Poor SAT scores

<p>I took the SAT for the first time, with no preparation, in March of 2012. I am signed up to retake it on October 6th. My goal is reach a score of 1800 (all three sections). I just purchased a Barrons test prep book. I have heard it overprepares people, is this true? My previous score was a 1650. Is it possible to go up 150+ points by October sixth? If so, can you give me a few pointers? Thanks! </p>

<p>If it makes a differences, here are my scores:
CR-560
Math- 540
Writing- 550
Essay- 8</p>

<p>thank you!</p>

<p>Definitely within the realm of possibility, I've seen a 230 point jump in that time period. </p>

<p>As the previous poster said getting a 700 in math just requires doing the grunt work. The english doesn't come as easy, in my opinion it takes a good 9-12 months effort with an extensive focus on reading, vocabulary, comprehension and essay writing. </p>

<p>I knew a student who had the math skills but had quite a gap with respect to english. In less than a year it was closed and suprisingly the scores were higher than the math section.</p>

<p>Don't sell yourself short, aim for 2000+, it sounds like a cliche but if you relentlessly pursue the goal it will happen.</p>

<p>

Well probably not in 3 weeks time. Besides, what would that mean anyways. Probably best to spend as much time working on it as possible in the next 3 weeks.</p>

<p>Any tips on improving in the writing section?</p>

<p>go over every grammer rule.</p>