<p>DB: </p>
<p>Sounds like Batman is on the smart end of the leash!!!</p>
<p>DB: </p>
<p>Sounds like Batman is on the smart end of the leash!!!</p>
<p>Happy Saturday morning, iPeeps!</p>
<p>I’m excited because we’re all having dinner together tonight. For most of the week, ds1 has been house-sitting for friends about a half-hour away, and tonight ds2 starts house-sitting for some other friends not far away. We all agreed to get together tonight. This is what it’ll be like if both boys move back here after college, I imagine. :)</p>
<p>Thanks for the muffins. G#! A week from today, ds2 will be in DC.</p>
<p>psychmom, congrats on the test!</p>
<p>Laf, that’s a bummer. What an education for a young adult.</p>
<p>DB, forgot to say earlier that I’m glad you and Batman are back. :)</p>
<p>Good morning!</p>
<p>DB: Henry and Batman are very similar, he absolutely wilts in the heat.</p>
<p>Languages: S2 didn’t think he could pass the language exam, and then they changed it to an oral exam so he really knew he couldn’t pass. So he was debating doing Spanish over, taking Greek, but then he decided to take sign language. He starts this Fall. Should be interesting.</p>
<p>Psychmom - Congrats to your S! I had a feeling something like that would happen!
</p>
<p>GSharp - thank you for the heart shaped muffins. I’ll save mine for tonight’s dessert since I’m checking in so late today.</p>
<p>Enjoy your time in DC with your Ds.</p>
<p>tx5athome - good luck to your S2.</p>
<p>Laf - nice that your S doesn’t have to pay gas or electric bills. Tell your S that our FIOS bill is more than double his, so if that covers his phone, tv, and internet, then he is getting a bargain. We have a pretty basic package here - no HBO or other movie packages.</p>
<p>footballmom - good luck to your S with his German classes. </p>
<p>A nice quiet Saturday here. Lots of errands taken care of early this morning before the heat set in, and spent the afternoon watching movies with S - until he abandoned me to be with his friends. Sigh…</p>
<p>Bumping us up from p2.</p>
<p>Wow - everyone must be sleeping in today. Anyway, the coffee’s on, and happy Sunday. Try to stay cool and for those of you still without power - hang in there!</p>
<p>good morning all… thanks for the coffee footballmom…how is the new job going??</p>
<p>Good morning. :)</p>
<p>Son departed for summer school at 8:04 am. With no stops, he should reach campus at 3:04. Of course, he’ll need to stop.
Which means I’ll be a Nervous Nelly until we hear from him. He’s never driven this far alone. Plenty of long trips with carmates. Just never alone. And in a 14-yo car that guzzles oil like it’s goin’ outta style.
This is why I have wrinkles.</p>
<p>Wow that’s a long drive. I did not have any gray hair until D started driving!</p>
<p>Have a great Sunday everybody</p>
<p>safe travels to your son DB!! </p>
<p>still have one to start driving (think i’m glad he isnt) pain to drive him everywhere though</p>
<p>asking for pvc this week for S1…having surgery</p>
<p>Sending PVC your S’s way, P56. </p>
<p>Stay cool, mommusic. </p>
<p>I know is shouldn’t complain but it’s been overcast and dreary here in my neck of the woods. We were in NYC just last week where it was in the 90’s. Hot and humid but
invigorating! Now that I’m home, I just want to hibernate.</p>
<p>BTW, jbehlend - I did get the info and forwarded the info to my D who was off shopping with her 2 friends. They did go to a Levi’s store but were too shy to ask for your S or his GF by name. Oh brother, and I’m sending her off to college this fall? Hopefully, one of them was there last Monday and got the sales!</p>
<p>Good morning!</p>
<p>PVC to P56! </p>
<p>Good news, S2 in addition to the 2 part-time tennis clinic gigs, he is picking up hours working at the front desk in the clubhouse. So it will be a productive summer after all. D1 is busy writing papers. S3 has been running pretty wild his first two weeks of summer, but I think I will need to pull the reins in a bit. </p>
<p>I am watching Wimbledon. It is currently a rain delay. We are rioting for Federer!</p>
<p>DB - Safe travels to your DS. Ah, if only worrying about kids driving burned calories - I’d probably be a size 6 ;)</p>
<p>Update from abroad: The phone that D was using to keep in touch and post pictures stopped charging suddenly. Time to switch to iPod for communication (both using wireless connections)</p>
<p>I’m really far behind but wishing everyone a cooler week ahead.</p>
<p>We had D’s HS Grad party yesterday. This morning S said, “Aren’t you glad the party’s over? Now all that work getting ready is finally done.” I told him no - I’m one of those people who enjoy the trip as much as the destination. The next summer thing to look “forward” to is taking D to school mid August -and I’m already starting the teary stuff when I imagine her leaving. </p>
<p>The party was really nice - about 50 people for 8 hours. The poor air conditioning could barely keep up it was so hot. My brother made a grad video for D and it was a real tear jerker. When you see all the different ages and stages the kids have been through in 18 years you realize how fast time really goes by.</p>
