Please Help! 3.0 GPA, BHSEC student (graduate HS w/ AA), 4 year community EC, 1560 PSAT [NY resident, <$12k]

I need serious help with application strategy!! To keep a long story short, I am a senior only recently diagnosed and treated for inattentive ADHD. I feel extremely misrepresented by my GPA but there is nothing I can do about it. The schools I want to go to are prestigious liberal arts colleges, so I need serious help with making sure my application tells my story. I am deeply interested in both the science of the body and global relations, and I really want to go somewhere with study abroad opportunities. Undoubtedly, I am going to be applying to dream schools that are mega reaches. I know I could EXCEL at these schools now that I am medicated, so I couldn’t live with myself if I didn’t at least try. I have already gone through the extreme hopelessness surrounding the college app process so I am posting in hopes of

  1. the most stand out, audacious, lowkey insane strategies or actions I can take to get a spot at Wellesley or Wesleyan
  2. recommendations for targets that have similar vibes or can provide a cool experience (east coast please!)

Demographics

  • US citizen
  • State/Location of residency: New York
  • Type of high school : Bard High School Early College
  • Other special factors: (first generation to college, legacy, recruitable athlete, etc.)

Cost Constraints / Budget
around 12k out of pocket

Intended Major(s):

Undecided, but most interested in

  • Bio-Chemistry
  • Global Relations/Studies
  • Biology
  • Theology/Philosophy

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

  • Unweighted HS GPA: 3.0
  • College GPA: 3.0
  • SAT Scores: 1560 on my last PSAT

List your HS coursework

This semester, I am taking

  • English: 2 Literature Electives (Dual enrollment), Sophomore Seminar 1&2 (dual enrollment)
  • Math: Calculus II (dual enrollment)
  • Science: Biology of Cancer (Dual enrollment), Ecology (Dual enrollment), Positive Psychology (College Course)
  • History and social studies: Global Studies Independent Study
  • (I have my language requirements at both the high school and college level)

Extracurriculars

  • 4 year tiered apprenticeship at a major city garden
  • Independent tutoring of a student in Biology
  • Schoolhouse SAT R&W tutoring
  • Currently working as a lab tech at my school
  • Ushering at the New York City Center
  • Founded and ran school multicultural club

Essays/LORs/Other
Pretty strong LORS (or at least undoubtedly the strongest I could get) - one from the teacher I am doing an independent study with, for ex.

Schools
Dreams:

  1. WELLESLEY COLLEGE (ED2)
  2. Wesleyan University

Schools I am applying to:

  • Haverford
  • Swarthmore
  • SUNY Stonybrook
  • Boston College
  • Amherst
  • Oberlin
  • Trinity
  • SUNY New paltz
  • SUNY Genaseo
  • Hunter
  • still trying to build this list!!

i would seriously appreciate this very very much. I am seriously struggling right now!

Do you mean SAT or is that a typo? The max PSAT score is 1520.

1 Like

So the best way to face things - is to face them without panic.

The first thing I wonder is - what can your parents afford, according to the schools.

So have them fill out the net price calculator for those that meet need.

I put three below - do they say it will be $12K? If not, no reason to apply to them. Note, they, not you should fill out.

Next, you have to be realistic. You have a 3.0 - so applying to top schools is unlikely to yield a positive result, regardless of your story. It doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try - and teacher and counselor recs can help if they note your diagnosis. But they are unlikely. But you’ve already won if you’ve resolved a past issue that’s hampered you.

There are many LACs that would love to have you - but maybe can’t spend to the level you need - like a Susquehanna or Ursinus or Juniata or Washington College of MD.

So the reality is - Harverford, Swat, Amerhst, Oberlin and Trinity are unlikely - but the last two better odds - but if you get in, will they come in at cost?

I think New Paltz and Geneseo are great gets. I would also add some others such as Plattsburgh, Oneonta and Brockport. But the issue is cost - living costs (room and board) alone will be over $12K.

If your family is low income, through NY State, you can possibly get free tuition via, I believe the Excelsior Scholarship. But room and board will still take you over $12K.

Since you’re trying to build your list, I would look at schools like Mass College of Liberal Arts, U Maine Farmington, etc. These are low cost - but not low enough - but if your family can go up.

Finally, if you got a top PSAT (I’m guessing you mean SAT given the score), are you a national merit semi finalist (U Tulsa could be an option) or finalist - there are several schools like Alabama, UT Dallas and more - that would beat your cost.

But relax and take a deep breath. If you end up at your home state public or a community college due to cost, there is nothing wrong with that. Many do - and then they save money so they have more to spend their final two years.

Good luck.

Have your folks do these below to see what they say cost wise. If they’re over budget, sorry - you have to remove them.

Welcome | Net Price Calculator

Welcome | Net Price Calculator

Welcome | Net Price Calculator

Hi OP! Congrats on getting your ADHD under control. That’s huge, and will pay dividends for the rest of your life.

Can you clarify your budget-- you’ve got a modest cap. Does that mean your family WILL qualify for enough aid to attend, or will not?

And can you describe what it is about Wellesley and Wesleyan that excite you?

Forget study abroad as a qualifier- that’s everywhere. Colleges that don’t have their own program have affiliations with other schools.

Once we’ve got a handle on the finances and the “this excites me” list, I’m sure we can come up with a few realistic options for you.

2 Likes

It’s important to face the fact that if 12K is your total “out of pocket” budget that you’re, in essence, hoping to get a full-ride, need-based scholarship to nearly every school on your list. You have to start running net price calculators.

As duplicate accounts are not permitted on CC, I’m closing this thread. OP is welcome to post under their original account on their current chance me.