Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

<p>I’ll join in.</p>

<p>My daughter is planning on taking all honors next year. She is a good student and will probably end up taking AP math and science courses. She is also an athlete and has a fairly demanding training schedule. We have not yet decided which meets she will compete in this summer so our travel plans are on hold. ECs will be anything that catches her fancy and that she has time for.</p>

<p>Bkbmom - I'm sure you deserve a break! You too, HiToWaMom. </p>

<p>In any case, I have a younger son and part of what prompted my question is that we were doing course selections for him at the same time. He is taking lower level classes compared to his brother, which is fine... But I asked him if he wanted to move up in anything and he said he didn't want to work too hard. </p>

<p>This didn't sit well with me but I don't want to force him to work hard. I would rather figure out how to make him want more for himself. At least in certain areas that he enjoys and is good at. Especially because he has a competitive and perfectionist streak. I don't know how he got to the point where he just says that he doesn't want to take hard classes. </p>

<p>I guess I will need to try to find someway to make learning more fun for him. It's quite a contrast from his older brother. </p>

<p>In any case good to meet you all!</p>

<p>The balance and timing of how much to push your kids and how much to let things go is very tough, isn't it?</p>

<p>What are your kids doing during the summer? </p>

<p>I work long hours, particularly in July and August, and while I'm OK with my son staying home alone for a few days or even a week, I'm hesitant to have him home every day for weeks at a time. </p>

<p>My son's first choice is to get a job, but around here that's hard at 14. We've also talked a volunteer job, summer camp, and summer school. I'm curious if other people have other more creative ideas.</p>

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>I have been coming here for years for college help with my now 22 y/o DD who just this morning packed up a Uhaul to move to New Orleans to start a nursing job Monday morning. Time surely does fly.</p>

<p>I begin the journey again with twin DD who will start HS in August. Our school offers an IB program but we will be declining, although they will do the first 2 years PEP portion. They currently play on a travel soccer team, school soccer, track and play piano. Grade-wise they make all A's but we ARE in MS ;) No Ivy League ambitions here, just hope to make good decisions on schools that will be a good fit academically and socially. </p>

<p>I look forward to following along on the journey with you all.</p>

<p>Curious -</p>

<p>I think those summer plans all seem like good ideas in general. And in terms of general categories, I honestly can't think of many more!</p>

<p>To be more specific, it might be good to have the summer plans relate to your son's interests? For example, if he loves animals, maybe try the animal shelter; if he's a good swimmer, maybe lifeguarding; sports, maybe a ref; etc.? If he's done a lot of residential or other camps before, many camps offer junior counselor jobs and I think 14 is old enough for those.</p>

<p>MI girl -</p>

<p>Wow, what a milestone for your family! Congratulations.</p>

<p>As for IB - what went into your decision about IB? Our school offers IB too... we don't have to make a decision yet and our guidance counselor told us it wasn't necessary when we asked if it made a difference with college applications.</p>

<p>Why would a student choose IB?</p>

<p>Hi everyone! I know a few on the 2013/2017 thread who also have 2017/2021 (oh my God 2021?!) kids. I have a D 2013- she applied to 6 schools ( 3 safety, 2 match, 1 reach- UNC OOS) and will happily attend her #1, UVA. We are in-state. She worked her tail off in HS. I have a 2014 son as well. We have toured three schools for him with two more on our agenda. All in-state. He doesn't have the work ethic of the oldest but is so easy-going and laid back. I know he will find the right fit. s17 is very bright- and if he likes the class and teacher, a remarkable student. If not, he's lazier. Typical boy maybe? He wants to play college soccer. At this point too soon to know what level. D3 should be possible, above that- well, time will tell. He debated all honors but I think has dropped to regular math now which is good- its his weak spot. German 2,PE, and guitar ( fine art requirement) will fill his schedule. All three are soccer players and all three will have playing as well as training/ coaching as major ECs. The boys will, I guess, have music too. Looking forward to getting to know you all through the next four years! The 2013 parents formed a private FB group where we are much more open about a year ago. The comrade rue and support from CC people is stunning to me.
Can I close with two lessons I learned? If there is a grade you're not happy with in 8th grade, which carries on to HS, make the kid repeat the class no matter what. S14 has an atrocious grade in algebra I. He knew the material- just didn't do homework. Yes I yelled and punished- now his HS GPA as a whole is lower than any year in high school on its own, and several tenths lower than it would be had we made him repeat it. It's a real concern now and may impact his ultimate results. See if 8th grade classes in traditional HS subjects carry over. I feel horrible that I didn't realize the impact.
Also. Create a file where you list EC and volunteer activities for your D or S. include dates, hours worked etc. so much easier than trying to remember it all down the line.
Finally- if your alma mater has a legacy counseling service, take your child there if possible. Even if they aren't interested in the school, it's a way to wake them up to what schools look for. Show them accepted grade/ test scores early on if the are naming schools they may like. Don't let them go on in the dark, is my point.</p>

<p>89wahoo-</p>

<p>That is some really good advice I'm sure we'll be glad to have when we're applying!</p>

<p>It's so helpful to get perspective from people who have been through this before.</p>

<p>@CuriousJane: Same here. My husband and I both work and I don't know how my D will be spending her summer. Even with camp, activities and travel, it will be only for 4 weeks or so. I don' want her to spend another 4 weeks sitting in front of TV.</p>

