I don’t have these. Do I need them? How do you use them? Are they less useful if I usually have several items that I hang up at destination when I travel? I tend to wear dresses or blouses with jeans. Of course I have socks, undies, jammies, etc. Sweaters if going somewhere cold.
My son got me some a few years ago. I was skeptical at first but they are great. eBags. I use one for underwear, one for socks, etc. But they are versatile and can be used for whatever way works best for you. They are not something you necessarily “need” but they are nice to have.
Got some for my daughter who travels a lot. She loves them. They can help to compress clothes, but more importantly help her keep different categories of clothes organized.
I love mine, bought them at TJ Maxx
I love mine and also have a packing folder which is my favorite piece - mine are all Eagle Creek brand. We travel fairly often, usually for more than a week, and can do it all with just one carryon per person (no checked bags) with the help of the cubes. They also make unpacking a breeze. I’ve been using them since 2010 and they still look new.
I love having packing cubes for week-plus length trips, especially when we’re changing locations several times. It makes it so much easier to stay organized, and the repacking is also easier
Eagle Creek cubes and folders here too. I like the way the cubes help me keep everything organized. No digging to the bottom of a suitcase to find a pair of socks! The folders work well for many things you don’t want to get wrinkled. You can fluff them out and put them on hangers at your destination.
We picked ours up at a Container Store travel sale twelve years ago. If you have a Container Store near you, keep your eyes peeled for the next sale like that.
What’s a packing “folder” @MamaBear16 and @happymomof1 ??
Okay, I googled it. Is it primarily for shirts? Is there just one “board” per folder?
I used a primitive version of packing cubes when we traveled when my kids were little and all shared a suitcase/duffel. I used the plastic squares that bedding and pillows came in, space bags, or large zip tops. It was easy to pack an outfit for the day, or keep one kids’ clothes together. It was also suggested (warned) to do this in the unlikely but unhappy chance that the duffel was ripped by the airline and then all those little socks wouldn’t be all over the baggage claim.
I’d love to have the fancy cubes now.
We also use large ziplocs. The air can be squished out and they’ll lie somewhat flat.
Although we do reuse them, to be greener I should probably get some cubes.
There is only one board per packing folder. You fold a shirt with the board, pull the board out and use it on the next shirt. I bought a packing folder for my husband because he likes to look neat and he was packing challenged. Now if he has a short trip while I am away from home he can pack on his own.
Amazon has lots of options at different prices , including eBags and Eagle Creek brands.
I use sturdy plastic bags saved from clothes and other purchases. They are free. light and leave no empty space in a suitcase.
We travel quite a bit and neither dh nor I really like them. Since I bought them (guessing I would find them helpful) I now use the smallest one for my cords and chargers. Once in awhile, I’ll use one for all my undies and socks but, otherwise, I just see it as one more thing to have to unzip/zip and deal with. I do tend to unpack when I go places; perhaps they’re more useful when you don’t and then can more quickly find the item you’re looking for (?).
I use them both for organizational reasons and to make it easier for the TSA people to search my bag without pawing through my underwear when my bag is selected for extra special attention.
Have used them but they are not for me. I like to pack quickly. When returning I like to get it in the suitcase any way I can because it is just going to be washed anyway. I could see using it, if you had little kids or were super organized. But I’m trying not to buy anything that doesn’t improve my life or make me happier. That would fall into the category of 10,000 things I don’t want to have in my house. Prefer to keep my suitcase simple. I also threw away the insert for the new suitcase as I never used the old one.
I don’t use mine to repack with dirty laundry. I usually just throw dirty stuff in a plastic bag and throw the bag in a suitcase. I am definitely not the “super organized” type!
They make packing and organization much easier. Everyone in our house has their own color.
One bonus is that it allows for better load equalization by having multiple different people per suitcase. Also was very helpful when we lost a suitcase on a trip that was never found. Given that no one person’s things were all lost, we were able to move forward with the trip with no problems.
Rolling clothing helps with wrinkles. Some fabrics will wrinkle no matter what. Rolling and putting in packing cubes keeps your clothing from rolling all around in your suitcase. Your suitcase looks nice and neat, then you zip and lift it up and gravity takes hold. I rolled my clothes the first time in a carryon, no cubes, and things were nice and tight. But it is still unorganized. I finally broke down and tried them. I like the big ones for pants and shorts. I keep things all rolled up in it until I need it. Ones for undies and bras, one for misc. a couple for tops. I still hang things up. You’ll never know until you try it.
“I do tend to unpack when I go places; perhaps they’re more useful when you don’t and then can more quickly find the item you’re looking for .”
I would NEVER put my undies in a hotel drawer, just ugh. The cube allows me to have easy access to them - a cube works like a soft sided drawer for me.