Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>Good morning and happy Saturday. </p>

<p>Wishing speedy recoveries to Showmom’s D and Laf. </p>

<p>Not much going on here. But, in college news, S asked if he could upgrade his dorm room to a single for the rest of summer school. The extra cost is $255. I said it was fine. But, if his summer GPA is less than 3.33, then he has to pay. He agreed. I think this will be a nice experiment.</p>

<p>Have a great weekend.</p>

<p>good morning all!! coffee is ready!</p>

<p>interrupting this thread to announce that D, aka, Hello Kitty Japan/China Girl, is COMING HOME TODAY!!!:heart::heart::heart:</p>

<p>please continue on!:)</p>

<p>Great psychmom! Enjoy</p>

<p>woohoo psychmom!!!</p>

<p>Great news, Psychmom! Hope your D had a wonderful time! </p>

<p>Showmom - have a great time in Las Vegas!</p>

<p>Btw, how’s your D holding up? Laf, how about you?</p>

<p>DB - I hope the experiment works! :)</p>

<p>GSharp - sending good luck wishes your way for Monday. Hope the eye doctor is able to help your D. And good luck making all those plans! I can’t even get D to commit to a move-in date - a problem for both H and I - since we’re the ones who may have to take a day off of work. I’ll be very impressed if you manage to make plans for fall break and Thanksgiving this far in advance.</p>

<p>Nothing too exciting planned for this weekend. I needed to bring my car back to the auto body shop - not sure if I mentioned the accident I had a few weeks ago where a mini-bus decided to make a right turn from the left lane and slammed into my car. I picked the car up on Monday, noticed a few problems and brought it back Tuesday afternoon. They fixed most of them, but they needed to order one part and that’s what I had taken care of this morning. I hope it’s all done now.</p>

<p>Also, an old friend just called and we made plans to get together next weekend. She’s so much better about keeping in touch with people than I am! During our relatively short conversation, she was able to fill me in on what several of our old friends are up to - these are people I haven’t seen since my late teens/early twenties!</p>

<p>Second page rescue</p>

<p>hope all goes well at the eye dr for your D gsharp</p>

<p>has been raining all day…humid and hot…yuck!</p>

<p>nothing exciting in college news</p>

<p>Hello all…I was busy for two days straight but thought I’d stop in.</p>

<p>G#–I found a category for you in the Choir Games. Musica Contemporanea. I had to listen to some very good choirs sing (mostly) very modern music all day Friday. You and your friends could have sung and my ears wouldn’t have bled any more than they already did. :eek: (Just to clarify–I have nothing against most intelligent music written in this century, just the kind that involves things the human voice wasn’t meant to do. Screeeching, screaming, and so forth. That’s all.)</p>

<p>Speaking of music, there must be a festival in the park about a mile from us, because there is loud rock 'n roll playing. It will probably continue until 11:00, which is about when I plan to go to bed. Timing is everything…</p>

<p>Psychmom, I missed that your daughter was a way. I hope she had a great time. We visited Japan when my 2014er was in 2nd grade and loved it. It’s a wonderful combination of modern technology and a society that is when you dig down, very very different from ours.</p>

<p>Happy Bastille Day everyone! We just got back from a party with plenty of vin, escargot and fromages!</p>

<p>I knew I could count on Gsharp for a recap!</p>

<p>Hope everyone’s enjoying a relaxing weekend. D and I just returned from a hot time in the desert. The high was 115 one day and it happened to be on the day of D’s practice round. D sneaked a picture of me with a wet towel on my head and I pleaded with her not to post it anywhere. If my friends got a hold of it, it would have gone viral for sure. :p<br>
The subsequent days were cooler but still too hot for me. I have a new respect for these golfers!</p>

<p>Good Morning! Coffee and tea are ready for the taking!</p>

<p>thanks for the coffee proudnj!! good morning all</p>

<p>Good morning! I can smell the coffee!</p>

<p>Son has reached the classical era in his online Music Appreciation class. He needed to explain how our synagogue choral music compares to church music, so I gave him a couple of ideas, in layman’s terms. It’s nice to be needed. :)</p>

