Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>Stopping by to say hi- all is well both on the family and college front. D did get a rather disturbing letter along with her FA letter. It said that her federal aid (including work study) was in jeopardy because she had insufficient progress towards graduatiion (must complete at least 67% of classes). She was in shock as all classwork had been turned in 6-7 weeks before. Turns out one professor (two classes- one of which was from the FALL) had not gotten around to the narrative grades as yet so gave her an incomplete. Another prof noted the coursework was turned in and would be graded “in due time”. Lisabeth’s very pleasant phone call with the academic dean resulted in the dean signing a letter that there was a plan in place to complete the classes (and that plan seems to consist of nagging the profs). So luckily all is well on the FA front. D is very happy as her work study money is used to cover her expenses and mom and dad were not going to make up for it if it went way.</p>

<p>So I think I’m in love. </p>

<p>Got a new bathroom scale last night. Stepped on it for the first time this morning and it says Errrr. OK I wake up slowly sometimes too. </p>

<p>Then I step on again. LO it says. Hey I like that - a scale that cheers me on. </p>

<p>Then I get on the third time and I’m three pounds lighter than yesterday. </p>

<p>So my question is - flowers or chocolates on our date tomorrow?</p>

<p>De-lurking to say Hi and to ask for the PVC again. D is on the housing waiting list and does not yet have anywhere to live this fall. They’ve started offering rooms to the waitlisters, but she still hasn’t heard anything yet :eek:. Hopefully she’ll be offered a room soon.</p>

<p>This is probably one for the get it off your chest thread, but seriously how rude can some people be. I had someone say to me “So your S is going to Tufts, does that bother your D since he certainly didn’t work hard in high school, he just happened to test well” :mad: Um yes he tested well, but he was also in the top 5% of his class.</p>

<p>I’m glad everyone enjoyed their 4th of July celebrations, ours was very low key.</p>

<p>Have a great weekend :)</p>

<p>kinder, that would have been scary! We’re still waiting on the revised FA for ds.</p>

<p>scu, does your scale have a brother?</p>

<p>PVC pointed toward momof2’s dd and the housing office. And pitchforks for the rude people. Why would someone say that, unless this was family? My dh’s family said rude college stuff about ds1 on a regular basis. lol</p>

<p>Good luck to momof2’s D! </p>

<p>And, thank goodness the FA issue is working out, kinder.</p>

<p>I’d love that scale, too, scu.</p>

<p>Good morning!!</p>

<p>SCU: I’d say that scale definitely deserves chocolates! </p>

<p>D1 and I took Henry to “Yappy Hour” last night at the Ritz Carlton. It was crazy and a lot of fun. A great place for people and dog watching. And Henry enjoyed seeing the other dogs and all the dog cookies. </p>

<p>I am up early watching Wimbledon. I am happy that Roger Federer won! I love him. Such a classy guy. </p>

<p>I printed out the Common Ap preview for S3 to look at. I am not sure I am ready for this process again! </p>

<p>TGIF!!</p>

<p>i want scales like that scualum!!</p>

<p>very scary kinderny! </p>

<p>pvc pointed at momom2’s D!!! and a batch of reverse pvc for rude people!</p>

<p>had hoped S2 might come home for a bit over this long weekend, but no word of that in his plans… poop… hmmm maybe i shouldnt have bought the washer and dryer for the house? :wink: good news on the house…rewiring is finished and inspection passed… scary part, melted wires found at meter!</p>

<p>SCU: May I weigh in on the scale discussion? :wink: I’d give it flowers.</p>

<p>Vacation, here I come!</p>

<p>Look, it’s Friday and I’m not posting from an airport. Worked from home this week! Highlights of the week…

  • Actually seeing my DW! :slight_smile:
  • Eating at home!
  • Sleeping in my bed!
  • Using adult sized soap and shampoo. Sorry YDS. :wink:
  • Heart-shaped muffins for breakfast! (not those lame round ones that they have at the hotel ;))<br>
  •        Oh, and I get to lick the bowl at home. :)
    
