Postgrad Music Theory UK/US?

<p>Hi, am new here, surprised I haven't discovered this great forum until now. I am finishing my undergrad with honours on clarinet in Queensland, Australia and I'm looking at postgrad options. I have a deep passion for theory, and recently decided to pursuit that. I do compose and I am proficient on the piano.</p>

<p>As this is only a recent decision I am starting to read books on Shenkerian, neo-riemannian, kurthian and semiotics and absorb as much as I can and see what I really like. I have to say I'm enjoying Schenkerian analysis and just reading about semiotics. My Uni doesn't teach Schenkerian, but I'm thinking of finding a private tutor to help me with it (just for kicks for the time being).</p>

<p>The plan is to teach clarinet for a while and then go overseas to either UK or US to study masters or PhD (in my wildest dreams) in music theory. Although I'm not sure what I'd like to do specifically with theory I KNOW i love british music and particularly the works of Malcolm Arnold (honours thesis will be on his 9th symphony).</p>

<p>The Question is would it be more beneficial to study in UK (because i AM afterall studying a british composer's work) or to study in US (for the better professors i guess?) as I have to start doing some research into grants and scholarships as me nor my family could pay for international study $$.</p>

<p>I know US has a plethora of choices of good unis (ok, maybe a handful for good theory), how about UK? I heard oxford is good for theory?</p>

<p>Sorry for my first long post!
Clarinetcola</p>

<p>If it is music theory that you are interested in, then I don't think that the location (US vs. UK) is that crucial (assuming you are accepted at schools in each of equal calibre). If you are more interested in musicology or music history, then the country becomes more important if you are interested in things British.</p>

<p>Consider McGill: excellent university for music academics, tuition is usually much lower than many US or UK unis, and is in the Americas but part of the British Commonwealth (best of both worlds :)).</p>

<p>in the US, some programs in musicology don't have "theory" divisions per se - most of the theory departments are in the Northeast - Yale, Harvard, CUNY, Columbia, Princeton among others, but there is no music theory department at UC Berkeley, for example (and they don't have dedicated music theory faculty; those types of courses are taught by composers and adjuncts); University of Chicago has a PhD in music history/theory. You need to look at the websites for the grad programs to find out about how they work. The UK programs you should look at should include Cambridge, Oxford and King's London. The UK programs are much quicker to the PhD than those in the US.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the pointers, they are really helpful! although I haven't made up my mind w regards to UK/US at least I can look into specific unis from here on. Now for the scholarship hunt! <em>v</em></p>

<p>Hey there, I'm studying music history at Cambridge at the moment and will be heading to a PhD program in the US in the fall. If you have any questions, let me know.</p>