<p>Yesterday H and I had some fun–we went on a rollercoaster as well as other rides…his company picnic was held at a not-large amusement park that has seen better days but is still fun. The carousel’s music box was broken so we had to sing ourselves as music is a large part of the experience IMO…Blue Danube & other appropriate favorites…loudly but tastefully, I hope. The older I get the less I care who’s listening. :D</p>

<p>Good morning. :)</p>

<p>Welcome home to psychmom’s D! </p>

<p>And, here’s hoping G#'s D get’s what she needs at the doctor. </p>

<p>Today Batman will teach my sister’s 9-week-old Australian Shepherd how to behave. Apparently, little Ezra needs lessons on “Don’t herd your master by nipping ankles” and “streets are no place for puppies.” Their new fence can’t come soon enough. :p</p>

<p>Have a great Sunday, everyone.</p>

<p>DB, my BIL and SIL have a labradoodle who is a few years old and she has “herded” the kids her whole life. They have to keep her inside when the boys (ages 10 & 12) play lacrosse in the backyard with their friends or she’ll nip at them. She also tries to herd them into a corner when they’re getting ready to leave the house to go to school. It’s too funny, except that she actually will nip.</p>

<p>LIMOMOf2, my eye is doing better, thanks for asking. I’m only the Pea Pirate once a day or so at this point. </p>

<p>In COLLEGE news, trying to figure out travel plans for fall. I THINK we have drop-off figured out, just need to ask my dad if perhaps he would enjoy driving 4 hours with his mini-van (sans seats) to help D get her stuff from the storage unit to her new apartment, and get the bed (queen) she bought from a friend from the friend’s former house to the apartment. She and her roommate still haven’t decided how/where to buy living room furniture and a kitchen set. The roommate’s Dad was going to give them some furniture, so they didn’t buy any when the seniors were selling it CHEAP last spring. Turns out roommate’s dad can’t work out the logistics, so now they’ll be paying retail. :mad:</p>

<p>D’s fall break happens to land on H’s 50th birthday, which I think means H’s parents and our S will be here for the weekend. At least I know I need to buy D a plane ticket. Thanksgiving gets trickier - we usually spend at least part of it in NJ with the in-laws, and S lives there now too. D’s BF is from NJ but is currently living/working in Boston. Long story short: I still don’t know whether to buy a plane ticket to Boston or just let her drive to NJ. (It would help if I had a crystal ball, when D left a “serious” BF in Boston freshman year they broke up by Halloween. But now she’s 2 years older and this is a different guy. :rolleyes:)</p>

<p>Good morning. Just thought I’d check in; thanks to the recappers I have some idea what’s going on. Not much is happening here. Kids sleeping late, watching the Tour de France on tape delays, and staying up late doing heaven knows what. Gotta love summer.</p>

<p>Laf - I have just begun thinking that I need to consider S’s plane tickets. Back to school in September, home for Thanksgiving . . . One of my nieces is getting married in Maine in October, and I have to figure out if one or both of my kids is planning to attend . . . Too much to think about on a lazy summer Sunday.</p>

<p>Have a good day, all.</p>

<p>All this talk of music reminds me of a recent heated argument we had in our family about whether there’s a difference between a chorus and a choir.</p>

<p>mathmom, what was the consensus?</p>

<p>Ds1 came over last night for dinner and a movie. I told him to bring his laundry and that I’d do it. Isn’t it funny the things you’ll do when you don’t see them everyday? He’s still got 10 days on the house-sitting gig.</p>

<p>He also ran around like a crazy person trying to get his student visa stuff pulled together. I told him it wouldn’t have been so expensive if he hadn’t waited until the last minute and had to pay the highest postage. :rolleyes:</p>

<p>He’s playing tons of ultimate, at least four days a week from what I can tell. He’s hoping to lose four more pounds before he goes abroad. I keep hinting/telling him that he needs new clothes. He looks dumpy in the old, bigger ones. I’m running out of kind ways to say, “Dude, you look dumpy!” Any ideas?</p>

