Possible...............music major

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I forget if I have posted anything on Stanford's forum, but...I have a lurking question, and I'm about to make my final college list..as in TONIGHT-only b/c i have to get all the stuff done asap. </p>

<p>anyways, to cut to the chase, i would like to know if Stanford is a good place...no, if stanford is a GREAT place to study music, maybe music performance (like voice). I saw that you can pick "tracks" and performance was one, BUT, i don't know if you can do voice. input would be greatly appreciated!!</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>No...if you want to have a career as a musician, go to a music school...music is definitely in the bottom 3 of all stanford dept's</p>

<p>There are many cheaper, less prestigious schools (in overall reputation) that have music programs better than Stanford's.</p>

<p>My bf is a master's music student, and he put it to me this way: to be a great musician, you have to focus on it and practice hours and hours every day. You have to truly want to be a musician. If you are good at something else, do that instead. This is why Cal State Long Beach is totally unheard of... just a little state school... but its music department is one of the best in the country. The musicians don't care about other grades; they care about their passion: music.</p>

<p>So... if you're serious about music, the above posts are right; Stanford isn't the place for you. But, if you're interested in other subjects as well, Stanford may very well be a great place for you.</p>