Preparation College for a University??

<p>Hey guys. Hope you guys can help me out here. </p>

<p>How are the pre-university colleges at the US like? How many years does it take? I've taken my A levels so am I eligible to skip to a year or so at the pre u college?</p>

<p>Most importantly, as I'm an international student, is there a higher chance of getting accepted if i enrol into a pre u college, then proceed eventually to the university of my choice, than say, I apply directly to the university from the country I am at now. </p>

<p>After Pre-U college, am I given an advance to the 2nd year at university?</p>

<p>Any recommendations for good reputable pre uni colleges, or perhaps some links which you could help with?</p>

<p>Guys, I really appreciate it alot...thanks man!!</p>

<p>Terminology may be a problem here; in the U.S. colleges are not "pre-university"--they are simply schools that do not have graduate programs. We do not have "pre-university colleges" per se: Our junior colleges and community colleges are two-year institutions that are generally used for a somewhat different purpose than preparing international students for four-year colleges and universities. Sometimes they serve as stepping stones for students who have not been as well prepared or as motivated in high school, and sometimes they provide sufficient education and training in their own right (associate degrees). Some have a more vocational orientation as well.</p>

<p>You might want to do some mroe research into the U.S. educactional system so that you can focus your query directly and accurately.</p>

<p>with an A-level degree, u can get into a 4-year college directly. just take the SATs (and TOEFL if your first language isnt' English), and you are all set to apply.</p>

<p>I see. I guess I'm referring to the junior colleges and community colleges. What are your views on these 2 year colleges in securing a transfer to prestigious universities?</p>

<p>In terms of cost, a 2 year junior college + 2 remaining years at a university would be more affordable than all 4 years at a university. That's quite a significant consideration to be noted. </p>

<p>Do share if you know of any good reputable 2 year colleges. I've looked through the web but they seem all the same to me. Thanks alot!</p>

<p>The two-year community colleges are attended by students who basically just live nearby. They are not chosen on a national level. It is thus hard to give you names of good ones. At the same time, I suppose that some are better than others. Going to a community college is done by some people in order to save money, but not all of the course credits may transfer to the four-year college. Usually they will if you transfer to the public university in the same state as the community college.</p>

<p>Keita, I agree with the poster mattmom. I have some friends in England who can't quite 'get' the American system of schooling -- nor can I 'get' the British system! ;)</p>

<p>In general, students gravitate directly from high school to four-year college ("university," if that helps). However, to save money, some students go to a two year college, then transfer out to a four year college ("university") to finish their other two years.</p>

<p>So there really is no "pre-university" college setting -- college and university is, for all practical purposes, the same thing.</p>

<p>I would be interested in an explanation of the British system. What is the difference between college and university?</p>