Pending Green Card : Can I get Federal Aid from FAFSA a year after graduation?

Hello!

I’m a high school senior graduating in June 2016 and I’m still on a Dependent L2 Visa. I’m expecting a green card by late 2016. So is it possible to apply for federal aid for the year 2017 and till my college graduation?

FAFSA doesn’t give you aid. The colleges do. Once you have your green cRd, you can file the FAFSA.

You have to wait until you have the correct status to file the FAFSA. If you do get green card status in 2016, you can then still file for 2016-17. You can file that FAFSA until June 2107.

If you don’t get it by Sept 1, you might want to consider deferring your start date of college.

Also keep in mind…filing a FAFSA guarantees you a Direct Loan…and nothing else unless you are low income.