Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>G#–I LOVE the band Over the Rhine! And I love the new Washington Park, and the shiny new parking garage under it. :)</p>

<p>Why don’t you tell the eye doc you have the secret to choosing the perfect college and will sell it to him for a good price. Barter works, too.</p>

<p>I wouldn’t say there was a consensus (re choir and chorus). Dictionary says they are the same, but everyone other than my sister-in-law (who I love dearly) and actually sings in a chorus, thinks that choir has religious overtones and chorus doesn’t. (Her singing group calls itself a chorus on their webpage, but uses latin or italian “Coro” in their title.) The issue was with liner notes that she was writing apparently.</p>

<p>Does anyone here watch Breaking Bad? The boys (BB1, BB2, and DH) were talking about it at dinner tonight with about the same enthusiasm I felt when Downtown Abbey was running. They were psyched. I thought they all but forgot about it until about 9:30 everyone moseyed back into the kitchen & family room. They knew it started at 10, but of course had to have snacks before, during, and after. I watched some of it but didn’t quite get it. I mean, why the cult-like enthusiasm? What am I missing?</p>

<p>G#, glad to know you shouldn’t go to grad school unless you get a fellowship. Now I know my kids shouldn’t bother considering that as a possibility.</p>

<p>Just realized BB2 will be graduating next year. Is it crazy to consider getting hotel/plane tickets this early or am I already too late?</p>

<p>good morning all!!! coffee, tea, pepsi ready!</p>

<p>one last shot of pvc please! 2nd surgery this morning for S1</p>

<p>Good luck p56!</p>

<p>Good luck to ds, p56! ~~~~~~ -----> PVC</p>

<p>Good morning, and happy Monday. </p>

<p>lima, I’ve never watched Breaking Bad, but I hear people rave about it continually. Around here, it’s been compared to The Wire…which is saying something in Baltimore. </p>

<p>Can I just join in the travel conversation by saying how relieved I am that S has a car this year and D will only be 40 miles away? Thank goodness the airfare expense and inconvenience is over. (I still predict that - with our luck - SWA will begin offering non-stop from BWI to Greensboro the day after S graduate. :wink: )</p>

<p>More positive vibes aimed at P56’s S1.</p>

<p>Lima - hotel, yes; plane tickets, no.</p>

<p>All quiet on our front. Visited my SIL who lives on a lake yesterday; D hadn’t seen her in way too long. Nice day. </p>

<p>Wishing everyone a good Monday.</p>

<p>Parent56, hope all goes smoothly w/S’s surgery</p>

<p>Good Morning! Happy Monday!</p>

<p>Breaking Bad: My step-sister is visiting my mom and wanted to come over and watch it. No one in our house watches it. Although we have a lot of series that we watch. We like a lot of Showtime shows (Shameless, Nurse Jackie, The Big C, Weeds, Dexter etc…) S2’s friend got him into Game of Thrones (?) and he is addicted. He has been watching on his computer. </p>

<p>No real college news. D1 has 2 more weeks of summer school. Lots of reading, writing and group projects. S2 spent the weekend with college friends (pool, hiking, beach). S3 is “team racing” (sailing) today. They don’t have enough “A” sailors in the program, so since he is young enough they are relieving him of instructor duties and having him race. Hopefully there is a lot of wind, because he is considerably heavier than the last time he sailed a sabot. </p>

<p>Good thoughts to P56’s son for his surgery.</p>

<p>Where did the summer go ? S10 will move back to college August 11. Classes begin the 20th. That only gives us 3 more weekends together. :frowning: College makes me sad. :rolleyes:</p>

<p>Another 100 degree day here. i love summer, but am looking forward to fall.</p>

<p>And with fall, comes football. :smiley: D15 got the game schedule ( she’s a cheerleader) for high school. I also see there are already 2 primetime ESPN2 games scheduled for Mizzou. There’s one plus to going to the SEC…tv coverage so WE can watch too. Bring it on !</p>