  • Coffee not made 5 gallons at a time.
  • All car service done (for now).
  • Being back in VA where clothes wash themselves and hang themselves up. :wink:
  • Yard cleaned up from multiple storms and mowed. :frowning:
  • Taken to dinner by my boss, since we never actually see each other. Ruth’s Chris, yum!
  • Won a battle with some sort of prehistoric, indestructible wasp. Thanks to “O” magazine! :wink:
  • Kayaking with DW, inc. remembering the SPF.
  • Upgraded my Linux distro and Eclipse. (Don’t ask)
  • “Enhanced” D2’s budget (OK, that doesn’t directly make my life any easier, but it made her :)).
    Yeah, all of these seem really boring, except when you don’t actually get to do them much. I am going to so miss being home next week.</p>

<p>Mommusic – Very sorry to hear about your friend’s son. What a tragedy!</p>

<p>Hero of the Week – CD, cuz’ she deserves it!</p>

<p>…followed closely by Munequita and her well connected D who has arrived.</p>

<p>DB – Good to see you back. Sorry you had a rough June. Don’t worry, we waited to do anything until you got back. :wink: OK, now the Summer of 2012 party for 2014 Parents can begin.</p>

<p>Footballmom – Glad that you didn’t lose power and got a snow day in July. We came through the storms relatively unscathed also and only lost power for maybe an hour total.</p>

<p>Checkers – I’m right there with you on fall charges. Made a payment already this week, ergh!</p>

<p>Jbehlend – Glad you made it out of Williamsburg safely… just in time to make 2 housing payments for the fall. Surely if my D can eat 6 meals a day, your S can live in 2 places at the same time. ;)</p>

<p>LAF – You are a much better person than I am for making it through “mandatory fun.” I am fairly sure that I would be a “former member of the LAF family” (their choice) after all that. If we included my whole family, we could still take the short bus (which would not be OK with D1 and D2 since they had to ride the short bus every day to HS ;))</p>

<p>LAF #2 – So, you have changed your name to Mrs. Google? :wink: D1 could commiserate with your D. The kids that she babysat once threw her shoes on the roof.</p>

<p>ProudNJMom – Yay for paychecks. Boo for creepy neighbors…. I sure am glad that none of my neighbors have one of those. :wink: Did S2 get to do anything for the filming of “Admission” w/ Tina Fey on campus this week?</p>

<p>Kinderny – Don’t you hate when what seems like the basics fall through the cracks?</p>

<p>Scualum – I’d love to help you with the scale date dilemma, but you know that you have scraped the bottom of the barrel if you ever take any kind of date advice from me. :wink: BTW, you can switch the scale to kg if you want to feel even better.</p>

<p>Momof2inma – I hope that your D gets off the housing wait list soon. Based solely on your quote, can I assume that you visited the “Home for Wayward Morons” this week? BTW, how is YDS’s DH’s family doing? ;)</p>

<p>P56 – Maybe you could go the food route to get S2 home? </p>

<p>12rmh18 – I’m sure that scualum appreciated you accelerating a mass of balance to such a weighty issue. :wink: Enjoy the vacation! We’ll still be here when you get back.</p>

<p>

New requirement for all students… Food Safety 101. :eek:</p>

<p>Re: 4th of July – We just went to a local fireworks display… very low-key. I think the D’s got a much better show in DC :wink: D1 went to a friend’s place that has a view of the Washington Monument. D2 went to a party at the Commerce Department (essentially across the street from the Washington Monument)… I hope the Civil Servants didn’t get too out of control. ;)</p>

<p>D2 is now glad that she did not get the South American internship for which she applied. The girl that got it is a friend of hers. She had her laptop stolen on the first day and is having a tough time making any friends… yuck! I’m just glad that D2 is not down there having eye problems. DC is bad enough. D2 did get to hear Dr./Gen. (ret.) David Petraeus (CIA Director) speak this week.</p>

<p>12rmh18, CD, et al. – Do you think you’ll have NoVa, DC put back together by this weekend? I called our hotel to be sure they had power because…</p>

<p>We are planning to go to DC this weekend to spend quality time with our poor, deprived, waif girls, or as they put it, “Will you feed me?” time :rolleyes: So, it is more like mama bird is bringing worms to her baby birds. We plan to visit the exhibit on which D2 has been working and, of course, feed them. D2 is probably going to come home next weekend to see her regular eye doctor on Monday morning before going back… the pink eye still hasn’t gone completely away, ergh! Also, an LDS friend of hers just got back from his 2-year missionary sabbatical from his college and they are having a “Welcome Home” party for him next weekend.</p>

