Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>Good morning and happy Monday. </p>

<p>Thanks for the coffee, Mune. I hope your D’s phone starts charging again, or if not, the ipod substitutes well.</p>

<p>Sending pvc to P56!</p>

<p>tx5 - nice summer work for your S! I rooted for Murray. :(</p>

<p>psychmomma - Sounds like a nice party. And, I get teary thinking ahead to August, too. :o</p>

<p>mommusic - glad the jazz class is a hit. And, enjoy your dad’s party planning. Like psychomomma, I think the getting-ready is almost as much fun as the event itself. </p>

<p>G# - Thanks for the great recap. And, sounds like a great time in DC, except for the heat. </p>

<p>The good news: Son made it to campus without any trouble.
The bad news: He left all his bedding at home. He went out an bought a pillow. That’s all he’ll have until we ship the mattress pad, sheets, and comforter. Goofball. :rolleyes:</p>

<p>thanks for the coffee munequita!</p>

<p>and thanks to all for the pvc for S1</p>

<p>Good morning everyone!</p>

<p>Sending :heart::heart::heart:’s to p56’s S, all parents with kids studying abroad, psychmomma (who is already thinking of August), mommusic (for planning a 90th party for her dad), DB (whose S is safe and sound minus bedding), GSharp (for missing W and heart-shaped muffins), and anyone I’ve missed!</p>

<p>OK, who says girls are more emotional than boys? My D is as cool as a cucumber in most situations, however, my S is starting to drive me crazy. He cannot possibly figure out his classes, he has no idea of a major-too many possibilities, the school has too many requirements, and on and on. Through most of this I have adopted a “smile and nod” attitude (any suggestion is met with a “you don’t get me” stare); however, the “I don’t know how I could possibly graduate in less than 10 years” comment made me want to throw something highly breakable.</p>

<p>happy Monday everyone ! MY 3 day weekend was wonderful. I could get use to having Fridays off. Another 4 day work week. :)</p>

<p>H birthday was Saturday. We had cake and homemade ice cream. yum !</p>

<p>yesterday, we finally had a break in the temperatures. we had over a week of 100+ temps…several days were 105-107. yesterday a breezy 84 :slight_smile: More of the same today & tomorrow. i plan to be outside a lot.</p>

<p>D15 and I went into the city for a scrapbook class yesterday at the Archivers store. It was fun and the album was really cute. H and S played in a golf tournament all day.</p>

<p>This is County Fair week for us! Should be fun…</p>

<p>It will be my turn to experience hot temps as D and I will be in the desert for a golf tournament. My MIL called yesterday with a weather forecast for the area. The highs will reach 110. Why the organizers choose that location every summer is beyond me. D and the other golfers have to endure 100+ temps for 4 days! I’m usually a spectator but not this time. I’m packing my scrapbook albums and catching up! But I may feel the need to follow her with a cooler of ice!</p>

<p>Good morning! Happy Monday! Or as my yoga instructor always says “fake it 'til you make it”</p>

<p>PVC to P56!!</p>

<p>Mommusic: Yes, I was “rooting” for Federer. I really shouldn’t type without my glasses on!!</p>

<p>Keep cool lilmom!! </p>

<p>No news here, I am back to work after 2 weeks off. In addition to a couple trips to the beach, tennis, yoga, and meeting friends for happy hour, I was very productive at home. I cleaned/organized both of my desks, the kitchen junk drawer, the boys room, my dresser and closet, the linen closet, the school supply cupboard and kind of made the garage bearable despite all the dorm moutains in there. Not exactly a tropical vacation, but it feels really good to be somewhat organized. </p>

<p>I came back to work to news of a 5% paycut (for 1 year in exchange for 8 hours off a month). I work for the State of California and that is their way of balancing the budget. I like the time off, and I am used to this sort of thing, so I am not that upset.</p>

