looking forward to it. I’ll probably be out of touch till Sunday night or Monday morning.</p>

<p>Namaste and stay cool :cool: to all.</p>

<p>Morning All. I thought I would be early enough to put the coffee on but Alice beat me!</p>

<p>Doing a drive by, getting ready to go down the shore for the last 3 days of my vacation. Hitting my sister’s beach club today, then going to other sisters to help cook for her annual summer bash. It’s a bunch of people that were all friends in high school. I think it’s great that they still stay in touch after 40 years. Too bad tomorrow the heat index is going to be between 105-110! :eek: Not looking forward to cooking in that! </p>

<p>TGIF! Have a fun and safe weekend!! :D</p>

<p>good morning all!! thanks for the coffee! </p>

<p>another hot day today!</p>

<p>Good morning and thanks for the coffee. :)</p>

<p>I enjoy reading about everyone’s July 4th celebrations. Ours was mellow, but nice. </p>

<p>Keep cool if you’re in the heat zone. (Which is just about everyone, I know.) </p>

<p>Have a great Friday and a wonderful weekend!</p>

<p>just popping in to say good morning. Welcome back DB and glad you survived June!</p>

<p>D2 is home this weekend and I hope she makes good progress on launch prep.</p>

<p>D1 got the first electric bill for her apartment. She said :eek: although it seemed reasonable to me. I don’t know what she was expecting. I don’t think she looked into what utilities would cost when her silly mother suggested it in the spring…</p>

<p>:cool: :cool:</p>