@DreamerMom I think UNC-Charlotte has a cyber security option too if you haven’t already checked that out. Congrats on the 36 ACT — that is impressive!
@AgeofAquarius that is definitely not my DD’s area of interest, but here in NC, NCSU is a pretty good school for that sorta thing.
My dd22 is thrilled with her 28 ACT and doesn’t plan to take any more tests. I’m fine with that. She is focused on Creative Writing. She got a 36 on the reading portion, and a 30-something on the English. I can’t remember exactly and don’t have the scores handy. She did okay on Science and not so great in Math as expected. She is not a Math kid, but that’s okay. She did find the English and Reading super easy and that is what she is interested in studying.
She is really interested in going to university in the UK right now. It is surprisingly not that expensive compared to private schools in the US. It will be a little more than in-state tuition in North Carolina, but on par with the private schools and out of state schools she is planning on applying to. Tuition is around $17000 - $25000. Sometimes the accommodation is included, sometimes it is separate. Depends on the uni.
She will apply to some different schools here in the US too, but she is not that thrilled with any of them. We are sending her to a writing camp at Hollins this summer which she is looking forward to so I am hopeful that might spark a little more interest in going to college at Hollins in case she gets cold feet about the UK or it doesn’t work out for whatever reason. She has a friend who is a year older who has been accepted at Hollins this fall. I’m also going to have her look at Roanoke College on the front or back end of the writing camp week.
I don’t mind her going to the UK at all, but just worry about her getting homesick and not being happy. She’s pretty good at advocating for herself and I wouldn’t call her shy, but she is a bit of an introvert and it could be a difficult transition into a whole different culture, but that is a huge part of the appeal for her too. I could see her making friends right away at Freshers week or being too nervous and feeling like she made a mistake. I don’t want to project anything on her, though, so am keeping my counsel for now. We are hoping to get over to the UK when the COVID travel restrictions lift over there, ideally that would be in August when she has time off from school, but we may have to look at winter break instead if things aren’t happening that soon. She needs to get her AP scores, but the 28 ACT should be fine for all the UK unis she is looking at.
And OMG she is soooooo done with online school. Luckily it is her Spring Break next week and the week after she goes back in person for one week on (with masks and social distancing) and then one week remote.
And we all got our first round of vaccines, so it is feeling like there is a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel.