<p>Senior Class Pres
Junior ASB Officer
Sophomore ASB Officer
Dorm Monitor
Campus Tour Guide</p>

<p>Extensive volunteer at nonprofit/outreach/teaching science</p>

<p>Sailing/Officer</p>

<p>Excellent refs </p>

<p>So far applied EA Stanford, and chosen by school to apply for Morehead Cain at UNC</p>

<p>RD: Wash U, Brown, Princeton, NW, UCs (Cal resident), USC (safety).</p>

<p>Interested in bio/med: other suggestions?</p>

<p>Johns Hopkins.</p>

<p>What about her chances at the other schools?</p>

<p>duke's good for bio too</p>

<p>she fell in love with the marine science facility at Stanford. That's something she taught to local kids.</p>

<p>Stanford, Brown and Princeton will be a reach. NW & WU should be an easy match. Morehead-Cain will be a super reach, but if she gets it, she should seriously consider it against a Stanford nod. The kids who get moreheads turn down HYPS or vice versa. It'll be a tough decision. Good luck!</p>

<p>If she likes Brown, Princeton, and WashU she might like Dartmouth or Duke. Both have great med schol placement rates. My experience is places like Hopkins are weeders and while the top 5% of hopkins grads are helped, many get hurt by the competitiveness. Personally I've seen that for med school acceptance you go to the best school, with the best overall name, with the most grade inflation.</p>

<p>Thanks! She was notified Friday she made the finals for Morehead (out of state)...we're very excited, because the more I read about it, the more it suits her (very socially conscious and well-balanced....)</p>

<p>She also has decided to include Dartmouth and Duke....thanks for the suggestions. She did CTY, but has no interest in JHU. </p>

<p>By the way, one of her awards was an RPI Medal....I didn't even know what that was until I started reading this forum! Do they all come with a scholarship?</p>

<p>Also, there's more to her app that I didn't say....like she transferred to an east coast boarding school junior year because she got very ill and had to withdraw from her old school in San Diego while she recovered the year before.....she decided to try something different....and was elected Senior class president at the end of her first year at the boarding school. Plus, her teachers absolutely love her....and her rank has gone up this year. </p>

<p>She only took the SAT once, which I thought made sense since she's been carrying 5 APs each year. However, seeing so many kids on this forum OBSESSED with perfect SAT scores, now I wonder.....should she have taken it again???? Well, it's too late now....she hears from Stanford on Saturday...</p>

<p>Thanks again for your suggestions.....</p>

<p>Hey!</p>

<p>Good luck with Morehead! My brother went to UNC, its a fantastic school and Morehead is an amazing program/ scholarship. Dartmouth and Duke are great additions and you never know. When I applied to colleges I added a couple of top schools at the last minute and those ended up being my favorite options! </p>

<p>Don't worry about the SAT. Its already very strong and putting her in a very favorable academic tier when it comes to admissions even at the Ivies.</p>

<p>Pretty good. Everything is possible. But Princeton and Stanford will be super super reaches. Her EC's are mediocre at best for these schools and she is completely unhooked from what I can tell (not first gen,urm, athlete, legacy, donor's kid, faculty brat, socioeconomic, top research awards, state positions). I think that she has a good chance everywhere else though.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Yes....I understand Stanford is a reach for everyone anyway. </p>

<p>Her main EC is extensive volunteering (more than full time x two summers plus, plus) with a local outreach program teaching science in low income schools. She's the only high school student they ever allowed to teach in the classroom, and her extra reference was written by the director, who loves her. But she only has a couple more.....plus the leadership roles and some theatre. The thing is, she loves this outreach organization with a passion, so I encouraged her to do what she loved...not what would be a "hook." Same with crew, which she did one year and was going to continue at the boarding school. Instead, she fell in love with the school's sailing ship and became an officer on it. When she asked me what to choose (knowing crew was a "hook"), again I said "do what you love..." and she chose the ship. She does get to sail it back from the Carribbean in March, so even if it means no Stanford, I still think she made the right choice.</p>

<p>Yes well unfortunately schools won't see that. Its quite telling of her character to do hat she loves and not what would get into her college. too bad admissions doesn't work like that.</p>

<p>I think so also....they claim to want passionate, involved students, but it really comes down to numbers, doesn't it! I still respect her for her choices, no matter what happens.</p>

<p>In my experience unhooked kids with incredible stats get WL/ rejected from the HYP schools and into 50-60% of schools in the Brown, Duke, Dartmouth, Amherst category. Its why I think beefing up the list in that group is a good strategy. I also personally believe that these schools offer the best (particularly Dartmouth lol) educational experiences in the country.</p>

<p>Yup. Dartmouth undergrad is only marginally lower than Yale or princeton in my opinion.</p>

<p>It's too bad when the schools don't interview....she's especially dynamic in person....she's actually a member of SAG...but hasn't really done anything professional since middle school. She's also the top math student at her HS....AP Multi-something calculus- and her Asian friends think it's funny she's blonde and blue-eyed! Must be the sushi.....</p>

<p>What is more prestigious, a degree from Amherst or a degree from Dartmouth or Columbia?</p>