<p>P56: How’d the second surgery go ? Sending good vibes your way…</p>

<p>P56: Sending good thoughts and prayers for the surgery today!</p>

<p>page 2 rescue</p>

<p>thanks for all the pvc vibes and good thoughts…spoke with S1, seems the 2nd surgery was a little easier than the first…hates the tube and muscle spasm is really kicking up, but spoke to him and this time a lot less nausea. tomorrow the drain will come out, maybe repeat mri and aiming for friday to fly home</p>

<p>P56 – I logged on specifically to get an update on S1 and made it just in time. Hopefully all goes as planned and he gets home Friday!</p>

<p>Mommusic – You should definitely go to the “Over the Rhine” show next Sunday. :)</p>

<p>

Yeah, I should have tempered this with the disclaimer that it was “advice” from one individual and that I didn’t necessarily buy into all of it either. One also has to consider that the guy giving this advice was a Fulbright scholar, so maybe had a few more options than we mere mortals. Now get busy with those graduation plans for BB2!</p>

<p>Re: Breaking Bad – Can’t say that I have ever seen it.</p>

<p>Tx5 – I had a co-worker that used to crew on sailboat races. He always participated in the “Governor’s Cup” race from Annapolis to St. Mary’s College. He used to say, “Sailboat racing is all about seeing who can go slow the fastest.”</p>

<p>

We too have checked out the football schedule for D2 and they have 2 games that will be broadcast on “real” cable (ESPNU and NBC Sports Network is as close as we get), instead of the less than stellar Tiger TV coverage, so we can see them. We’re not sure how many games we will actually attend. Maybe this year she will remember to put us on the parent’s list for free tickets that she forgot to mention was available until the season was over last year when she asked, “Why are you paying for tickets?”. :rolleyes:</p>

<p>OK, the stress level is down. The news for D2 from the optometrist was good, I guess… he thinks maybe allergies, but is not sure. At least he didn’t see a need for her to go to an ophthalmologist this time. She just has to stay away from contacts and only wear her glasses for a week (much to her chagrin). We never know what a trip to the eye doctor will mean for D2, whew! Her train should be back in DC in a matter of minutes.</p>

<p>P56: I like hearing the good news: easier than the first, less nausea, and an end in sight. Why does he need to have a tube? What is draining? (blood I assume, but sounds like a lot if he needs a drain for that) Sure hope it has nothing to do with spinal fluid. I hate to hear he’s having muscle spasms. Ouch!</p>

<p>so glad the news was good for your D gsharp!!</p>

<p>i’m assuming the drain is for blood too lima, would not want any blood collecting around the spinal cord… shouldnt be spinal fluid as the dura should hopefully seal itself. didnt get a spinal headache with the first one, and so far none with the 2nd, They will take the drain out tomorrow…after the first surgery he definitely felt better with the drain out. All his staples will come out in 2 weeks. I told him staples are easy to take out, if they give him the staple remover, told him his wife could do it… he didnt like that idea, says he will find a doctor to do it once home.</p>

<p>Good morning! Happy Tuesday!</p>

<p>S says in Calc IV they’ve moved on to “triple integrals.” What this is I have no idea but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t understand it even if it were explained to me.</p>

<p>Anybody else have an allergy to sunscreen? I thought maybe the sun was making me itch, but it’s actually something in sunscreen. </p>

<p>And yes, where did the summer go? We’re planning our August travel (big road trip to see relatives & others in many states) and can’t believe it’s almost here. The World Choir Games sure kept 2 weeks in July interesting! The last choir got here late due to travel issues of some kind, coming from Indonesia and totally MISSED the competitions, but our city showed them a good time anyway. They did a concert in full native dress downtown on Fountain Square and at the end we were all dancing with them. In the heat. Good times.</p>

<p>P56, how is your son doing?</p>

<p>good morning all…coffee/tea/pepsi (why is it every time i type pepsi i run through pepsi pepsi pepsi, cheeseburger, cheeseburger) :slight_smile: that is when SNL was good!</p>

<p>he seemed in better spirits after the 2nd surgey vs the first munequita. drain out today which will make him happy (that seems to be the biggest problem he has) my DIL texted a pic of him in the recovery room so that was good to see him. </p>

<p>sounds like a great time mommusic!</p>