Phrase needed: Too honest for one's own good?

<p>I'm doing some writing where I need to come up with alternative phrases or ways of expressing the idea of someone being too honest for his own good. Not in a bad way - rather, in the sense of someone who wears his heart on his sleeve. But those are both cliches. I need a non-cliched way of expressing this concept! Suggestions? Is there an adjective that sums it up? "Earnest" is the closest I can come, but it's not quite there.</p>

<p>Frank.</p>

<p>10 char</p>

<p>Candid.
Open.
Naive.</p>

<p>I like earnest a lot, though.</p>

<p>Transparent.</p>

<p>Undiplomatic.</p>

<p>Too Blunt.</p>

<p>No filter - goes straight from the brain to the mouth. Say what they think.</p>

<p>guileless, </p>

<p>maybe ingenuous.</p>

<p>obvious
blatant</p>

<p>I was going to say earnest but you say it isn't quite capturing it. </p>

<p>Have you checked out visual thesaurus? I love it! Thinkmap</a> Visual Thesaurus - An online thesaurus and dictionary of over 145,000 words that you explore using an interactive map.</p>

<p>Though not sure it helped here. Some words I pulled from not mentioned above: wholehearted, true, not jaded, honorable, unfeigned, direct, forthright</p>

<p>Does tactless work?</p>

<p>Direct. Sincere.</p>

<p>I was going to say guileless, too.</p>

<p>Thanks - and thanks for the link! Guileless, sincere, ingenuous capture the spirit of what I'm looking for. I wasn't going in the direction of undiplomatic or tactless at all, but I can see why someone might have headed there.</p>

<p>conscientious, scrupulous</p>

<p>Too much of an open book</p>

<p>George Washington-ish</p>

<p>(I was wondering if ingenuous was the opposite of disingenuous... but perhaps not)</p>

<p>Direct
Straightforward
Unedited
Uncensored
Bold</p>

<p>Blunt
Excessively earnest
too thorough
thoughtless
ruthless
harsh
brash
heedless
indelicate
undiplomatic
ungracious</p>

<p>I like forthright the best of the bunch. It's reasonably positive, but you can definitely be too forthright.</p>