Planned Parenthood vs Clinic for uninsured

<p>I've been given the opportunity to intern at one of these places. At planned parenthood I could do patient counseling and give people results, working with teens with sex education, and maybe even some public policy. My opportunities at the free clinic would also be similar. I would be able to help with health screening, work with their teen group, community outreach, and some office work. </p>

<p>I am having trouble deciding between the two places. Planned parenthood everyone is familiar with, so if anyone's had any interning/volunteering experience there I would love to hear about it. I feel like I would be able to get more involved at free clinic and probably hang out for longer than just the fall semester. On the other hand, they don't have a system set up for interns. Has anyone had experience at a similar clinic?</p>

<p>Any input would be appreciated, thanks so much!</p>

<p>Free clinic all the way. It'll offer better opportunities without any potential for the stigma PP can have (esp. among more conservative adcoms). I doubt anyone would particularly stigmatize you for working w/ PP but being as free clinics are generally seen as positive by most everyone, whereas PP is not, the answer seems pretty clear.</p>

<p>^ I heard the same. PP could be a risk. Fortunately, DS is not that liberal. He seems to get along with both conservative professors and liberal ones. His roommate is even "pro-life." Some very liberal students at his school may even think it is their "calling" to do some noble work for PP. Most of these "social movement" enthusiastics are not premed.</p>

<p>I don't think it is worth it to pick an internship solely based on what is less controversial, I think it would be best to pick one that you are would enjoy the most/feel most passionate about. Most doctors are pretty cool/reasonable people, and would not reject someone because they disagree with their position (I had a mock interview with a physician who was older and was clearly on the opposite side of the political spectrum as me, and we disagreed about recent healthcare reform, but he still gave me good marks on the evaluation because I backed up my claims with logic and was willing to listen to the other side).</p>

<p>I think LB is right, but where it's close I don't see any harm in going with the less controversial one.</p>

<p>LB, I certainly agree that in most cases it shouldn't matter. At the same time, I think it is generally wise to stick to the more conservative (not politically conservative) approach since so many adcoms have many older physicians with more traditional views. It is a well-documented fact that interviewers tend to give higher ratings to candidates who agree with them -- regardless of the relevance of the topic upon which there may be disagreement. In other words, the perception of disagreement that an interviewer might take away could bias his/her judgments in a negative manner.</p>

<p>As a result, unless the more controversial internship is clearly superior, I see no reason to favor it. In this case, even without the controversy involved, I believe the free clinic stands a much better chance of being an excellent experience for the OP as free clinics generally have more of a need for voluntary help and are much more likely to allow the OP to become involved clinically at greater levels.</p>

<p>Yeah that is all good advice, in the case of ceteris paribus I would go with the less controversial one too. I hope I used fancy Latin correctly in that sentence.</p>

<p>The reason I didn't think PP would carry a stigma is that I assumed many docs would be pro-choice, but I must admit I am not very educated on that topic.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Going with the less controversial one would therefore make it worth it, no? Guess it's all relative anyway.</p>