Pitt to assign career consultants to new students

<p>This will be of interest:</p>

<p>Pitt</a> to assign career consultants to new students | The Pitt News</p>

<p>I am of two minds about this. For the focused student who goes in knowing what he or she wants, it's great. But I think I read somewhere that 70% of entering freshmen ultimately change their majors. I know that was true for my daughter. But I guess it doesn't hurt to chat with a career consultant, just to know what's out there in the real world.</p>

<p>Well, the first comment on the linked page was certainly eloquent. </p>

<p>This sounds like a good option to me, but not necessarily to put someone on track for a certain job. I hope that it will be more like a career exploration program--and it is hard to tell from the little article. Young people are very limited knowing what types of jobs they can get with a certain major. If the counselors can help direct that, I am all for it.</p>

<p>When my daughter headed off for college with a major in mind, I said, "I think that it is great that you want to major in Japanese and gain knowledge and broaden your life experiences. However, the real reason you are going to college is so that you can get a J-O-B, so you might want to consider a double major." So far, so good.</p>