That’s the only way to consider OOS & privates, at least for us.
On my spreadsheet I have the COA, the merit $$ averages, the need $$ averages, the possible scholarships, the 25%-75% range of SAT/ACT scores, the avg. GPA – all of those plus some other factors combine to give me a label of “financial reach” and “academic reach,” or match, or safety, again, in both the financial and academic sense.
It’s rough at this point, especially considering we don’t have many of D’s stats to plug in.
But it’s head-clearing to be able to point to big swaths of colleges as complete fantasies, others as likelies, and so on.
When all is said and done, I envision applying to two or three safeties (under both categories), two or three matches and two or three reaches. I think that’s fair to her, and likely to give good results.
Our EFC is still completely unknown, as we have ugh factors like wildly gyrating self-employment, royalties, a share of an LLC etc. Probably full pay in-state for sure.
After this tax year I’ll be able to plug in our EFC and we’ll have a much clearer picture.
And I’m not averse to targeting a couple of high-end (financially speaking) institutions that might find D an asset. I’m not holding my breath and I’ve warned her she’ll likely end up in-state at a “lesser” college than most of her friends (her senior friends have been accepted to places like Brown, Emerson, Tufts, Vassar, which are so far out of our biosphere as to be on the moon).