<p>Last summer, she took 8th grade math at summer school so she could take algebra in 8th grade. She is getting B in algebra now. I thought about making her repeat it in 9th grade but she ended up registering for geometry. After I read 89Wahoo's comment, I am freaking out. Should I have make her repeat algebra???</p>

<p>I would check first to see if 8th grade grades carry over to high school GPA. I am pretty sure ours don't. </p>

<p>Also, if your child is planning on science track, be sure they have a good grasp of algebra. They will need it for physics.</p>

<p>I wouldn't worry with a B. I'm letting S17 roll through with a B in German I. A C or below, no way. Devastates the GPA if you expect top schools for your kids.</p>

<p>Yes, 8th grade grades do carry over to high school GPA. I heard that the other day on information night. </p>

<p>Maybe I shouldn't worry about it. She is definitely NOT a science girl. She is very lopsided - very competent in English, Social Studies and Foreign language but average or sometimes gets frustrated in math and science. </p>

<p>She wants to aim high but not too high college wise. Gee, I don't want to be stressed out over her curriculum already!!! I just finished with my D1's process the other day!!!</p>

<p>HiToWa, </p>

<p>My kid is in the same boat, summer school last summer, Algebra in 8th. In his case he took a double period of Algebra this year and has gotten B's all 3 quarters, 2 of them by the skin of his teeth.</p>

<p>One thing I thought about is having him take Geometry in summer school. My major motivation would be the fact that summer school is a lot cheaper than camp, combined with the fact that he didn't complain about it last summer. However, another parent kind of talked me out of it. They told me that colleges expect 4 years of math in high school, and that if he gets 2 years ahead he'd be facing some very hard courses his junior and senior year. For a kid who is not stellar at math, and not planning a math related major or career (that's my kid, not speculating about yours), that can hurt them rather than help. If he stays on the track he's on now with Geometry in 9th, his choices for 12th would likely be IB Math Studies, Honors Calc, Calc AB or AP Stats, which are probably plenty of math. Does anyone know if that logic makes any sense at all? </p>

<p>Having him repeat Algebra 1 in summer isn't something I considered. That might be a better idea. Maybe we should think about that.</p>

<p>In our case, my son's Algebra 1 grade, and strangely his Advanced English 8 credit will appear on his HS transcript and be figured into his GPA, they'll be listed as classes he took in 9th, although I assume that colleges will figure it out. If he'd taken a world language in MS it would show up too.</p>

<p>Here I go again.... I have D1 (2012) a freshman and Twins D/S in the class of 2017. DI was uber academic/involved...the twins are definitely more laid back. Both will probably do honors Algebra 2 (Their school does Alg 1, Alg 2, Geometry, PreCalc.) regular English and one might do Honors Spanish 2. Our school doesn't use middle school grades for Algebra. No AP's until junior year.</p>

<p>Best of luck to all of you.</p>

<p>I'm in the same boat as 89wahoo (waving to 89!!) - just finished the process with our DD'13, who will be attending Belmont University in the fall. I joined the parent thread for her class just over a year ago after lurking about a year...a lot of help and a lot of great support from the group!</p>

<p>Our DD'17 is different than our DD'13...DD'17 intends to go into acting/film, I believe, which is an entirely different animal. I'm a little - no - A LOT scared about the prospect of auditions and lottery school type admission percentages. So, we will see.</p>

<p>DD'17 is taking a study skills and a math brush-up class, to make sure she's ready to go. The only honors class I think the kids can take freshman year is math...we will find out in July, based on entrance test results. She will also take a couple of the incoming freshmen sports camps, to see which sport she will try out for. She is anxiously awaiting which pays her high school will produce her freshmen year.</p>

<p>Looking forward to getting to know everyone and their kid(s)!</p>

<p>
[quote]
Seeing as how you have had other children go through this process - were they different in talent/ drive/ interests? I assume that there were such differences amongst your children - so then how did you approach parenting them differently? Did you ever have a child who was less motivated and if so, how did you try to encourage them to reach their full potential?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I have 3 kids and they are all very different from one another. However, we approach parenting them from the same philosophy. We believe in allowing our children to be who they want to be.</p>

<p>Hi our2!!! (waves)
Here we go-again!
Liking the re-take over the summer idea... A way to keep them busy. I wonder if German is offered that way?
Jane, that's a really valid concern about getting ahead in math and finding it less than delightful... Fun to be trying to guess what will be happening in 3-4 years huh?</p>

<p>I am not sure I am ready for this thread yet! Our youngest will be a freshman next year, DS17. Yikes! DD13 is graduating this year from high school and is deciding which school is for her at that moment. She applied to 8, was accepted at 5, waitlisted at 1, and redirected from 2 high reaches. DS12 (Really now DS2016) is a freshman at University of Miami. He applied to 8, accepted at 6 and redirected at 2 high reaches. Both DD13 and DS12 recieved generous merit aid. </p>

<p>DS17 may be our strongest math kid, we shall see. He is far more laid back, but we will have to wait and see how he does in HS. DS's schedule for next year is:</p>

<p>Honors English
Honors (pre-AP) World History
Honors Geometry
Honors Living Bio
Honors Chemistry
Spanish 2
Visual Basic I and 2
Gym </p>

<p>Good luck everyone!</p>