<p>tx5athome–are you “rioting” for Federer or “rooting” for Federer? Hard to believe one little vowel could make such a difference! :D</p>
<p>DB–hope your son has arrived safely and you don’t have too many more grey hairs.</p>
<p>S reports he’s learning about different types of jazz in Music Appreciation. Not something he would have explored on his own…let’s hear it for a college education! ;)</p>
<p>I’m getting ready to work on the invitations for my father’s 90th birthday party. I’ll do it all on the computer & print on fancy paper. Haha He thought I was going to fill in 100 or so invitation cards by hand. He was amazed when I easily googled the party location to find the address. </p>
<p>It’s a new world…:)</p>
<p>It was nice while it lasted, but I am back on the road again. Posting from ATL. I am going to miss DW very much this week
I guess its back to round muffins for me. ;)</p>
<p>If any of you are the woman and her D that sat across from me on the plane tonight, I apologize for all of the things that I thought and said under my breath about you. ;)</p>
<p>Psychmom Congrats to El S1! After this past semester, D2 would encourage him to stay away from Spanish Poetry. ;)</p>
<p>DB I hope your S arrives safe and sound!</p>
<p>Mommusic I was planning on participating in the World Choir Games with some friends from work, but we couldnt find the Middle-Aged Guys with No Ability to Carry a Tune Division.
Glad to hear the S2 is Be-Bopping along (sorry, I couldnt resist). ;)</p>
<p>Scualum May I borrow your scale I ate a Peanut Butter and Bacon Burger in DC (Teds Bulletin for those in the area) this weekend. Why? Because it was there. ;)</p>
<p>We had a good visit with the Ds this weekend, but someone pushed the thermostat up a little too far in DC.
Mission accomplished
the baby birds have been duly fed by mama and papa bird. Saturday afternoon was lunch and the personalized tour of the exhibit on which D2 has worked, but she forgot her badge that would let us in to see where she actually works. Saturday night, we headed to Georgetown for yet another nice meal and a quick walk around the campus (inc. the Exorcist stairs
I fully expect to be served with divorce papers when I get home for convincing DW climb those stairs in the DC 100+ degree heat ;)). D2 really likes DC and the GT campus, so it is on her potential grad school list enough for her to buy a t-shirt. D2 stayed at the hotel with us Saturday night. D1 walked over Sunday morning. We all had breakfast and then an abbreviated tour of Arlington Cemetery as it was extremely hot. We then took D2 grocery shopping (a highlight for her, Im sure ;)) and dropped her back off at her summer residence.</p>
<p>Advanced apologies to our Boston contingent as D1 will be in your city later this week. D1 is traveling with her boss which D1 likes because she (the boss) likes to stay in really nice hotels.</p>
<p>On the semi-college front, the word from D2 is that Gen. Petraeus was very personable, but had several interns nodding off while speaking. Friday night, D2s boss invited her to attend a lecture. It included a reception and dinner with the speaker afterward, so how could she refuse
the food theme continues
The speaker is going to be giving a lecture at D2s school later this year, so she invited D2 and told her to bring a friend
OK, the subject is obtuse enough that there may not be anyone who is that good of a friend.
In the meantime, D2 is headed back to the DOJ this week to talk with the head of the department that she visited. She was taking this afternoon to prepare interview questions.</p>
<p>D2s internship is still going well, but she wishes she had more concrete work to do. Her supervisor is less organized, more big picture than some of the other interns supervisors, so D2 gets more ambiguous tasks. For example, other interns have very specific data to enter into spreadsheets while D2 gets a task of come up with ideas to promote the exhibit using materials from the exhibit. On the plus side, as part of this task, they have given her access to the rare books and materials collection including some of Columbuss manuscripts. :eek: (Please tell me that Im not fiscally responsible, right? ;)).</p>
<p>Gsharp–you & your friends could have entered the Barbershop Division. I don’t THINK it’s a requirement to sing tonal music. ;)</p>
<p>The Games have been so much fun, and so good for this city.
It’s hard for a city not on one of the coasts (and not Chicago) to be truly cosmopolitan. With all the visiting choirs from other continents, this is as good as it gets!</p>
<p>GSharp - That’s pretty cool about your D having access to those materials! Columbus’ manuscripts - very impressive!</p>
<p>My D also loves Georgetown, and when she contacted them to let them know she wouldn’t be attending, they sent her a note saying hopefully they’ll see her for grad school.
Oh, and we’ve also climbed those Exorcist steps in 100+ degree temps. Not fun. </p>
<p>Mommusic - it sounds like you’ve been having a fun time!</p>
<p>psychmomma - glad your D’s graduation party was a success!</p>
<p>We just skyped with D - it was so good to see her!</p>
<p>Coffee is on</p>