<p>Meanwhile, ds2 is tooling around DC. Thanks to the FB page of the organization running the camp, I’ve seen photos! :)</p>

<p>Today, dh and I have spent hours helping his cousin with an RFP for her business. This is why I have no money; I give away all my skills and expertise. :frowning: She did feed us breakfast, however.</p>

<p>DB – I hope the experiment goes well. ;)</p>

<p>Psychmom – Welcome home to your D!</p>

<p>

Apparently lilmom isn’t a stickler for accuracy in her recaps. ;)</p>

<p>

I think I could handle that since those are things that one practices as a parent on a regular basis. In fact, I could probably do a duet with either of my D’s with DW providing backing vocals. ;)</p>

<p>

In case you are anywhere near Washington Park, one of my favorite bands, “Over the Rhine,” is playing there next Sunday (7/22) and the price is right… free. I highly recommend it. If my flight got in earlier, I’d be there. It will be a very low-key, not loud at all.</p>

<p>LIMOMOF2/LAF/Aliceinw – Move-in and fall break plans and flights have been completed. We didn’t quite get to Thanksgiving though. We need LAF’s crystal ball. D2 has a class until 5:00 on Wed., so that always leaves a mystery about whether or not we risk getting a ticket on the assumption that class will be canceled. Since it is only a couple of days, I suggested us going to NYC / Macy’s parade for the long weekend and have D2 just take the train into the city to meet us, but they aren’t too into that idea. :wink: </p>

<p>YDS – I thought of you when D2 was telling me about her week. She went to an alumni session with several current White House staffers (some senior) to learn about their experiences. Too bad she couldn’t have snuck your DS2 in as a fellow Tiger kid.</p>

<p>D2 went back to the DOJ this week and met with the PhD official whose job she thought was really interesting. He did not give her job specific advice, but more general advice:

  • Find something that you love and specialize in it.
  • The importance of writing skills is overrated these days. He lamented that so many people can’t write, but no one seems to care.
  • You won’t get “rich” as a PhD in the government, but you will be comfortable and can enjoy your work.
  • Based on her interests, he pointed her to the Congressional Research Service as a good place to work.
  • If you end up in a job that you don’t love, get out and find another one. (his example was his brother that wanted to be an Art History major, but went into Computer Science for the $ and now wishes that he had stayed with the Art History).
  • Make your Senior Thesis fun. (side note, he was an East Asian Studies major and did his thesis on “Nationalism in 1920’s Chinese Textbooks”, so “fun” can apparently be a relative term ;)).
  • Don’t go to grad school unless you get a Fellowship or the college pays you for it in some way.
  • You can get more funding pursuing a PhD than a JD as people assume that PhD’s will not make any money.
    D2’s observation of the majority of the alumni that she has met this summer is that they did not start out headed for their careers, they just ended up there. Case in point is the DOJ official who was an UG East Asian Studies major, but took up German history (in Germany) for graduate work which is what got him involved in investigating / prosecuting Holocaust cases.</p>

<p>D2 was home and took care of all the important stuff this weekend… hair appointment, welcome home party for her LDS friend, planning what to do when her internship ends, vacation planning (it would appear that one of her friends from school will be coming to the beach with us, so D2 won’t be stuck hanging out with the old folks), wondering in amazement at a full refrigerator ;), sleeping late, etc. I still found myself sitting up concerned about her driving at night. She is one who would be perfectly happy living somewhere that she would never need a car. She is already planning next summer, as she put it… “I’m thinking something international…” :rolleyes:</p>

<p>Thanx everyone for wishing D2 well tomorrow at the eye doctor. I’m borrowing the pvc. I hope it is nothing serious. She has had various eye “problems” all of her life and some kinda scary visits, so I’ll be a little stressed tonight and tomorrow! On a lighter note, our eye doctor has a couple of multi-million $ homes on the beach, some of which I’m sure we have funded. :wink: He and his wife, who works for him, have a daughter who is a few years younger than D2… funny they hit us up during appointments for college advice, like 2 D’s make us some kind of experts or something. :confused: Hmmm, maybe a barter system. ;)</p>