Parents of the HS class of 2010 - Original

<p>Wow! Thanks!!</p>

<p>But can you cancel a test (SATII) after you took it and are certain you bombed?</p>

<p>QM, yes, you can cancel. Here’s the link to the exact info from the CB web site. <a href=“http://professionals.collegeboard.com/testing/sat-reasoning/scores/cancel[/url]”>http://professionals.collegeboard.com/testing/sat-reasoning/scores/cancel&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>vp post 7191, that is an interesting idea. D did a math 1 practice just to get in the mood, and scored better than the math 2 test she took. Still got a good score on math 2 but not as high in a vacuum. Since she doesn’t necessarily need math 2 as she is not applying to UCs or Eng schools, I may suggest that if she doesn’t think she did well on math 2 she then opts to take math 1 instead of/in addition to history.</p>

<p>Why not take both Math1 and Math2 and cancel the one on which you do worse?</p>

<p>I think ** I ** am going to go crazy thinking of all the different strategies! Probably lucky she doesn’t listen to all of my crackpot ideas.</p>

<p>QM: You can only cancel the entire day’s scores- not one subject at a time. So if you take Math1 and Math2 on the same day, you keep them both or cancel them both.</p>

<p>Hi, I’m a new member still trying to figure out how to post a question.
My S will be a senior in high school. He has been doing well. Rank 1 in school. ACT 36, SAT 2390. SAT II Math 800. Took 8 AP classes so far. Will take SAT II US history and Chem this Saturday.
He volunteers in local hospitals. He won 1st place in State Math Competition. 1st place in State Science Olympiad. National Finalist in MTNA piano competition. Finalist in Chicago Symphony Orchestra Piano Concerto competition. He is also in school swim team. Scholastic bowl team, magazine editor.
Anyway, I know my family won’t qualify for any financial aids. And I understand the top Ivy schools won’t provide merit scholarships. I heard college like Uni of Chicago provide merit scholarship. I need to find out what are the other top schools provide merit scholarships. How does the student apply? Thanks!</p>

<p>KL-MOM - Wow ! - Congratulation - your S is a fantastic student! - He should certainly reach for the best schools!
My niece, (Class 2010) who is an outstanding student (especially in Science & Math & was a finalist in the Intel competition) and just received a Merit based schoarship offer from the Univ. of Rochester of $30,000 - Her family wil not qualify for any financial aid.
If you ‘Google’ it you should be able to find information.</p>

<p>welcome KL-MOM. You are correct that the Ivies do not award merit scholarships. Chicago does have a few for the very top kids, of which it seems your son is certainly a contender. </p>

<p>Dad II who sometimes posts on this thread has a son this year but I know he looked at some top merits for his older daughter. Perhaps he can share his experiences. You might also get better input posting a new main topic.</p>

<p>But we are glad to have you here and look forward to hearing more from you in the future!</p>

<p>Welcome KL-MOM. Your son is in a great position and sounds like he will be competitive for top merit scholarships. Look at Duke, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and Rice University. There is a “sticky” thread at the top of the parent’s forum about merit aid. I am also pasting the link below:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/52133-schools-known-good-merit-aid.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/52133-schools-known-good-merit-aid.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Thank you, vp. I did not realize that.</p>

<p>Thank you so much for the replies. I’ll certainly check the colleges Vicariousparent suggested and the scholarship Bubbe shared. Thanks again!</p>

<p>KL-MOM you might nevertheless want to look at some of the Ivy’s as their idea of need is pretty generous.</p>

<p>Jackief, He got a 790 on the CR - he said Lit was very similar to the literary passage sections except with poems added.</p>

<p>I think he ought to try Math 1 - he claims he’s forgotten too much. (This kid is getting an A in Calculus, but he does have a memory like a sieve for stuff that doesn’t interest him.) He’s got an SAT1 score that is decent in math (670) and got a 720 in bio, so I’m not sure the lack math will really hurt him. He has no intention of going into the sciences. He’ll probably submit all his scores - the 610 in Math 2 isn’t shameful. :)</p>

<p>Mathmom, that’s what my D also said. She did not even take a practice test before the real thing. It is a great subject test to take if you are good at critical reading.</p>

<p>KL-mom, University of Southern California (USC) is another merit aid school.
It might really appeal to a kid from Chicago :)</p>

<p>KL-mom:</p>

<p>Welcome.</p>

<p>I have some perspectives on USC since H is on math dept faculty there, so feel free to PM me.</p>

<p>Well, I thought DD’s schedule for next year was all buttoned up… but just got a call from her indicating that her AP Environmental Science class is over enrolled and that she did not get one of the slots. </p>

<p>Here is current set of classes:</p>

<p>AP English Lit
AP Gov
AP Stats
Photo 2 (Required for UC admissions)
Journalism
French at the local JC as they no longer offer French beyond French 3</p>

<p>So she is missing science. She has already had a year of Bio, Physics, and Chem. Joys of being in a small school means that she can’t take AP Bio, AP Physics or AP Chem as they are only offered once a day (1st period) and she has AP Gov (which is also only offered once a day) first period. </p>

<p>Options are 1) Simply skip science for this year or 2) drop Journalism and add AP Psych. or 3) Take regular government and add an AP Bio/Chem/Physics.</p>

<p>Do upper end schools look for 4 years of science or is three years enough? Would Psych be considered a science (I know - big stretch - but what is it?). Note that she is likely to major in English or something like that - not a math or science person. Ideal school might be something like Pomona, Scripps, etc.</p>

<p>scualum:</p>

<p>I see you’re not yet ready to jettison the idea of UCs. I wouldn’t either, until that “moment of truth or consequences” come May. </p>

<p>I believe most colleges consider psychology a “social science” unless it’s some special class that’s an interdisciplinary hybrid. (Things like this have changed a lot since I was a college student.) I suspect that a HS class in same would be more like a social science than a pure science, but freely admit I’ve never seen a sylllabus.</p>

<p>If her Journalism class is decent, she’ll probably pick up some good writing skills, which would seem to dovetail with the proposed English major so dropping that appears suboptimal.</p>

<p>Given her proposed major and the fact that she’s already covered three lab sciences (are they are regular or any honors levels thrown in the mix?), if she’s got some good subject test scores (which she’ll also need for the UCs) and a decent SAT math score, she’s probably okay.</p>

<p>You might want to pose the specific question on the Pomona/Scripps board and see what comes to the surface.</p>