Please chance a girl for RD at yale? ;)

<p>Stats:
GPA (unweighted): 3.80, at least top 15% in class
SAT 780 CR/ 780 M/ 750/ W --> 1560/2310
SAT II 720 Math II, 740 Literature, 770 US History (planning to take Chinese w/listening in november, expecting 780-800)
Major Extracurriculars:
Paid intern for state governor (he is writing a personal recommendation letter for me)
Mock Trial: runner-up state champions in 2009, state champions and national champions in 2010, state champions and 8th place in nationals in 2011
Science Research: 400+ hours in lab, siemens semi-finalist 2011
Editor-in-Chief of school newspaper
A bunch of volunteer work w/nursing homes, elementary schools, etc. (around 400 hours total?)
Attended EPGY summer 2010</p>

<p>Race: Asian American
Will apply for financial aid
thank you guys so much! im really anxious about getting into yale, I love it so much! :)</p>

<p>Your SAT score and the governor's recommendation should help. Top 15% of your class doesn’t help at Yale (though it partly depends on the level of competition at your school). The mock trial success might help if you can make a convincing case that you played a big role (as opposed to being carried by your team). </p>

<p>You're probably one of the many talented applicants who might, or might not, get in.</p>

<p>Your extracurricular activities are very strong and should help you. </p>

<p>You have the requisite SAT scores (I wouldn't bother with the Chinese w/listening). </p>

<p>Admission will hinge on what your transcript looks like- i.e, how rigorous was your academic program, what grades you got in which classes, what your AP scores are, and what your recommendation letters from your teachers and counselor will say about you as a student and you as a person. And of course, your essays.</p>

<p>Hey all, I took the most rigorous classes available at my school. i go to a competitive private school. Also, my recs and essays should be good... I'm still working on them lol :p</p>

<p>
[quote]
You have the requisite SAT scores (I wouldn't bother with the Chinese w/listening).

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Agree, particularly if you are a native Chinese speaker.</p>

<p>bump... bump... any more thoughts about my chances? ;)</p>

<p>Only being in the top 15% of your class, and only 3.8 UW GPA, worries me for Yale. And do not take the SAT II Chinese if you are Chinese. That looks bad. Some schools specifically say not to do that. It appears that you are trying to game the system by taking a test in your "native" language. All in all, I think it will be a crapshoot. Recs and essays will be critical - so work hard on them. Good luck though! :)</p>

<p>I think it is slightly better than a crapshoot but not a sure thing by any means. I assume "at least top 15%" means that the school does not release exact class rank. The LORs will have to be really strong and will have to essentially explain why despite a not-too spectacular GPA, she is the most worthy of being admitted to Yale. Could happen.</p>

<p>bump.... 10CHAR
ALL thoughts/comments appreciated!! :)
Also, I expect to have a 3.82 by the end of first semester, which should bump my rank up into the top 10%
Thank you!</p>

<p>
[quote]
And do not take the SAT II Chinese if you are Chinese. That looks bad. Some schools specifically say not to do that. It appears that you are trying to game the system by taking a test in your "native" language.

[/quote]
One comment on this--I don't think it's so much that schools don't want you to take the test in your native language--they just don't want you to use it as one of your two required Subject Tests. So take it if you want to, but at schools with score choice, don't make it one of only two you report. I agree that it probably won't really help you, no matter how well you do.</p>