Parents of the HS Class of 2023

This article gives more details of his background: https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/02/08/how-i-went-from-troubled-foster-kid-to-scholar-at-yale-and-cambridge/amp/

I’m not not in favor of TO. I just think that it’ll be hard to incentivize my particular kid to do well on tests that might have no bearing on merit awards.

We need mondo merit. But he’s a white male from a generally upper-middle-class background, no athletics, no hooks like playing the French horn or whatever a school might desperately be in need of in any given year.

I love him dearly and he has a quality GPA (but not perfect) and lots of great ECs, but they aren’t gonna get him any money.

So he needs to shine somewhere, and I’ve been hoping test scores might do the trick.

ETA
Then again, I just need to stand down. He’s doing great. We could cash-flow the Temples or Pitts of the world, with just a student loan and no merit, and he’d be wonderfully happy at either.

Sometimes I make myself crazy for nothing.

1 Like

Hi @tombrady123 and welcome to our little neurotic parents’ group! I’m sure your leadership ECs helped but honestly, they didn’t tip the scales in your Harvard admission, surely?

@Gatormama i heart you. Same here. I feel the same except my kid is hooked. I don’t think that matters for merit. I was planning on merit scholarships based off his SAT also. I need to stop driving myself crazy. I can pay if I stop eating out and traveling for 4 years. I just don’t want to.

1 Like

The goal is to make sure our crazy isn’t in fact making our kids anxious and ruining their mental health. I see way too many college kids at work who are depressed and suicidal due to unnecessary pressures set on them.

3 Likes

I think they had a really significant impact, especially hosting a community tree-planting event. I wrote my essay about that, and after viewing my admissions file, it seems like they really liked seeing the initiative that I took. Your kids can also do it if they are interested! I worked with the non-profit Tree-Plenish that helps students plan tree-planting events to offset their school’s paper usage

1 Like