<p>momof2–“just happens to test well???” Doesn’t that mean he’s pretty, um, smart? Yes, weird, rude, and uncalled for!</p>

<p>Welcome home, G#7!!! My DH had a couple of weeks like that–he ended up being gone for 2 1/2 weeks because of planes not flying (as well as other planned events). He didn’t see one of his Father’s Day cards that came the Monday after until about 2 weeks later! There’s no place like home. :)</p>

<p>Having so much fun with the World Choir Games in Cinti. It’s HOT HOT HOT but all the venues are air conditioned and even on the streets everyone is happy and friendly. It’s great to see the city looking so…cosmopolitan, with people from all over the world here. And I’ve heard some GREAT singing.</p>

<p>Darn - - five days too late, but Happy (belated) second Birthday to the ** Parents of the College Class of 2014 and Beyond ** thread, started back on 07-01-2010 at 07:26 AM :)</p>

<p>kinder - That’s unbelievable that profs can delay grades like that. Certainly the students don’t have such leeway.</p>

<p>" I don’t think she looked into what utilities would cost when her silly mother suggested it in the spring…" - LOL. Methinks that very little mom advise ever gets heard. </p>

<p>DS’s roomie’s mom was VERY direct with them (I heard it with my mom ears) explaining how they should fill out the pre-existing damage form. The May damage bill is not huge, $37.50 each for painting plus a carpet cleaning that they admit was needed. Still I was annoyed that DS did not take care of it immediately, after I clearly explained the we did NOT want to see that charge on the Fall bill. He is only redeemed by his backflips last weekend going to visit my dad (5 hours by car, 11 hours with his bike/train/megabus/train method).</p>

<p>SCU, new batteries for the scale, chocolate for you</p>

<p>Good morning! Coffee (don’t worry, DW made it), Pepsi, and heart-shaped muffins are ready as we head out the door to DC this morning. It promises to be a scorcher!</p>

<p>Thank you, GSharp. Heart shaped muffins are just my thing!:heart: </p>

<p>Stay cool, everyone :cool: :cool: :cool:</p>

<p>Just want to thank those of you who suggested my S take the college language placement test, even though he was reluctant to do so. (He has had a hard time with Spanish). He had the idea to go in a completely different direction and try Greek, which we all kind of agreed here would be a nutsy escapism move. But such is my S!:rolleyes: However, along the way, he decided to give the placement test a shot and started studying. He took the exam last night and placed out of an entire year! He cannot believe it!!! He still has to take one more year, but I feel relieved…and more importantly, I can tell he does as well.</p>

<p>Thanks for listening.</p>

<p>good morning…thanks for the coffee and muffins gsharp…have a great day in DC</p>

<p>woohoo for language placement psychmom!! that is a relief</p>

<p>jbehlend… 2 years!! wow it really has gone by quickly</p>

<p>Just stopping in to say Hi - thanks for the coffee and muffins. I’m swamped with work at the new job so my chances to check in are limited. </p>

<p>Psychmom - Kudos to your S on the language placement test. S1 took three years of Spanish in high school and refused to take a CLEP test or have anything to do with it in college. He insisted on German and it is the one class with which he has struggled. Two more semesters and he’ll be done with it, thank God!</p>

<p>Good morning!
Iced coffee for me–it’s supposed to be another day over 100 degrees. :eek:</p>

<p>JackieF, one of the things S really liked about his new apartment was that it included all utilities. The only thing he would have to pay for would be cable/broadband. Well he just found out FIOS (already installed in the building/apt) will be $90/month. He’s horrified. And his car insurance will be at least as expensive as when he was under our plan, even removing collision coverage. Such are the breaks for a 23 year old male who moves from the suburbs to an urban area. :rolleyes:</p>

<p>Nice quiet weekend here. We’re HOME and our house is in one piece. I’m happy :)</p>

<p>Good morning. :)</p>

<p>Congrats to psychmom’s S on the language placement test. </p>

<p>Have fun in DC, G#. </p>

<p>I walked Batman at 8:00 am. It was already too hot. We had to cut it short because it wasn’t really a walk. It was more like a drag-the-dog-from-shady-spot-to-shady-spot workout. :p</p>