<p>Tx5athome - “fake it til you make it” is a favorite saying of a mental golf coach D used to see. I wish I could internalize that because I’m at a crossroads with my belated spring cleaning. If i can just get moving like I’m cleaning, it may actually happen. After a two week vacation from cooking, cleaning, driving, etc, I came home with the need to declutter and reorganize my closet. So now I have 3 huge bags of clothes and shoes to donate. It was liberating but that’s where it has stopped!</p>

<p>Page two rescue</p>

<p>Oh Wow! My MIL gave us a really nice 25th anniversary present - a Kuerig coffee maker. Since H doesn’t drink coffee, I’ll assume it was a special gift for me - a thank you for putting up with her son for 25 years! LOL!! </p>

<p>I am really beginning to dislike D’s summer job. She works from 5-10 every weeknight except one, then works all day Sat. and Sun. I almost don’t see her at all during the week since I work all day and I barely see her on the weekends either. I just realized my 37 days till she leaves is more like 7 days since she isn’t putting in her notice at work till almost the last minute.</p>

<p>

I just started working for the State of West Virginia and we actually ended FY2012 with a surplus. The recession that knocked the rest of the country on its @$$ is pretty much standard operating procedure for us - when you start with nothing you have nothing to lose …</p>

<p>lilmom - Good job on the decluttering. That is inspirational! Our house needs spring cleaning. We settled for cleaning the glass dome on the DR chandelier. </p>

<p>psychmomma- I won’tget my college kid back til the end of the month. But some of the days together will be vacation, so we are hoping to get lots of time with him.</p>

<p>good morning all!! coffee is ready!</p>

<p>tx5athome–please stop reporting on your organizing successes…you’re making the rest of us look bad! I’d like to get a shelving system for the master bedroom closet. The only thing stopping me is the thought of organizing 18 years worth of detritus (and clothes.) :D</p>

<p>So glad the weather broke here. I actually opened the windows last night and enjoyed a cool breeze. :)</p>

<p>psychmom–my friend is worried cause her son just went for his college orientation (he stayed in the dorm, she didn’t) and 1)was late to the most important session 2)slept through the session on his major b/c he was probably up late the night before and 3)didn’t have a clue how to register for classes even though that had been explained in one of the sessions. She is past the “smile and nod” phase and is starting to pull out her hair.</p>

<p>P56, how is S1?</p>

<p>thanks for asking munequita… today is pre-op assessments …actual surgery thursday we think with possible 2nd on monday</p>

<p>Just stopping by to say hello and rescue us from page 2.</p>

<p>Things are quiet around here. Adding my good vibes to the PVC so they can be aimed at whoever needs them.</p>

<p>Happy Tuesday.</p>

<p>Good luck P56!</p>

<p>I had a church choir director who told us to “fake it till you make it.” She also said that the beginning and end of the song were the most important parts, because people would remember if you messed up in either of those spots. Most people won’t remember a minor mess-up in the middle of a song. Needless to say, it wasn’t a very good choir!</p>

<p>My computer at work has been giving me fits. It crashed and wouldn’t restore last week. After our IT guy spent 2 hours with it Monday morning it worked again. But today it started crashing again, and after my 8th re-boot the IT guy said, “Maybe we need to get you a new one…” :smiley: BTW, I’ve discovered the way to get IT’s attention. I used my Droid to take a picture of the Blue Screen of Death and emailed it to him. Then he knew I wasn’t crying wolf. </p>

<p>Quiet here. D has started making some decorations for her new off-campus apartment and making a list of things she needs to buy.</p>

<p>Currently wishing it was the fall already because this summer weather is way too gross. I only find it appropriate to go outside when it is past 6 o’clock.</p>

<p>My summer classes continue to go along swimmingly. Got my first grade of the summer semester - an A in my Humanities: 20th Century Cultural Perspectives class. My other 3 classes don’t end until mid-August so this was a good motivation to keep going.</p>

<p>woohoo for the A mdem… sure you will do well in the other 3 as well</p>

<p>agree about the hot weather…i hate feeling housebound</p>