Demographic: Israeli immigrant (middle eastern), middle class, competitive public school, PA.
I still technically count as an international because of my immigration status.
Academics: UW GPA: 3.93 W GPA: 4.33 SAT: 1500 super score (710 English and 790 math)
My weighted is pretty bad because during freshmen and sophomore year I took easier classes because I did not know what to expect, but I have an upward trend of increasingly harder classes each year.
I have taken mostly honors and APs. I took 1 AP sophomore year and 3 last year. I got 4s and one 5. I am taking 6 APs this year and I got 90+ on all during the first quarter, which should raise my W GPA a lot. My school doesn’t rank because it is a very competitive public school.
Major: bioengineering/biomedical engineering
ECs: This is probably my worst category.
- BBYO- Planned Jewish and Israeli programs and set up community service projects. Taught about the difference between Israeli and American culture. (Vice President)
- Key Club- I organized communication within the club, responsible for logistics, schedule, and roster. I also set up several community service projects. (Secretary)
- Community Program which I am not going to name- Educational enrichment program with experts in their fields, discussions about civil justice, discrimination, human rights, and current events. (No leadership available)
- Pantry Volunteer- I helped organize the food pantry, unload trucks, and come up with community service projects. (Community Service Project Manager)
- Jewish Culture Club- Set up events to teach about Jewish culture and foods. We also had a Holocaust memorial service. (Co-president)
- Physics Club- I organized engaging events to teach about physics in a remarkable way. One thing that I did was the bowling ball pendulum. (Event coordinator)
- Tutor for math- I tutored kids struggling with math. Specifically, I helped kids prepare for the Keystone exams. (no leadership available)
- Making an app with my friends about stocks and trading. I am technically the COO for this company.
- Piano- I am not great or anything but I can play.
- Rec Basketball- teamwork I guess.
- National Honor Society
- Math Honor Society (Mu Alpha Theta)
- Spanish Honor Society
- AP Scholar with Honor
- 1st Place Science Fair (local)
LORs and essays: I’d rate the LORs a solid 8.5 or 9 overall. I got my LORs from my AP Bio teacher that also taught me anatomy, AP Lang teacher, and precalc teacher. I also got one from my advisor for BBYO. My common app essay was about my move, a time a met a neo-nazi/KKK leader of my area/white-supremacist, and how cultures should be embraced, and my experience with that. I would guess it is a 9/10. I don’t want to rate my supplements but I do have a tutor that reads and edits them if that means anything.
There are some applications which I have not submitted yet and I have a question about ECs. I was at this summer thing at a local university which we learned about biology, neuroscience, genetics, etc. and then had a project at the end. Do you think that I should mention this (it wasn’t a competitive thing or anything like that)? If so, instead of which EC?
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Case Western University
Johns Hopkins University
University of Pittsburgh
University of Pennsylvania
SUNY Binghamton University
UNC Chapel Hill
Do you think I should add any schools?
Thank you if you actually took the time to read this whole thing!!