Parents of the HS Class of 2022

My S22 got a post-grad job offer this morning! I am so excited for him. We thought the company that he had interviewed with was ghosting him. He had several rounds of what felt like really good interviews, but all before Thanksgiving, then silence since then. But an offer came this morning, so yay!

29 Likes

Congratulations!! That’s a long time to wait, but I guess that’s normal these days.

S22 is still working on getting a job…has some promising leads but nothing yet.

Yeah, we had assumed this opportunity was over, given the long time and no word. Maybe they took a lot of time off, maybe they extended the offer to other people first who turned them down, who knows. It would’ve been nice to hear before Christmas, given how much of his winter break he spent applying to jobs, but we’ll take what we can get!

I’m particularly happy because at only about 2 hours away, this is the closest to where I live of all the places that he was applying to, so maybe we’ll see him more than I was expecting next year!

7 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like

Congratulations!!! Great way to start the new year!

2 Likes

Fantastic! Congratulations! Phew, what a relief in this market. Hope it turns out to be a great thing!

2 Likes

That’s terrific!

1 Like

Congratulations! Fantastic news! And the cherry on top being so close to you!

2 Likes

My S22 has been interviewing with a communications advisory firm and had a final round of in-person meetings yesterday. We asked him on the family text chat how it went, and he said he’d just finished and thought it went well. And then, maybe an hour and a half later: “They sent an offer letter already!” Our son is employed! We’re thrilled for him. And it’s here in the same city where we and D19 already live, so the whole family remains together. Couldn’t be happier!

27 Likes

That’s great news! Congratulations :confetti_ball:

1 Like

Woo Hoo! Congratulations!

1 Like

Congrats @OctoberKate and @Vineyarder Good luck to both of them in their new jobs!

How’s the grad school crowd doing? S22 landed two interviews this week so I am breathing a bit easier.

6 Likes

D22 is currently applying to divinity schools with an eye toward some kind of congregational ministry (though an academic career is still on the table as well). It’s been interesting to observe this application process in comparison to the undergrad process that we all know and love - it’s much less competitive in general, since relatively few college graduates are interested in religious vocations, and personal recommendations play a larger role. She has submitted two applications this week and will have two more done by Jan 15. FriendlyWife, who is well-versed in the anxiety and uncertainty of the college admissions process after D22 and D26, has been fretting that D22 is only applying to four highly-regarded schools and “needs to add some safeties or something.” But based on the advice we’ve received from a couple of ministers who are familiar with the process, it’s fairly likely that D22 - coming from a rigorous undergrad with excellent personal and professional recs and an abiding passion for the field - will be admitted to all four, and almost unthinkable that she won’t get into at least two. We’ll see when decisions come out in March.

10 Likes

D22 (coming from same rigorous undergrad as @txfriendly D22) has applied to five of the 10 or possibly 11 schools on her list. She had a short interview with one. No word from any others yet, but she isn’t expecting to hear until Feb.

I was really hoping she’d finish the essays for the two schools due Jan 15, at least, but here we are. Hopefully tonight – she’s leaving tomorrow to go back to school. She did take the GRE on Jan 1 and scored pretty high (on verbal and writing – math was a smidge lower but she’s applying to SLP programs, so it’s fine).

She also walked around one school she applied to with a friend who applied there for a PhD program – both liked it, but they said they’d wait and see what acceptances came in.

SLP programs are so iffy – some schools might like her perfect GPA and reputation of her undergrad program, plus her unique path into it – but seats are so limited that it’s possible she won’t get in anywhere.

