Hi everyone! I was fortunate enough to have been admitted to all four of those universities. I also got into a few others, but I already turned them down, as these are my top 4 choices
I’m interested in studying IR and East Asian studies, mainly korean. If I do huntsman, I’ll do a dual degree in international studies and business! I’m definitely interested in pursuing korean language in college, and it is my area concentration regardless of the college I decide to attend. I wanted to know if anyone had a feel for yale v penn v gtown specifically since they’re probably my top 3! I’m interested in NGO work and I’m not as big in representing specific nations as a future career. I know DC has a lot of internships but they are also wicked competitive and especially at gtown, I’m just one of hundreds of IR majors, so the competition is fierce. DC internships aren’t a selling point to me specifically. I did love the college when I visited, but I didn’t like atomosphere as much as some other colleges, but nothink that was a deal breaker. Their IR program is the bomb though. Huntsman would allow me to obtain more opportunities I think? I’m visiting tomorrow and talking with the korean target language huntsman so I’ll find out more. Yale… Honestly I have no info about their East Asian studies program so if you could give me info, that’d be great!
I wouldn’t dismiss Columbia from consideration. NYC has incredible opportunities and there is even a Koreatown there now.
Hi,
I happen to run into this post and signed up to give you some advice.
I attended a DC school and like you said getting internship in DC is real competitive.
It is true that one of advantages DC schools have is the internship opportunities, however everyone basically has a degree from either SAIS, SFS, and Elliott and chosing out of the pool can be very selective.
Moreover, majority of these people want to work for the government after they graduate and since you are going for NGO, I do not think going to a DC school is worth the money.
I honestly do not know about Yale’s Asian Studies, but they all are great schools. However if you are more business focused, I would say Penn would be the best choice since their Asian Studies program is nationally known and also have the best program in business.
What specific programs did you apply for (Yale, Columbia, and Georgetown)? IR in general or Asian Studies? Did you receive any fundings? Knowing these answers would help me to answer your questions in more detail!
Huntsman is awesome and would be really hard for me to turn down to be honest. It’s insanely competitive so the fact that you got it is a huge accomplishment. But keep in mind, Huntsman students apparently live in special housing with other kids in the program (or so I’ve heard from a friend at Penn). That really changes the whole college dynamic.
Going to Georgetown doesn’t guarantee you any internship in DC. Many of my friends at far off colleges have actually had more luck at getting internships there.
I didn’t think people who turned down the Huntsman Program even existed. It’s by far your best option and the best bang for your buck too!
Yeah I was just pointing out that every other person who I asked for advice assumed I’d get a D.C. internshipsand what was why they wanted me to attend there @Melissawilliams @NewClear for gtown it was SFS, yale and columbia don’t have any specific special programs like penn for freshmen applicants. I have only gotten gtown and columbia FA packages, but since they’re all 100% need met, I won’t have to decide really based on FA, I have some small scholarships to help supplement the cost, or I can appeal, like I did for gtown and got it down 10k. Huntsman does have their own dorm and I’ll be living in it starting tomorrow! I’m not opposed to it at all, and they seem to get out into th penn community, it’s like the other residential programs at penn that you apply into so huntsman people aren’t the only ones in that situation
for Yale I did East Asian studies, and columbia too as well, and second choice was IR! For Huntsman, I actually never thought I would get in, better yet get a likely letter for it! I honestly didn’t have a chance to really consider the business aspect of it since I live in the countryside where we have a country store and a gas station so business wasn’t big here! I finally got to take our school’s only econ class and I sm enjoying it and seeing the work of De Soto and studying it has me thinking that I’d like to do something like that someday! Providing I like Philly I think it’s a strong possibility for me~
I think it’d be hard to find a job if you major in East Asian studies. A degree from Wharton is truly an epitome of success. You’ll have a myriad of options right of the back. People will beg for you! Hahah
Haha east Asian studies is more of a precursor to a law degree XD or a masters in it haha
I hope so~! Ill be graduating without debt which will rock so I don’t have to worry about loans unless I go finish my MBA at Wharton or go onto law school 
Georgtown ranks the best at IR in the US, so, if you are commited to that major, go for it.
I just think that since Huntsman is such a small, focused program, you will have access to way more opportunities and internships. I think people are forgetting that SFS at Georgetown and anything at Yale or Columbia would just be majors. Huntsman is a program. You’d literally be getting two degrees, which is super awesome. And I’m pretty sure you could still take East Asian language classes - there is flexibility. And of course there are endless study abroad opportunities. If you liked Econ, getting to take classes at Wharton (the top undergrad business program) is awesome.
Right off their website: “Huntsman offers Summer Study Grants and Huntsman Program internships with foreign organizations and firms. You’ll also have access to Huntsman sponsored events, such as roundtable discussions with prominent members of the political and business worlds.”
Agree with the sentiments about Huntsman being your best choice. It’s a fairly well established program and gets you everything you need to set you up for what you want to do.
@Melissawilliams @dblazer thanks for the advice! I’m at penn now for Quaker days/ huntsman says and it’s amazing! My target language is korean so I have to take mandatory korean classes anyways. Huntsman does pay for the summer study and internships you want to do, as long as they’re legit, confirmed that today
and yeah Im liking it a lot!!
it’s a practical use of my interests versus just east asian studies at yale
i think I knew when I walked on campus that this was the “one” and they’ve been great to me so far 