4 Likes

S22 just submitted his application for the one master’s program he’s interested in. If that doesn’t come through, he plans to head to NYC, for years, the city of his dreams. He’s been in college on the West Coast and has loved his experience there, but is determined to make a go of it in NYC as a documentary filmmaker. I can’t think of anything less practical or likely to make rent. So he’s going to have to hustle to make it work and find some roommates and a super cheap room. I’m fully panicked for him but I guess this is the time of life to take the greatest risks. I also know there is no way he wants to return to our rural Wyoming town so perhaps that will be another driving factor for him to find a way to survive in the city. Oi…am I the only parent that told their kid to pursue their dreams with absolutely no emphasis on practicality? :face_with_peeking_eye:

6 Likes

You and me both - mine is also pursuing a really impractical art dream with very low chance of success (though if she ends up in NY, which is where she too wants to be, I suspect she’d love to meet a guy making cool documentaries. Maybe we should connect them :rofl:). In her case she is completely responsible for supporting herself after college (she can move home which she very much doesn’t want to do except maybe briefly to make some money but there is no money available to support her otherwise and even here she’d have to share some expenses).

2 Likes

@Evie800 @Juno16

I moved to NYC fresh out of college in 1995, but I had an internship in hand for the summer. My long-distance boyfriend was also moving there fresh out of college (we had met the summer before in an internship), and he had a job in hand. That helped a lot.

I lived in the NYU dorm – which wasn’t cheap, but it was reasonably safe temporary housing until I could find an apartment. This was still in the days of newspaper apartment listings, and finding a place was kind of hellish – everything affordable was already gone by the time I called. My first place was a 200 square foot studio on the upper eastside that faced a brick wall. It was $850 a month, and they required first month’s rent, last month’s rent, AND a security deposit equal to one month’s rent before I could reserve it. (I had to call my parents and ask for $2,500.) I can’t even imagine what that apartment costs now. (Boyfriend snagged a place 11 blocks away that was even crappier, lol.)

Still, life in NYC had a certain charm. Boyfriend and I stayed for six years, getting married three years in, and we loved most things about life there. (He was a rural kid, and I had grown up in standard suburbia.) We both ended up working for some high-profile companies, and life was just so fun and fast-paced and crazy, and we truly felt like we were invincible.

I do think it’s an amazing way to start out adulthood, and I encourage any young person to try if, especially if it’s the dream. But, it’s hard. I lived over a Pick-a-Bagel, where a bagel plus cream cheese was $2.50 or so. They were giant, so often that was my lunch AND dinner. That, or a slice of pizza from next door, or an order of dumplings…I miss NYC takeout, lol. But even though I had a good corporate job, money just doesn’t go very far.

We didn’t leave until we started talking about having kids, and we realized we didn’t want to bring them up in the city.

6 Likes

I mean, there is a reason that “starving artist” is an actual term! My S22 will also be fully on his own to support himself. I’ve encouraged him to come home for the summer after graduation and work as many hours as possible at the local diner, where he’s guaranteed a job, and save as much as possible before he heads to NYC. And for sure, if your D22 ends up there, we should touch base. I bet any and all connections in that city could be valuable!

2 Likes

We are also in the boat of the “impractical” career aspirations. D22 will graduate with a double degree and a 4.0 gpa, which is not at all relevant, as she wants a job in politics or policy related non profit work. All that counts in that world is connections and networking, which she is not good at (by her own admission and she comes by it honestly, as neither her dad nor I are much good at this either). The current state of the country doesn’t exactly help things either ….

It’s still early days and I trust in her grit though. She is also pretty open to where she lands geographically (except for at home, which is where I might have a few connections, but what do I know :wink: )

6 Likes

Thank you so much for your story of NYC as a young couple. I’m sure everything is much more expensive today, but I’m betting the experience for 20 somethings is similar and I completely understand what my S22 is yearning for. I hope he can have a similar experience. He said he’s willing to live in a hole-in-the-wall room and eat packaged ramen to make it work. We shall see. I also really would love for him to find a job before he goes, but he has some friends who went to NYU and is planning to crash with them until he finds something and gets on his feet. Not sure how long they will be willing to put up with him though. I also have my fingers crossed on the wild card for graduate school!

4 Likes